Ask me anything! [FROM FAT to FIT]

Options

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in the intermittent fasting topic as well. I attempted a 2x /wk 24hr fast and gave it up after about 3 wks w/out seeing any results. That was when I was only about 10lbs from goal, but have since put 15lbs back on : ((( Can you explain the 18/6 theory?

Sure. I certainly don't recommend the 2x a week 24 hour fast. Whilst I have extended some of my "fasts" to 36 hours, it really isn't something you have to do, and 18/6 is very very very sustainable.

I will private message you the text from my article I wrote.

ritch
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My question is: How do you get a good work out with a re-torn meniscus (left knee), just fell and damaged my right knee (can't go to the doctor no money, no insurance) a bad back (not sure what is wrong) with muscle spams that sent me to the ER twice, and my right ankle that I had a 3 degree sprang yrs ago that gives me problems like swelling and pain.

I had been swimming (not sure what I am doing but moving) but had to stop due to the fall I took. Any advise for now and later on would be great!!

Thank you,
    Melissa

That's a tough one. I am not fully qualified enough to comment on these things as obviously I am not a doctor, but there are way to strengthen muscles and stuff. I have a back problem too and I found the more stretching and things I did the better it got.

Swimming is obviously the best choice as it takes all weight off your body but you can't do that now.. I guess just walking slowly? Fat loss can be achieved without exercise, it's just things like weight training changes your body composition.

Maybe you could do some light weight training? Obviously not on the parts of your body that hurt, but something is better than nothing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

ritch

Thanks Ritch! I will continue to swim and I will try to get in some short walks.

One more question: I recently changed my calories from 1990 (recommended) to 1566. I thought it might aid in weight loss without exercise. What would you recommend? I'm 5'4" CW 301 GW 130-ish Age 46

Thanks again.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    My question is: How do you get a good work out with a re-torn meniscus (left knee), just fell and damaged my right knee (can't go to the doctor no money, no insurance) a bad back (not sure what is wrong) with muscle spams that sent me to the ER twice, and my right ankle that I had a 3 degree sprang yrs ago that gives me problems like swelling and pain.

I had been swimming (not sure what I am doing but moving) but had to stop due to the fall I took. Any advise for now and later on would be great!!

Thank you,
    Melissa

That's a tough one. I am not fully qualified enough to comment on these things as obviously I am not a doctor, but there are way to strengthen muscles and stuff. I have a back problem too and I found the more stretching and things I did the better it got.

Swimming is obviously the best choice as it takes all weight off your body but you can't do that now.. I guess just walking slowly? Fat loss can be achieved without exercise, it's just things like weight training changes your body composition.

Maybe you could do some light weight training? Obviously not on the parts of your body that hurt, but something is better than nothing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

ritch

Thanks Ritch! I will continue to swim and I will try to get in some short walks.

One more question: I recently changed my calories from 1990 (recommended) to 1566. I thought it might aid in weight loss without exercise. I'm 5'4" CW 301 GW 130-ish Age 46

Thanks again.

You should always be aiming to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week at maximum. Slow and steady wins the race, that's all I can comment on calories, you have a better idea of tracking your weight loss than I do, obviously. Don't worry if the scale stalls, only change something if it stalls for longer than 3-4 weeks.

If you think of anything else I'm happy to help!

ritch
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ritch :happy:
  • FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Totally enjoying this thread!
  • jessiefreedman
    jessiefreedman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey ritchiebulk

I'm not overweight or anything, and I exercise 6days a week cardio 40min a day and weight training.
    However I would like to have a fitness model body and does that mean I cannot cheat at all? If its all calories in calories out I cannot get rid of that little bit of fat on my stomach to see a six pack and a little under my bum.

Must I lift heavy? Eat even less than 1200 cal?
    Female
    5'1
    50kg/110lbs

I eat pretty well 5 small meals a day protein,veg,carbs all complex carbs

To get rid of the last bit no carbs necessary?

Thanks a lot

Hey, Jessie. Sorry for the slow response, was sleeping!

