At what age did you first move out?

Options

Replies

• xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I personally could not wait to move out, I moved out 3 days after I graduated high school, joined the military, since then been living on my own, oh and I got out of the military 4 years after I got in, helped me establish myself.

I would tell myself that it will all be worth it and I would tell myself to save money and not to blow it off liek i did, and of course it was hard, but rewarding.

I believe that one should be willingly be allowed to move out if they want to, I personally do not want to live with my parents, I enjoy the freedom
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Great for you!!!! I want for my sons to experience this.

My husband and I have invested in our kids to give them all the resources they need to succeed in life. My oldest son had a full scholarship in bball and this was going to be his last year. He was majoring in Business. All of a sudden he decides he hates the school he hates Business he's tired of playing bball and he wants to drop out. He told me he has been playing sports all his life listening to coaches tell him what to do what he needs to do and now he wants to do something that is going to make him happy.

My husband and I were livid!!!!!!!! I didnt speak to him for 2 months. He wants to study music. We told him that you ned to look at something that you will be able to get a job. We told him to take out a student loan and get a job. He did find a full time job and he will start school in the Spring.

I never had that luxury and I would have loved to be able to get a full scholarship. Oh well.

You didn't speak to your son for 2 MONTHS because he decided to change his major? This may be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Saying you won't pay for it, I understand. I work in higher education and understand that it's expensive to go to school in the first place, much less change your major 3 years in. But you didn't speak to him because of that? That's not support at all. If a degree in music is what makes him happy, then good for him. At least he's getting a degree in it.

She didn't speak to him because the kid had everything handed to him on a silver platter and he left with ONE YEAR to go. Honestly, I get if you hate something, but just finish the degree and then go get another degree in music. At least with the business degree (which he would have gotten for FREE, with ZERO debt) he can support himself while he pursues music. I 100% agree with her for being upset with him.

He'll find a job. It just may not be the cushy business job his parents hoped for, but at least he'll be happy.

They may not always do what you want them to do but as long as he is happy. And that is what I have come to realize.
  • jinxikat72
    jinxikat72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't move out until I got married when I was 24. Then - well I got divorced when I was 30-- I lived in my own apartment for a year but hit some hard times financially and crashed at my parents' place again for about 10 months. Then I moved back out and lived with the awesome guy who eventually became my current awesome husband. :) I never felt guilty or anything living with them until I was 24 - I was going to school, had a job, had my own car and contributed to the household. The 10 months I was there after my divorce was a different story because my life was such a mess. I had to borrow money from them to pay bills and stuff until I got back on my feet. But thank goodness they were there for me!
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I moved out last year when I was 22 I bought a house with my boyfriend. My tip is whilst you are still living at home start a glory box and buy all the little bits and pieces like towels and bed sheets kitchen utensils, plates and etc. It makes it better when you move out so you don't have a heap to buy at once, and don't knock second hand! Almost every furniture item in my house is second hand. If your handy with a sander and paint you could do a lot with them.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    18 but returned for another 2 years :-)
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was 17 years old when I graduated high school and I moved out. It was the policy in my home. Fortunately, I was a good student and was able to go to school and find consistant work until I graduated.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    right after 16. Was emmancipated. Moved back in shortly after when all my so-called friends didn't pay anything in rent.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I got pregnant and got in a fight with my mom because of it and moved out .( She wanted to force me to give the baby up)

Had two jobs for a couple of years got married and divorced and then got my GED and then went to nursing school for my LPN license.

I didn't know what the hell I was doing all I did was work to pay child care and the bills - we were broke all the time. I mean really broke.

Amy
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 14 to my parents winter cabin.

I was young but I was fine with it, it was so I could concentrate more on my sport as the club was 5 minutes away and a new school 30 minutes away by school bus.

I loved it because there were whole bunch of us kids in the same situation, about 15. Some parents lived in town so they still had an eye on the group.

It was easy because my parents paid all the bills, came on weekends and brought food every weekend plus I was given an allowance.

Only thing that was a bummer was that I could not drive until 16 so 2 years were spent on a bus and biking lots.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    When I was 16, I moved in with my grandparents. I've lived on my own/with roommates/with my boyfriend/husband since 18
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was 19, just got married when I moved out. I felt like I had lots of freedom but I really missed my parents cooking. I missed my brother the most, but the whole process of moving to me was pretty easy.
  • lizbeths88
    Options
    At 19 with my BF it was expensive though, moved back with my parents after I got into nursing school. I have 6 months left I plan to leave as soon as I get my license. My moms cooking Is the reason Im on here :) Get some roomates if you can afford it why not
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    At 19 with my BF it was expensive though, moved back with my parents after I got into nursing school. I have 6 months left I plan to leave as soon as I get my license. My moms cooking Is the reason Im on here :) Get some roomates if you can afford it why not
    Cus I'm on a two year lease lol c:
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So when did you first move out?
    What were your feelings regarding it? Freedom? Guilt?
    If you could go back and tell yourself something upon first moving out, what would it be? Tips and tricks for example.
    Was it easy? Was it hard?
    What do you think of the culture around 'leaving the nest' vs 'communal living' (IE some families traditionally living together for generations) Is this a largely western phenomenon?
    Etcetc.

