Ask me anything! [FROM FAT to FIT]

Options
Hey, I am new-ish to these forums but very experienced in weight loss after going through a "transformation" myself. I have noticed from just reading through hundreds of threads tonight the amount of information which people provide which is highly incorrect is quite worrying..

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be a know it all or act like I have an ego (i don't I love to help and I'm really easy to talk to), I'm still learning 'advanced' things. But I've transformed my life and coached several other people to transform their bodies. I just don't want people to waste their time.

If you have _any_ questions about fat loss, foods you can eat, weight lifting etc.. feel free to post here, and I will respond to EVERY single one of you when I have available time (most days!) or you can PM me privately if you'd rather.

You can find my transformation in the Success page on these forums. Titled "200 lbs --- 140 lbs"

ritch

Replies

• marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I am new to this site and learning a lot of things that I never heard of before. There are some threads with links posted at the top of this category, for example, that present a theory about metabolism and eating enough. For example, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing. I am just beginning to understand what they are saying and about to try this. So, do you, as an experienced fitness person, agree with this theory?

Thanks for being available for questions.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site and learning a lot of things that I never heard of before. There are some threads with links posted at the top of this category, for example, that present a theory about metabolism and eating enough. For example, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing. I am just beginning to understand what they are saying and about to try this. So, do you, as an experienced fitness person, agree with this theory?

Thanks for being available for questions.

There does become a point where you can eat too little and your metabolism suffers, but from studies lately it shows that people take this too far, as in.. they blame everything on metabolic damage/slowdown and when it does slow down its only by 5%. There is a useful video for you to watch, by a very credible source. The chances are for most of us, we do not have metabolic damage. But, that being said it CAN happen.

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk - definitely worth watching.

I also believe that a human should only be dieting on "severe" caloric restrictions for a short time. Hope this helps, if there is anything I missed, or you want to ask again, feel free.

Edit: Oh, and there is usually a fix for people who have stopped losing weight, it is called a diet break, more info here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I have a question - I am over 300 lbs, lost approximately 55 lbs since I started clean eating (lifestyle change for me not a diet).

I work out at the gym 3 to 5 days a week. So far I have only been doing cardio work outs - from March to June I was just swimming. Then three weeks ago I started walking on the treadmill.

Is the cardio enough or do I need to start doing some kind of weight lifting?

I've started doing resistance type exercises in the pool in addition to the other exercises I'm doing.

Should I be incorporating something else into my work out or be trying to build up to do something else?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I have a question - I am over 300 lbs, lost approximately 55 lbs since I started clean eating (lifestyle change for me not a diet).

I work out at the gym 3 to 5 days a week. So far I have only been doing cardio work outs - from March to June I was just swimming. Then three weeks ago I started walking on the treadmill.

Is the cardio enough or do I need to start doing some kind of weight lifting?

I've started doing resistance type exercises in the pool in addition to the other exercises I'm doing.

Should I be incorporating something else into my work out or be trying to build up to do something else?

Hello, MorningWhisper!

Firstly, congratulations on your achievement so far! If clean eating is your choice that is perfectly fine, while I may not agree with "clean" eating, I respect your choice and if it helps you get to your goal I certainly won't recommend stopping it, providing you sustain it and don't go on binges.

Cardio work outs are a lot less effective for changing body composition than weight training is. None of my clients, or myself have done cardio in a transformation. It is solely your choice to choose whether you do that or not. There is obviously many health benefits from it, but a fat loss view it isn't all that useful, but with you being at 300 lbs currently it is probably the smarter option to keep it, especially if you enjoy it!

Keep doing resistance exercises, I wouldn't suggest starting proper weight training yet if you don't feel like it, but at some point weight training will be EXTREMELY useful to you.

Fat loss is pretty much created entirely through a caloric deficit (eating less calories than you need to maintain your current weight) so whilst this is happeniing for you, I suggest planning the upcoming months.

Start reading about weightlifting. These websites will be useful to you...

www.rippedbody.jp - there is many training and nutritional options here, I learnt a lot from this website and you can benefit greatly from it. This isn't an advertisement btw, no money or sign-up fee's required, just a very, very useful website. There is specific sections for Training and Dieting. It also allows you to work out some PROPER caloric needs, if you look through the dieting section.

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask if you think of anything else or I missed something.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    What do you think about the 16/8 eating regimen, some refer to it as intermittent fasting = meaning you eat the entirety of your food in a 8 hr window and fast for the other 16 - leangains.com. I've been doing this for a while and have had good success, though just curious to see what you think about it.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Thank you, I will look at the website.
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    Thanks! I watched the video you suggested and read the article. Both are very helpful. I appreciate your time.
  • Ashley_John
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. I am trying to maintain my weight and am currently 110 lbs. and 5'3 and 21 years old. I exercise- aka cardio 5 days a week. If I was TOTALLY sedentary and did no cardio, how many calories would I need per day?
    Thanks
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    What do you think about the 16/8 eating regimen, some refer to it as intermittent fasting = meaning you eat the entirety of your food in a 8 hr window and fast for the other 16 - leangains.com. I've been doing this for a while and have had good success, though just curious to see what you think about it.

