Anyone else exercise like crazy but still can't lose weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ShadowChaser16
    Options
    I was the same way, working out almost everyday and taking in a net of 1200 calories. Lost some weight at first then didn't lose any for 2 months (!!!). Don't tell me it's muscle gain because I have a scale that tells me body % and the muscle percentage didn't go up significantly at any point.

Then I just stopped working out and started eating more (1700 calories) and am losing weight consistently and faster than I was while eating less and moving more (which they say is the best diet). That may work for some people but it didn't work for me.

I think working out and eating so little causes your body too much stress so it just holds onto fat. Your body has a primitive mindset, it doesn't know "cardio" it knows running from giant sabertooth tigers and struggling to survive, which is what it thinks you're doing when you eat 1200 cals and do an hour of cardio everyday.

I'd ditch the works outs for now, and eat more.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    your not exercising long enough.... make your workouts 30-45mins long and you will start to see results, also what do you have you calories set at?

5 miles at 10 mph = 50 minutes.

What am I missing here?

5 miles at 10 mph would take 30 minutes

Cause she said she runs 5 miles at ten minutes a mile. Not 10mph.

Thought I'd edit for additional helpful information ;)

I would say eat more. It worked for me. I hit a plateau a while back, realized MFP was set to losing 2lbs a week and I changed it to 1lb a week loss, and the weight start coming off again. I was eating at 1350~ and moved up to 1570~.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Only through page 1, but in for more of the female equivalent of broscience.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    just wondering if your weight came off quicky for a short time then did it seem your body became stuck? It happened to me. 231lbs down to 216 lbs I was fine but, was stuck on 216 for a couple of weeks....a 3 day rest, a supplement from GNC, and a different routine changed that and started losing again. got down to 198, relapsed for a few months to 205 (currently) and jumping back on the health wagon. anywho...just curious about if your body seems stuck.
  • Kristonya
    Options
    Perhaps you are not eating enough.. your body needs fuel and if you are burning all those calories and not eating enough the body will try to hold onto fluids and such.. maybe change things up too.. I hear that your body can get used to burning calories if you do the same workout all the time.. I think I read that on an article from jillian.. wish I had a link .. but anyhow.. I feel your pain and I just increased my calories per a trainers advice and started interval training in shorter segments to keep my blood sugar levels under better control throughout the day.. New studies suggest doing 10 minute workouts three times a day is better for fat burn and control of blood pressure and sugars... once again wish I had a link.. I need to start keeping these articles I read. ;)
    Either way.. good luck! :smile:
  • cecilesutton
    Options
    You're not working out hard or long enough. I work out and hour a day, 6-7 days a week and bust *kitten*. You shouldn't look as pretty when you're done as when you stated. If I don't look like I've gotten out of the shower when I'm done I didn't work hard enough. I've lost 55 pounds pretty easily.

Kick up you workouts and you'll see results.

Ma'am, this post is ridiculous. Working out that hard and that often is not going to help her. Your body needs to rest and if she was working out like this, she would absolutely have to eat more carbs anyway.
  • matt_h76
    Options
    your not exercising long enough.... make your workouts 30-45mins long and you will start to see results, also what do you have you calories set at?

5 miles at 10 mph = 50 minutes.

To cover 5 miles travelling at 10mph would take 30 mins ;)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    To cover 5 miles travelling at 10mph would take 30 mins ;)

Oh man! Sure did get told. Heheh. Good thing I have gadgets. I need a 10MPH is not a 10 minute mile spanking. ;)
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    Thanks Vienna for replying. I am beginning to think that I am not eating enough, also. I will try that website. Thanks :)
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling I'm not eating enough. I'm doing a program called LiveFit and I'm on the second phase. This phase has me working out 6 days a week. 2 leg days and the other four work different muscles (back, shoulder etc). On those days it tells me to do 30 minutes of medium intensity cardio. I've been doing this program for 6 weeks and I've gained weight. It's so discouraging and I know I eat healthy with low sugar, fruits and veggies, protein from chicken and steak and fish..etc etc. And Nothing! I do count my calories and I am almost always under 1300 but I don't know how to up the intake. Egg whites and turkey sausage/bacon or plain oatmeal in the morning is very low in calories and the same goes for salads and chicken and veggies so where do I up my calories?? Any help I can get would be great!
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Eat more!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I work out for 15 minutes in the morning before work; 10 mins cardio and 5 minutes of crunches, pushups and leg lifts. After work, I run 5 miles at 10 minutes per mile. I cook all of my meals at home and eat a high protein and low carb/no sugar diet, and find that I only lose about 0.15 lbs per week. I am insulin resistant and have had my genome sequenced, and have 3 different variations of genes that promote obesity, which also is in my family.

It is SO frustrating to be working so hard and getting such slow results! Is anyone else in this situation?

196lbs in 2010
    8193374926_e25182cc2b_q.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

195lbs in 2012
    8211731868_5394684d1d_q.jpg
    IMG00856-20121123-0837 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

195lbs in 2013
    8695410127_8244cbbe09_q.jpg
    photo grid by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I haven't lost the weight, but my body has changed. The first picture I am wearing a 16/18. The last picture I am wearing a 10/12. I have also gone from a 42DD to a 38C

I do 60-90 minutes of cardio 3x a week, and 60 minutes of strength 2x a week.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    She deactivated her account..... hmmm