Favorite and least favorite Stephen King books/movies?

Options

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I haven't read a Stephen King or seen a movie in a while, but I do remember not being able to get through The Tommyknockers. I believe that's the one with the little gremlin. I just couldn't get into it and it's one of the few books I didn't finish.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Favorite Movie: Shawshank Redemption
    Least Favorite Movie: The Langoliers

Couldn't read him. He spends three chapters describing a blue button down shirt. Snore. Catch me now. I may not be here later.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, while walking the path around where I live, there were chalked designs on the pavement. Stars, hearts, hopscotch, etc. It gave me the heebie jeebies, as I reckon I must have thought the Low Men were after me. lol

I've read a TON of King. The Dark Tower series is probably my favorite, with The Stand coming in a close second. I really enjoyed The Green Mile, and the novellas Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, along with The Body. 11/22/63 was pretty good, of his newer works.

ETA: How many other fans read The Green Mile in the series of serials as they were released every two months or so??? That was THE WORST! lol Just getting a few chapters, then having to wait...

Oh and I hated The Tommyknockers. Just thought the story was downright stupid.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    Love a few: Pet Cemetery, IT, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Rose Red
    Hated: Langoliers, Tommyknockers
  • mollyya90
    mollyya90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am with bamabutterfly

Book: Duma key.
    Movie: green mile
  • robjenga
    robjenga Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Christine {oo)==v==(oo}
    Least: Langoliers...blech
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Favorite book was Everythings eventual (short stories) 1408 Blew my mind, the movie not so much.

Favorite movie The Langoliers followed closely by IT
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    Options
    When The Green Mile came out as a series of serial novels, I was obsessed with finding the release date and getting it as soon as it came out. I love the story, and the movie was a great production of the book(s.) Bag of Bones scared the CRAP out of me. I was living alone at the time and slept with all of the lights on.

My favorite movie is probably Shawshank Redemption - so good.

My least favorite book is either Gerald's Game or Lisey's Story. The Langoliers was my least favorite movie, I think.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Favorite movies: The Shawshank Redemption closely followed by The Green Mile and Stand By Me. (Sorry, huge fan.)
    Least Favorite Movie: Dolores Claiborne. (Didn't like the book much, don't know why the movie would be different.)

Favorite Book: The Stand (DT if I can count a series though)
    Least Favorite Book: Gerald's Game

**updated to make Gerald's Game my least favorite book. I forgot how much I hated that pile.
  • joergwb
    joergwb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Only books, haven't seen many movies:

Favourite: The girl who loved Tom Gordon
    Least favourite: The long walk

Just started to read "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon" last weekend! I'm at the "Third Inning" and I love it. :-)

Favorite Book: Misery
    Favorite Movie: Kubrick's Shining

Least favorite Book: Cycle of the Werewolf
    Least favorite Movie: there are too many. Mostly all the TV movies and mini series.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am surprised I haven't seen the Talisman mentioned. I haven't read it for years but I remember really liking it. Favorite movie was Shawshank and I still have the Stand and IT in my bookshelf to read.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hate Pet Semetary...too scary with the kid "I wanna play with you daddy".

Liked Cujo a lot.

Misery is my favorite.

I'm doing all the above as movies.^^

Now for the books

I liked needful things a lot.
    I did not like dreamcatcher nearly as much.
    There was also a weird one I can't remember where the guy sits in front of a computer too much and gets sucked in or held onto it. LOL. anyone remember that one? i think that was stephen king right?

Anyways the shining and shawshank are both amazing and fabulous but as for a movie IDK why I would still choose Misery over either, mostly I think because I like the old wry couple, and also Kathy Bates is insanely good there.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I am surprised I haven't seen the Talisman mentioned. I haven't read it for years but I remember really liking it. Favorite movie was Shawshank and I still have the Stand and IT in my bookshelf to read.
    I love the Talisman (enjoyed Black House as well) and Eyes of the Dragon too. There are just too many of his books that are favorites for me. lol
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    *Glances over at entire bookshelf of Stephen King* Umm...

Least favorites would have to be Lisey's Story, Duma Key, and 11/22/63. The first two just threw me off and the third just felt disjointed.

I loved Rage for all the wrong reasons. Eyes of the Dragon was my first, so it's stuck with me. I don't know how many times I've read The Stand and It. They're just epic.

Movies: The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption are obvious. The original Carrie was superb, but I'm iffy about the upcoming remake.

I accept that Under the Dome will never be completely in league with the book. The book needs an ending and the series needs no such thing, while things like Junior's necrophilia and the gang rape of Angie probably wouldn't go over too well with CBS.

The Langoliers was a little too ambitious for its capabilities, Dreamcatcher just didn't work, and the Mist was just funny.
  • fivepence
    fivepence Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, choosing a favourite is really tricky. I would say The Dark Tower series, but if I had to choose a single book it would be Insomnia.Ask me again tomorrow and the answer will probably be different!

My least favourite book was Pet Semetary-the only Stephen King book I have read which I didn't enjoy.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    i liked "It" as a TV movie.

i didn't particularly like "Stand By Me".

I liked It as a book. I couldn't stand the movie.

I'm currently reading the Dark Tower. MY FL can just skip this as they have heard it a billion times before.

I started "The Gunslinger" in the early 90s. I read it voarciously. I jumped into the "The Drawing of the Three" head first, and finihed it in two days. I then cracked open "The Waste Lands", and raced to the end. Cliff hanger? I went out to my bookstore to find the next volume. It hadn't been written yet. I waited. I waited. I waited. Nothing. Then he started pumping out "Dolores Claiborne". "Gerald's Game"... "Where the Hell is 'Wizard and Glass'?" I raged. Soon a press release was there. He might not even finish the series. he wasn't sure. WTF? I rage quit. I threw out all my King books. I was pissed.

Just recently, I found that he had completed the series after some accident he had bringing it home to him. So, I went out and started the series again from the beginning. I just started "Wizard and Glass" this week.

Prior to that, my favorite book was "The Stand"
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Favorite book: Pet Cemetary. It was my first and I read it when I was 9 or 10 years old. After that, I read almost everything he wrote up till ...

Worst book: Gerald's Game: A kinky, hallucinating woman handcuffed to a bed for the WHOLE time and a hungry stray dog...not appealing :)

Worst film: Pet Cemetary
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    FAVORITE BOOK: The Stand
    FAVORITE movie based on a book/story: Shawshank Redemption
    LEAST favorite movie: Thinner
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Sigh...I used to love Steven King...not so much anymore.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to say. I can't remember how much I liked a lot of the books mentioned.

Favourite book - The Stand. I also loved the DT series, just not sure how I feel about the end (I just finished a few months ago).
    There are a lot of runner ups. Needful Things and Different Seasons were close.

Least favourite book - I don't think I liked Lisey's Story. I also wasnt a big fan of Under the Dome.

Favourite movie - Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption. I haven't seen a lot of the movies though.

Least favourite movie - I was disappointed with Hearts in Atlantis.

ETA - I'm going to have to start watching the movies.