I follow Intermittent Fasting myself only differences is I do 18/6. Aside from health benefits that have been studied etc, I found it removed ALL my hunger issues, I didn't lose my appetite (don't confuse the two). I just never had that urge to eat for no reason anymore, so it was great.

I recently wrote an article about it actually, over on my Facebook page. If you are interested send me a private message and i'll forward it to you.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Thank you, I will look at the website.

No problem, anymore questions fire away!
    Thanks! I watched the video you suggested and read the article. Both are very helpful. I appreciate your time.

No problem, anymore questions fire away!
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article - wow, felt like those were my words, hahaha. I know exactly what you are talking about, I was doing the six meals a day and was constantly HUNGRY, now, I'm relaxed and doing my thing. I eat multiple meals in my eight hour window, though I don't exceed my recommend caloric intake. I've lost all of my weight since early April of this year. I've been on leangains for about half of this time - I've never felt better. I sleep better, don't feel bloated, more energetic and definitely noticing a huge difference in my overall look and feel.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Thanks for the article - wow, felt like those were my words, hahaha. I know exactly what you are talking about, I was doing the six meals a day and was constantly HUNGRY, now, I'm relaxed and doing my thing. I eat multiple meals in my eight hour window, though I don't exceed my recommend caloric intake. I've lost all of my weight since early April of this year. I've been on leangains for about half of this time - I've never felt better. I sleep better, don't feel bloated, more energetic and definitely noticing a huge difference in my overall look and feel.

Awesome! Congratulations on your weight loss - feels great doesn't it! :) I'm glad we experienced a lot of the same feelings during IF - it really cements its place in the "fitness industry" because of things like this. A lot of people doubt its validity.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Had tonnes of questions through private message.. lol.

I'll be going to bed now, if there are anymore questions here or via PM i WILL respond when I wake up,, no gym tomorrow so I'll be free the entire day! 6 am here now.. Night! x
  • jessiefreedman
    jessiefreedman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey ritchiebulk

I'm not overweight or anything, and I exercise 6days a week cardio 40min a day and weight training.
    However I would like to have a fitness model body and does that mean I cannot cheat at all? If its all calories in calories out I cannot get rid of that little bit of fat on my stomach to see a six pack and a little under my bum.

Must I lift heavy? Eat even less than 1200 cal?
    Female
    5'1
    50kg/110lbs

I eat pretty well 5 small meals a day protein,veg,carbs all complex carbs

To get rid of the last bit no carbs necessary?

Thanks a lot
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Hey ritchiebulk

I'm not overweight or anything, and I exercise 6days a week cardio 40min a day and weight training.
    However I would like to have a fitness model body and does that mean I cannot cheat at all? If its all calories in calories out I cannot get rid of that little bit of fat on my stomach to see a six pack and a little under my bum.

Must I lift heavy? Eat even less than 1200 cal?
    Female
    5'1
    50kg/110lbs

I eat pretty well 5 small meals a day protein,veg,carbs all complex carbs

To get rid of the last bit no carbs necessary?

Thanks a lot

Hey, Jessie. Sorry for the slow response, was sleeping!

First, cardio is not needed for weight loss at all, all cardio does is create a larger deficit. I have never stepped foot on a treadmill or done any cardiovascular activity. Obviously cardio is good for health reasons, but not great for fat loss.

Carbohydrates are not a magical thing, they don't make you fat etc. You can eat them. The one thing you need to do is ensure you get the MINIMUM requirements of protein and fat..

0.82g of protein per bodyweight (lbs)
    0.4g of fat per bodyweight (lbs)

rest can go into protein, carbs or fats.

Lifting heavy is the best way to improve body compositiion and keep hold of what muscle you have whilst cutting fat.

Maybe you would have to dip lower than 1200, for a few weeks, but not too long, perhaps you should try a proper calculator to work out your TDEE etc..

Try this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (leave it on the MIFFLIN Formula & make sure as you go down you have the minimums i wrote above set OR leave them on 1g / .45g, your choice).

Meal frequency does NOT matter. You don't have to eat 5 meals a day, and the foods you consume do not matter. Hitting your targets does. You can achieve a six pack eating McDonalds if you could fit it into your requirements. Your body knows no better whether its 20g of carbs from a mcdonalds bun, or 20g of carbs from brown rice.

Hope this helps. If you want to ask anything else, feel free - and if anyone else has questions shoot away!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bumping....and trying to come up with a good question.

Thanks for the time.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Bumping....and trying to come up with a good question.

Thanks for the time.

No problem :)
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    bump
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ritchiedrama