Keto diet, perform less

Options
I am on a keto diet for about 4 weeks now and I have noticed I can't perform less then like I used to. When I go for a walk in the hills for example, I notice my legs feel heavy and naggy quite rapidly. Does anyone recognize this and does anyone know what to do about it? This is my food intake:

1586 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
40 g Carbohydrates (10%)
90 g Protein (23%)
118 g Fat (67%)

Thanks in advance!

Mina.

Replies

• Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump.... I am interested in hearing what others have to say.. I have been trying to transition to a Primal diet but have not had carbs lower than 60-80 grams yet. So far I have not seen any difference in stamina during workouts...
  • Mytheral
    Options
    Sounds like the Atkins Flu.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    As far as I know keto flu seems to last for about a week, maybe a bit more. I should be past that by now. I was misserable in the first 2 weeks indeed. That is better now, it's just the legs wont cooperate like they used to.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Ketosis has no fat loss advantages to a normal caloric deficit.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need more carbs. There are a lot of options for eating a lower carb diet that are more than 40 grams of carbs a day, and less than the very large amount that MFP allots for you. I felt tired on less than 100 grams a day. I'm doing pretty well on 100-150 grams a day. I'm not on a keto diet, just trying to fuel my workouts while taking care of my family risk for diabetes.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

I have tried a lot of diets, also normal Paleo but this seems to be the only diet which works for me.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Maybe you need more carbs. There are a lot of options for eating a lower carb diet that are more than 40 grams of carbs a day, and less than the very large amount that MFP allots for you. I felt tired on less than 100 grams a day. I'm doing pretty well on 100-150 grams a day. I'm not on a keto diet, just trying to fuel my workouts while taking care of my family risk for diabetes.

Hmz yeah maybe I should try to increase my carb intake a bit more. I notice most of the days I am below that 10 % even.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I have tried a lot of diets, also normal Paleo but this seems to be the only diet which works for me.

Yes, because you are cutting out an entire food group, in turn lowering your calories.

If you are tracking calories accurately, you do not need to remove carbohydrates from your diet.

It is the same as a vegetarian losing weight because they don't eat meat, so in turn the consume less calories..
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

It's possible your carbohydrates are still too high. I'm comfortable in ketosis up to around 40g, but it would bump other people out relatively quickly. Low carb combined with not being in ketosis can make you feel lethargic, which is what you're risking at 10% carb intake (this is presumably net carbs?).

The other thing, it takes awhile between getting into ketosis and becoming fat adapted -- i.e., your body optimally burning fat. I had the keto flu for a week or so, then felt kinda "bleh" until the end of the first month.

My general macros work out to around 70/25/5 most days, fat/protein/carb. If anything changes, it ends up being more fat at the expense of the other two.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    If you are tracking calories accurately, you do not need to remove carbohydrates from your diet.

I know it probably feels like it, but I'm not trying to pick at you at all. I do take issue with this, as general advice though. If she has health concerns other than losing weight, the carb restriction might be in direct relation to those concerns.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I know it probably feels like it, but I'm not trying to pick at you at all. I do take issue with this, as general advice though. If she has health concerns other than losing weight, the carb restriction might be in direct relation to those concerns.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

Protein makes you full faster than carbohydrates, which is why people can go through a whole large bag of chips and still feel hungry but they're not going to eat the same weight of steak and want to eat more. I've also noticed that the weight flies off faster in the first week or so, making it beneficial for anybody that's cutting weight for a competition. It's also very beneficial to diabetics. Everything else is up in the air.

I've personally stopped trying to maintain a sustained keto diet, because of the OP's reason. But I have heard from many keto lovers that if you plow through the feeling of keto sickness, it goes away after a while.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

It's possible your carbohydrates are still too high. I'm comfortable in ketosis up to around 40g, but it would bump other people out relatively quickly. Low carb combined with not being in ketosis can make you feel lethargic, which is what you're risking at 10% carb intake (this is presumably net carbs?).

The other thing, it takes awhile between getting into ketosis and becoming fat adapted -- i.e., your body optimally burning fat. I had the keto flu for a week or so, then felt kinda "bleh" until the end of the first month.

My general macros work out to around 70/25/5 most days, fat/protein/carb. If anything changes, it ends up being more fat at the expense of the other two.

I will give it a try upcoming week, thanks! I must say I still feel it's very hard to fill in the menu with exactly those numbers.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    You can spur ketosis in shorter spans while still eating a safer amount of carbs every day (100g or so)... you would have a lot more energy that way. see: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/02/ketogenic-diets-i-ways-to-make-a-diet-ketogenic/
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html

It is just what you want to believe I suppose. There are also numerous posts saying it is a good thing to do, contradicting the bad messages. Everyone for him/herself and what works best for them.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, i bumped my carbs up to 100g a day max and I feel better. I was at 30g a day, and couldn't make it through my hikes. Just try it, I read that 150g-200g of carbs is maintenance and anything under 100g is fat loss (don't ask for scientific proof all you haters, I'm not taking the time to find the article, just throwing it out there and telling OP what I go by). I do up my carb count when I have PMS though, I'm already dragging my butt, I don't need super low carbs to fuel the flames. Good Luck!

* I also upped my cardio, although I still lift heavy, I increased my cardio quite a bit to combat the belly fat and raging hormones (pre-menopause).
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do carb refeeds, irregularly. For a week or two I keep primal keto (not for weight loss, but to increase performance, my body works way more efficiently using ketones as a fuel) - 5% carbs (usually it's less than 15g), 35% protein, rest is fat. Then one day I keep fat to minimum, protein still at 35% and just pig on carbs. Try cycling and see how you feel. If you don't see any improvement, maybe keto isn't the best way for you, some people just don't handle keto and exercising too well.
  • TomDonis
    TomDonis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've lost 34.5kg (76lbs) being on a low carb diet (over 37 weeks). And yes, a big part of that is because my calories have also been low. Up until the last week or so I kept my carbs between 15-30 grams a day and had heaps of energy, I work retail, on my feet and lifting stuff for 60 hours a week, exercise 2 hours a day usually, plus I only sleep about 4-4.5 hours a night. Every one is different, it's all about finding your own sweet spot. I've found what works for me, hopefully you can find what works for you too.

But overall it's all about eat less, move more. Calories in < Calories out
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Protein makes you full faster than carbohydrates, which is why people can go through a whole large bag of chips and still feel hungry but they're not going to eat the same weight of steak and want to eat more. I've also noticed that the weight flies off faster in the first week or so, making it beneficial for anybody that's cutting weight for a competition. It's also very beneficial to diabetics. Everything else is up in the air.

I've personally stopped trying to maintain a sustained keto diet, because of the OP's reason. But I have heard from many keto lovers that if you plow through the feeling of keto sickness, it goes away after a while.

Feeling full has nothing to do with what I have said, though. If you are in a proper caloric deficit, ketosis holds no advantages, and at first, as we all know, weight drastically drops due to water being flushed out your system. Weight loss does not mean fat loss.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Perhaps I was unclear. If she's diabetic, low carb diets have very distinct benefits over non carb restricted diets. I am speaking of factors unrelated to fat loss.