How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds or more?

Options

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    about 40 days when I first started, but it all depends on how much you have to lose to begin with. Mine was mostly just because I completely changed from eating fast food and sausage egg and cheese bagels everyday to eating healthy foods and walking daily
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I lost weight rather quickly when I first started out seriously using MFP in May of 2012. From a year ago yesterday to today, I have lost 29lbs, but I stalled out in the winter/spring of this year with my loss and regained about 7 to 9lbs depending on the day. You should expect that it might slow down as you lose more weight. Keep at it, adjust your calories needed as you lose, and it WILL come off. Best of luck to you!!
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am just about to hit a healthy BMI (3lbs to go) and I've lost 40lbs to get here. It has taken me a year to do this although I had about a 4 month period, in the middle, of maintenance due to a car accident and subsequent injury/recovery etc..... so 8 months of actual calorie deficit.

If you have 30lbs to lose then I wouldn't target any higher than 1lb per week and it will likely slow as you get into single figures.

I'm nearly at that healthy BMI but still looking to reduce BF and it is really slowing down, 1/2lb week now is good.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have 35 pounds to loose before November 1st 2013,

I have started doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, i did it this morning and i will do it again tonite. If i eat right and do the exercise twice a day would i be able to loose 35 pounds, please motivate.

You've set yourself a very difficult goal of about 2.5 pounds per week. You need to make a choice between rapid and likely temporary weight loss or healthy and sustainable.

Healthy and sustainable wins my vote every time. Take a look at this thread for more info on how to do it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map+short
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Other people's successes can be very motivating but keep in mind that the amount of time it will take YOU will depend on how far you have to go and what you are doing to get there.

Someone with over 100 pounds to lose will likely lose 30 pounds faster than someone who only has 30 pounds to lose. Someone weighing and logging consistently and eating at the right caloric level will make better progress than someone "winging it". Someone doing resistance training may progress differently than someone doing cardio.

In other words, comparing your progress to everyone else' will only cause you heartache and confusion. Focus and fine tune your own program and compare yourself to what you used to be.

Another tip: The scale is not your friend. Get a tape measure, a camera, and pay attention to how your clothing fits. Sometimes the scale may not budge but your body may look and feel different.

Best of luck to you on reaching your goals.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have lost my weight since April 10th. I have changed my life dramatically. I used to drink diet soda like it was going out of style, always ate pretty bad. Now, no more soda,gave up sugar for the most part, eat healthy and work with a wellness coach(best thing I have ever done) Please friend me if you would like, I am here everyday now. I learn so much from other people. I am here to help!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    it took me about 3 months to lose 30 pounds... it was melting off at first, but then it slowed, just a bit...
  • ampongdk
    Options
    Oh no please advise.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've been on 115 days ( or so) and am just on the cuspid of being at a 30 pound loss. I'm soooo close! So that's what, 16 and a half weeks? My goals are set to lose a pound a week. :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have 35 pounds to loose before November 1st 2013,

I have started doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, i did it this morning and i will do it again tonite. If i eat right and do the exercise twice a day would i be able to loose 35 pounds, please motivate.

You've set yourself a very difficult goal of about 2.5 pounds per week. You need to make a choice between rapid and likely temporary weight loss or healthy and sustainable.

Healthy and sustainable wins my vote every time. Take a look at this thread for more info on how to do it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map+short

Great reference here ampongdk :)
  • ncory79
    ncory79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started my program on the 18th of July. I am doing the 30-day shred in the evening or running 3-5 miles depending on the day, walking for 30 minutes (briskly) during the day at work, doing 10 minutes of stairs (jogging up and down) at work, and eating with a strict deficit of 200 cal/day. I am hoping for a 1lb/week weight loss and doing this I figure can lose 30 lb by February. If I lose 1.5lb/week I can have 30 lb gone by December, and if I managed to do 2lb/week (which is pretty difficulty for someone like me who is small to begin with, short and with only 30lb to lose to get to the low end of the healthy weight BMI), I could be done by October 31. I am not holding my breath or anything, but I have done the math :)

Do not set yourself up for failure though, set a reasonable goal and be pleased if you surpass it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I lost 35-40ish Lbs in about 7 months or so. It came off faster early on and pretty slowly at the end. I'm at maintenance now just focusing on my nutrition and getting my fitness on.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on June 3 and have lost whatever my ticker says, 22 I think... I have quite a bit to lose though.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Between end last November and beginning July this year - it's stalled a bit though just now.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It took me about six months to lose thirty pounds, if I remember correctly. That was with eating within calories, but still eating fast food/drinking soda, and working out every day.
  • hendelk
    hendelk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just hit the 30lb mark today. Started February 27th so about 5 months.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine says 30, with another 20 something to go. I have been here since I was cleared after my son was born last year. It's taken me over a year to lose that. I am still fighting the last 20 something pounds.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Took me 3 months. But, I was very heavy to start with, and the weight fell of quickly. Since I've lost 54 lbs now, it's slowed down some. So depending on where your starting point was, it could be a lot slower than it was for me.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Started in March 2012. I was down 32 pounds by June 2012. I am 5'3". Mid 30s and at my heaviest was at 186lb.
  • Sgrid36
    Sgrid36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started my journey, this time, on 3/28/13 at 221lb. and I'm now 180 lb.(and hovering). I lost 38 pounds a year earlier, and due to bad eating and a horrible work schedule I gained it all back plus 3 pounds. I exercise at least 5 times a week, using Precor elliptical or AMT machines and circuit weight training. I have averaged 1.975 lbs. loss per week. I have stalled many times, along the way. It always seems to be right at those 10 lb. markers. I added a Power Pump class, about 5 weeks ago. I have noticed that my slow down, has partly been me. I got have gotten a little careless with my calories towards the end of the day. I am hungry about every 2 hours now, since I turned on my metabolism. I try to stay at the 1200 calorie mark, but when I hit long plateau's I watched closely, and realized I was missing 200 calories here and there. I am definitely more "fit". My arms have never looked better. This tool is awesome, just stick with it. And add activity. I didn't really believe in the calorie counters on the exercise equipment, at first, but I sure do now. I generally burn 1000 calories or more per day from exercise. If I stay honest with food and do the "exercise" work. It comes off.