18 years old.
    FREEDOM! Was sick of being constantly told while I was under my parent's roof I would live by their rules.
    It was fairly easy, I had a job and had moved into a 6 bedroom place with 5 random people I met in a bar a fortnight before. It was the usual disgusting studenty type flat share situation with all the stupid situations of people in their teens/20s living out of home for the first time (all night partying on wednesdays, why not? Sick of all the dishes being dirty - lets hide them! etc).

I would suggest DON'T SCREW THE CREW but I did and 10 years, two countries and about 8 flats later, I ended up marrying the guy. :D I told my younger sister about 4 years later to stay at home as long as possible while she was studying because it was the best she'd have it (free food, clean house and laundry!).

Main tip would be draw up a budget and stick to it.

Communal living - I can see there are pros & cons, especially when it comes to caring for the very young or the elderly. But for my family it would need to be a pretty big place. Two dwellings on the same street would work better.
  • lacostello
    lacostello Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At 24 when I brought my first house, and when I got the keys I was so upset I thought want have I done and didn't move into it for 3 months it is a lovely house just missed home. Thinking back, it didn't dawn on me that my mum would be upset as I was her last child to leave the nest, I was very lucky I have always been able to work and save my money and my parents didn't charge me rent so I had a good start in life.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    21yo I moved out. I had my 3yo son & that was when I met hubby. Married him a month after meeting him, moved into the same house as him about 10 years later. We lived apart till then cause it was just easier with him looking after his mother & my son with his problems.

17 years later & all is good :)
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was 17 when I moved, out. I couldn't afford to go to school and work, so I had to drop out and get a GED. It was really hard. If you can stay at home do it, definitely save up before you move out! It hasn't gotten any easier even after I had gotten married, do I love doing whatever I want whenever I want? Yes, and that's the only reason why I have stuck with it, I'm 22 now, almost 23, but I'm telling you if you have the option to save up do it!!!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    If you could go back and tell yourself something upon first moving out, what would it be? Tips and tricks for example.
    What do you think of the culture around 'leaving the nest' vs 'communal living' (IE some families traditionally living together for generations) Is this a largely western phenomenon?
    Etcetc.

I moved out a few months after I turned 18. I got access to my money from a car accident that was in a trust and bought a house. It was in my hometown and I loved it. It was close to downtown, so it was a major party place. It gave me a great sense of freedom and I absolutely loved it. My dad and I rented it after I moved out when I was 20 and went to college, and then sold it (and thankfully broke even) when I moved in with my husband (boyfriend at the time) in Chicago. We're still renting while he's in the Navy, but we hope to settle down soon in the next few years.

I do think that the leaving the nest is a western (particularly American) thing because there's a lot more space vs people. In places where the market is much more competitive and there's more of a sense of community as necessity rather than option, it's easier to just have generations live together. Smarter too! I think that it is starting to change now. More and more families are living together. I think that it's a great way to live. But I also like my own space. I think there's a trade. My husband and I are loners who like our own space. But we're willing (and prefer) to have a smaller apartment instead of a big house. I think that if we wanted a bigger house we'd have to have a bunch of kids or some other couples to make it worth it to us.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Etcetc.

I moved out a few months after I turned 18. I got access to my money from a car accident that was in a trust and bought a house. It was in my hometown and I loved it. It was close to downtown, so it was a major party place. It gave me a great sense of freedom and I absolutely loved it. My dad and I rented it after I moved out when I was 20 and went to college, and then sold it (and thankfully broke even) when I moved in with my husband (boyfriend at the time) in Chicago. We're still renting while he's in the Navy, but we hope to settle down soon in the next few years.

I do think that the leaving the nest is a western (particularly American) thing because there's a lot more space vs people. In places where the market is much more competitive and there's more of a sense of community as necessity rather than option, it's easier to just have generations live together. Smarter too! I think that it is starting to change now. More and more families are living together. I think that it's a great way to live. But I also like my own space. I think there's a trade. My husband and I are loners who like our own space. But we're willing (and prefer) to have a smaller apartment instead of a big house. I think that if we wanted a bigger house we'd have to have a bunch of kids or some other couples to make it worth it to us.

lol. buying the latest issue of car and driver and a tub of ben and jerry's is not a necessity. its money that you will NEED later and won't have it then.