First, cardio is not needed for weight loss at all, all cardio does is create a larger deficit. I have never stepped foot on a treadmill or done any cardiovascular activity. Obviously cardio is good for health reasons, but not great for fat loss.

Carbohydrates are not a magical thing, they don't make you fat etc. You can eat them. The one thing you need to do is ensure you get the MINIMUM requirements of protein and fat..

0.82g of protein per bodyweight (lbs)
    0.4g of fat per bodyweight (lbs)

rest can go into protein, carbs or fats.

Lifting heavy is the best way to improve body compositiion and keep hold of what muscle you have whilst cutting fat.

Maybe you would have to dip lower than 1200, for a few weeks, but not too long, perhaps you should try a proper calculator to work out your TDEE etc..

Try this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (leave it on the MIFFLIN Formula & make sure as you go down you have the minimums i wrote above set OR leave them on 1g / .45g, your choice).

Meal frequency does NOT matter. You don't have to eat 5 meals a day, and the foods you consume do not matter. Hitting your targets does. You can achieve a six pack eating McDonalds if you could fit it into your requirements. Your body knows no better whether its 20g of carbs from a mcdonalds bun, or 20g of carbs from brown rice.

Hope this helps. If you want to ask anything else, feel free - and if anyone else has questions shoot away!

Hi it's me again

Thank you for the reply, just another thing, if I do not do cardio how do I create a large enough deficit? Because I am always hungry and battle eating 1200 a day where I feel starved already?

I just feel cardio is my way to eat a little more sometimes? Is this incorrect? I have tried just weight training with a personal trainer and I just felt bigger and not lean at all? However combining the two I see a bigger diff in my body.

Must I just cut cardio a little more and bump up weight training? My tdee was 1755 and I only net 1200 or don't even eat some exercise cal back? I knw this is all confusing, I confuse myself at times I just really appreciate input as I am willing to try new things.

Thanks again
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Hey ritchiebulk

I'm not overweight or anything, and I exercise 6days a week cardio 40min a day and weight training.
    However I would like to have a fitness model body and does that mean I cannot cheat at all? If its all calories in calories out I cannot get rid of that little bit of fat on my stomach to see a six pack and a little under my bum.

Female
    5'1
    50kg/110lbs

Thanks a lot

First, cardio is not needed for weight loss at all, all cardio does is create a larger deficit. I have never stepped foot on a treadmill or done any cardiovascular activity. Obviously cardio is good for health reasons, but not great for fat loss.

Carbohydrates are not a magical thing, they don't make you fat etc. You can eat them. The one thing you need to do is ensure you get the MINIMUM requirements of protein and fat..

Lifting heavy is the best way to improve body compositiion and keep hold of what muscle you have whilst cutting fat.

Maybe you would have to dip lower than 1200, for a few weeks, but not too long, perhaps you should try a proper calculator to work out your TDEE etc..

Try this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (leave it on the MIFFLIN Formula & make sure as you go down you have the minimums i wrote above set OR leave them on 1g / .45g, your choice).

Meal frequency does NOT matter. You don't have to eat 5 meals a day, and the foods you consume do not matter. Hitting your targets does. You can achieve a six pack eating McDonalds if you could fit it into your requirements. Your body knows no better whether its 20g of carbs from a mcdonalds bun, or 20g of carbs from brown rice.

Hope this helps. If you want to ask anything else, feel free - and if anyone else has questions shoot away!

Hi it's me again

Thank you for the reply, just another thing, if I do not do cardio how do I create a large enough deficit? Because I am always hungry and battle eating 1200 a day where I feel starved already?

I just feel cardio is my way to eat a little more sometimes? Is this incorrect? I have tried just weight training with a personal trainer and I just felt bigger and not lean at all? However combining the two I see a bigger diff in my body.

Must I just cut cardio a little more and bump up weight training? My tdee was 1755 and I only net 1200 or don't even eat some exercise cal back? I knw this is all confusing, I confuse myself at times I just really appreciate input as I am willing to try new things.

