Getting sick after reaching your goal weight...

124»

Replies

• astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Yes they may sell stuff on the following page, but the article is still relevant.
    Who are "they"?

It turns out that "they" is the the certified nutritionist that wrote the article.

The author of the article is also the founder and owner of the Wellness Resources, Inc.
    Byron J. Richards, Founder/Director of Wellness Resources
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/about_us.php

The person writing the article stands to make a profit if you believe that his products will clear your body of toxins.

What about the following:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/EnvironmentalHealth/22080
    That article is written by By John Gever, Senior Editor, MedPage Today
    Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
    University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner

Perhaps that one is ok?

"Action Points

Point out that observational, cross-sectional studies cannot determine causality.
    Note also that the study did not examine whether there were deleterious health consequences due to changes in serum levels of organic pollutants that apparently were released from fat cells as a result of weight loss."

and

"Since most of these pollutants turned out to be undetectable in many samples, Lee and colleagues focused on the seven with the highest detection rates in participants who were at least 40 years old. The study group was comprised of 49% men and over half were white."

that is an extremely small sample size. they were able to cull out 7 people that supported their theory and they are not able to prove why their levels were higher.. there are all sorts of exposure routes for toxins.

and finally

Lee and colleagues acknowledged that the study design allowed for potential confounding and error, insofar as each participant had only one serum measurement of pollutant levels and reported their own previous weights.

all adding up to not a very through study. Certainly not enough information to draw any sort of conclusion and try to spit it out as a new found fact.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    Yes they may sell stuff on the following page, but the article is still relevant.
    Who are "they"?

It turns out that "they" is the the certified nutritionist that wrote the article.

The author of the article is also the founder and owner of the Wellness Resources, Inc.
    Byron J. Richards, Founder/Director of Wellness Resources
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/about_us.php

The person writing the article stands to make a profit if you believe that his products will clear your body of toxins.

What about the following:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/EnvironmentalHealth/22080
    That article is written by By John Gever, Senior Editor, MedPage Today
    Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
    University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner

Perhaps that one is ok?

"Action Points

Point out that observational, cross-sectional studies cannot determine causality.
    Note also that the study did not examine whether there were deleterious health consequences due to changes in serum levels of organic pollutants that apparently were released from fat cells as a result of weight loss."

and

"Since most of these pollutants turned out to be undetectable in many samples, Lee and colleagues focused on the seven with the highest detection rates in participants who were at least 40 years old. The study group was comprised of 49% men and over half were white."

that is an extremely small sample size. they were able to cull out 7 people that supported their theory and they are not able to prove why their levels were higher.. there are all sorts of exposure routes for toxins.

and finally

Lee and colleagues acknowledged that the study design allowed for potential confounding and error, insofar as each participant had only one serum measurement of pollutant levels and reported their own previous weights.

all adding up to not a very through study. Certainly not enough information to draw any sort of conclusion and try to spit it out as a new found fact.

I am not trying to spit anything out as a new found fact lol, merely sticking links up all over the shop.

:drinker:
  • MrsMck22
    MrsMck22 Posts: 44 Member
    Not quite the same thing but the dude next door to my parents house lost like 70kgs... then got hit by a car while riding a bike.

i'm sorry but I lol'ed when I read this. smh at myself ;)

I'm just as cruel. :X Poor guy, I hope he's okay though!

Actually he died...
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Its probably because they were very overweight to start with, sometimes certain problems are incorrectable or its just too late to undo the damage caused by an unhealthy lifestyle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!