Thanks again

Have you tried re-calculating your macros and calories with the link I gave you yet? Exercise burns very little calories, and even when machines tell you a certain number it does not mean its right. Strength Training + the correct intake of food is what will change everything for you. If you want to do cardio because you enjoy it for health reasons, feel free. if your TDEE is 1755 minus 15%, track for a few weeks see what happens, but make sure you re-calc macros with the link I provided if you didn't already.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi Richiebulk,
    I love Diet Coke but I'm cutting back and drinking more water as much as I can.
    There's no cals in Diet Coke so what's so bad about it...
    Thanks in advance...x
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Hi Richiebulk,
    I love Diet Coke but I'm cutting back and drinking more water as much as I can.
    There's no cals in Diet Coke so what's so bad about it...
    Thanks in advance...x

Hi, Olive32214.

Nothing is wrong with diet coke, but continue to drink water as often as possible anyway.

You can drink any zero/very low calorie soda you want, it will not effect weight loss, but as I said, keep up the water consumption.

ritch
  • LillyWillow
    Options
    Hi, I have two questions for you. I weigh 327 and for exercise I go for walks 3 times a week and do crossfit (modified by a trainer) 3 times a week. MFP doesn't count strength training for calories burned, so I write my crossfit as circuit training. Is this cheating on my exercise diary? Every time I do crossfit I am working so hard, sweating horribly and sometimes crying (in a good way, lol), so it feels like an extreme work out to me. Also, I was wondering if you eat back your exercise calories. My calories are already set so high because of my weight that I usually don't eat back my workout calories, but sometimes I do. What is your opinion? Thanks!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Hi, I have two questions for you. I weigh 327 and for exercise I go for walks 3 times a week and do crossfit (modified by a trainer) 3 times a week. MFP doesn't count strength training for calories burned, so I write my crossfit as circuit training. Is this cheating on my exercise diary? Every time I do crossfit I am working so hard, sweating horribly and sometimes crying (in a good way, lol), so it feels like an extreme work out to me. Also, I was wondering if you eat back your exercise calories. My calories are already set so high because of my weight that I usually don't eat back my workout calories, but sometimes I do. What is your opinion? Thanks!

I for myself, or my clients never eat back exercise calories. There is no accurate way of telling how many calories exercise burns, but what I do know is, exercise burns a lot less calories than people think.

ritch
  • jessiefreedman
    jessiefreedman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey ritchiebulk

Female
    5'1
    50kg/110lbs

Thanks a lot

Hi it's me again

Thanks again

Have you tried re-calculating your macros and calories with the link I gave you yet? Exercise burns very little calories, and even when machines tell you a certain number it does not mean its right. Strength Training + the correct intake of food is what will change everything for you. If you want to do cardio because you enjoy it for health reasons, feel free. if your TDEE is 1755 minus 15%, track for a few weeks see what happens, but make sure you re-calc macros with the link I provided if you didn't already.

Thanks lets give it a go
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ritchiebulk,

Thanks for being here as a support for us and answering our questions honestly.
    I have a question. I've lost a substantial amount of weight. For the first while of my journey, I wasn't exercising at all and managed to lose weight. As time progressed, I began to exercise 4 times a week. I do cardio for an hour each time, mixed with some strength training, and I've lost consistently. If I cut back on my cardio now, is it going to hinder me losing weight because my body is so used to it?

Thank you!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My Diary is open is there anyway you can run through a few days and tell me your thoughts. I just did my TDEE and BMR and found out I'm WAY low on protein and a little high on carbs.

I just went to the store and purchased some Almonds and Nutella to assist with protein. Ditched the oatmeal for Cheerios (less carbs).

I'm 5''8 279 lbs 42 inch waist (no idea on other measurements). My belly of course is bigger than my waist but um that's all I know. I am an IT nerd so primarily sitting all day. I try and get a .50 walk in during my lunch and workout at least 4 days/week for 1.5 hours (last two days have been only an hour I thought Personal Trainer would show up).

My plan is

8am Glass of water
    9am 6 Egg Whites (Protein Shake)
    (May go on a walk/run/jump rope/ something here)
    11am 1 cup of Cheerios w/ a piece of fruit
    1pm Crackers with nutella
    3pm Misc Lunch (work provides lunch typically sandwiches,salad,etc)
    5pm Popcorn/Almonds some sorta snack
    7pm 8 oz chicken with 1 cup of broccoli
    8:15-10:30 workout
    10:30 Protein Shake

Midnight sleep

I drink TONS of water (at least 8oz an hour while at work)

My highest was 350 and I've dropped down to 280 but have been plateaued here for quite some time. Since I've changed my workout regiment I can feel my body putting on muscle and feel A LOT stronger than previously. My typical workout is 1 hr on the elliptical (typically get 6 - 7 miles), then 45-1hr of strength training which is low weights high reps (3 sets of 25).

K sorry for long post and thanks for any help with this.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Ritchiebulk,

Thanks for being here as a support for us and answering our questions honestly.
    I have a question. I've lost a substantial amount of weight. For the first while of my journey, I wasn't exercising at all and managed to lose weight. As time progressed, I began to exercise 4 times a week. I do cardio for an hour each time, mixed with some strength training, and I've lost consistently. If I cut back on my cardio now, is it going to hinder me losing weight because my body is so used to it?

Thank you!

Providing your calories and macronutrients are adjusted accordingly, no.

Besides, cardio burns VERY little calories, it isn't a good fat burning tool.

You should be fine, if you cut back on cardio keep the strength training up, it is the best thing for improving body composition. If you gain weight, because of reducing cardio (unlikely, in my opinion). Just lower calorie intake a bit if that happens.

ritch
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    My Diary is open is there anyway you can run through a few days and tell me your thoughts. I just did my TDEE and BMR and found out I'm WAY low on protein and a little high on carbs.

I just went to the store and purchased some Almonds and Nutella to assist with protein. Ditched the oatmeal for Cheerios (less carbs).

I'm 5''8 279 lbs 42 inch waist (no idea on other measurements). My belly of course is bigger than my waist but um that's all I know. I am an IT nerd so primarily sitting all day. I try and get a .50 walk in during my lunch and workout at least 4 days/week for 1.5 hours (last two days have been only an hour I thought Personal Trainer would show up).

My plan is

8am Glass of water
    9am 6 Egg Whites (Protein Shake)
    (May go on a walk/run/jump rope/ something here)
    11am 1 cup of Cheerios w/ a piece of fruit
    1pm Crackers with nutella
    3pm Misc Lunch (work provides lunch typically sandwiches,salad,etc)
    5pm Popcorn/Almonds some sorta snack
    7pm 8 oz chicken with 1 cup of broccoli
    8:15-10:30 workout
    10:30 Protein Shake

Midnight sleep

I drink TONS of water (at least 8oz an hour while at work)

My highest was 350 and I've dropped down to 280 but have been plateaued here for quite some time. Since I've changed my workout regiment I can feel my body putting on muscle and feel A LOT stronger than previously. My typical workout is 1 hr on the elliptical (typically get 6 - 7 miles), then 45-1hr of strength training which is low weights high reps (3 sets of 25).

K sorry for long post and thanks for any help with this.

Ok, there is a lot you need to change mate, but don't worry we can fix this!

How long have you been weight training?

Second thing you need to address, your protein is _WAY_ too low for someone your size, and your fat intake is WAY too low. Fat is extremely important for our bodies and our testosterone/hormones etc etc.

Third, you don't need a meal plan, and you don't have to eat that many meals, meal timing/frequency is irrelevant.

You need to calculate yourself some proper macro's/calories then you can eat whatever you want to hit those numbers.

First thing to remember though...

As you're lifting weights..

1g of protein per bodyweight (lbs)
    .45g of fat per bodyweight (lbs)

rest can go to carbs or whatever else you choose, whether it be more fat or protein or a bit in both.

use this calculator: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - use it on "Little/No Exercise" for the activity level as it tends to slightly over estimate otherwise.

Fourth, your training is incorrect. You need HIGH weight, LOW reps. Strength Training.

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/09/22/training-the-guide/ - This website, the entire thing, will be useful for you - but this page especially

If i missed anything let me know mate

ritch
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I really like this thread so I will ask a question :smile:

I'm in maintenance mode right now due to lots of life changes. I recently moved and don't have access to my bike, a gym, or even my scale for the time being.

I have been doing the C25K program 3 times a week and also an at home body weight based strength program 3 times a week. The strength program is a 4 week program with workouts that change each time and include things like squats, pushups, burpees, etc. The strength program is a pretty short (10-20 minutes) workout but very intense (done in a circuit). In addition to that routine I do some core exercises on my strength days like crunches, front and side planks, supermans or opposite arm/leg extensions. My husband even started doing this with me since we moved and he likes it well enough even though he prefers to lift in a gym.

Is this strength routine adequate? I have been tracking my progress and I have definitely improved quite a bit over time, for example there is one workout that is 50 burpees and the first time I did it in February it took me over 20 minutes and when I did the same workout in July it took me less than 10.

What home-based workout would you recommend? I do have a few hand weights in a box that I don't use but I think the heaviest are only 8 pounds. There might be some resistance bands in there too Since we just moved our budget is pretty tight so we can't purchase any new equipment or a gym membership right now although down the road we would like to have our own home gym.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    Hi Ritch !!
    When you say "lift weights" are the weight machines at the gym good enuff OR should i spend more time in that "free weight" section of the gym ?? How much time should i spend on the weights ? do the weights i use during circuit training twice a week count ?? i've lost 40 lbs over the last year but i still have a way to go .....i've been working out (mostly cardio , i'm addicted to it so i have a real hard time when you say it isn't NEEDED lol) and tracking my food consistently , but i can't lie and say that i don't want to see some faster results
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Not an expert but have to chime in - when you tell someone "nothing is wrong with diet soda" I just want to clarify.

Calorically, it's not going to add anything (hi, zero calories) but there is SO much research out there that tells you EXACTLY why diet soda is bad for you, to the point where you would be better off drinking regular soda. Artificial sweeteners do horrible things to your body and all you need to do to see the research is google "why you shouldn't drink diet soda" to see the results (this one is a pretty good article with research from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html).

I don't drink soda with any regularity (maybe one every 3-6 months?) but in saying that, after seeing the research (and other empirical evidence from my line of work), I will go out of my way to make sure that I avoid artificial sweeteners (even if that means logging >200 calories for a soda).
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Not an expert but have to chime in - when you tell someone "nothing is wrong with diet soda" I just want to clarify.

Calorically, it's not going to add anything (hi, zero calories) but there is SO much research out there that tells you EXACTLY why diet soda is bad for you, to the point where you would be better off drinking regular soda. Artificial sweeteners do horrible things to your body and all you need to do to see the research is google "why you shouldn't drink diet soda" to see the results (this one is a pretty good article with research from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html).

I don't drink soda with any regularity (maybe one every 3-6 months?) but in saying that, after seeing the research (and other empirical evidence from my line of work), I will go out of my way to make sure that I avoid artificial sweeteners (even if that means logging >200 calories for a soda).

Sure, go ahead avoid artificial sweeteners if you want. There is no hard evidence to support it, anywhere, on the internet. and I actually mean that. Huffington post is the most ridiculous website on planet earth full of lies and deceit.

Nothing is wrong with diet soda. If you want to drink 200 calories of normal soda and waste your calories, go ahead, I'm not stopping you. But remember as you said yourself, you're not an expert. I've spent the past 2 years of my life dedicating everything I have to research and helping myself and others. I will stand by my statement. I drink diet soda every single day of my life, as do many of my clients, we are all fine.

Keep believing the news love, everything is ok!