dealing with the haters

Options
Hey guys
I'm working at losing about 40lbs (18kgs) over the next year or so and I've been pretty fanatical about tracking my food and keeping up with my exercise goals. Problem is I'm getting some flack from people who're telling me I'm being obsessive about losing weight.
I'm not sure how to combat that because what I consider good awareness and attitude to food and my body, some see as obsessive or negative. How would you approach a situation where someone says "omg, you're too obsessed about food! You need to chill out and stop being so anal about it!" ?

Replies

• BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Politely tell them to mind their own beeswax. it takes dedication to lose weight, no matter how much.

For some reason people like to bring others down, as it makes them feel better about their own misgivings. ignore them and focus on your goals.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Ignore them.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    "Everybody, one day will die, and be forgotton. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, f*** a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and f*** what everyone else thinks, trust me its a lot more fun that way.

Dont ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. Id rather be a person thats hated on, than a person that does the hating. A wise man one said..

haters gonna hate!"
  • GreenChile3
    Options
    Politely tell them to mind their own beeswax. it takes dedication to lose weight, no matter how much.

For some reason people like to bring others down, as it makes them feel better about their own misgivings. ignore them and focus on your goals.

^^this...I couldn't have said it better! :happy:
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    "Everybody, one day will die, and be forgetton. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, f*** a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and f*** what everyone else thinks, trust me its a lot more fun that way.

Dont ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. Id rather be a person thats hated on, than a person that does the hating. A wise man one said..

haters gonna hate!"

well said :wink:
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about it all the time or giving unsolicited advice? That would make people think you are obsessive - I know several people like that. I am obsessive about it myself but no one knows that because I don't talk about it unless someone asks. MFP is great since I can get it all out here!
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0cdbrqqfb1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ignore them.

This. Really it's the only way. Tell them to mind their own business.
    Now it's about food but once you'll lose the weight it will be the ''you are too skinny!'' or ''stop lifting or you'll look like a man''

The only way to make it stop is to tell them to keep their comments to themselves.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was thinking along the same lines as UrbanLotus. Keep it to yourself and nobody knows any different. I used to eat in my car at lunch because I hated others commenting on how little I was eating or why I wasn't going out with them to eat. Eventually, I said to myself, "My body, My life". Their words couldn't go any further than their lips unless I chose to take them with me. I eat what I want, where I want. My confidence- not arrogance- speaks volumes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know, you say yourself that you are fanatical about it, so maybe there is some truth to what your friends say. and thats why it bothers you.

so maybe ease up a little. it's okay to eat something without pre-logging it sometimes. it's okay to not log a meal once in a while. especially around certain people.

i'm not saying to throw caution to the wind, but if you've been doing this for a year, you should be able to know more or less what you should eat and drink to make you full or satiate your appetite when out with friends.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hey guys
    I'm working at losing about 40lbs (18kgs) over the next year or so and I've been pretty fanatical about tracking my food and keeping up with my exercise goals. Problem is I'm getting some flack from people who're telling me I'm being obsessive about losing weight.
    I'm not sure how to combat that because what I consider good awareness and attitude to food and my body, some see as obsessive or negative. How would you approach a situation where someone says "omg, you're too obsessed about food! You need to chill out and stop being so anal about it!" ?

Tell them it is your body, and you are in control of it. Tell them your weight needs to change, and that means the attention you pay to what you are eating also must change. Tell them you really would appreciate them being supportive- that you expect them to be supportive as your friend, family, whatever they are and that if they cannot say something positive then they should just keep their mouth shut.

Try to make a friend who will join in with you rather than criticize, maybe someone at a gym or a weight loss support group.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I think how much people think you're "obsessed" is probably pretty related to the amount you talk about diet, exercise, fitness, "your new life", etc.

Try changing the subject to something you all have in common.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

obsessed is the word the jealous and lazy use to describe the dedicated.
  • Antoine112
    Antoine112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "Everybody, one day will die, and be forgetton. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, f*** a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and f*** what everyone else thinks, trust me its a lot more fun that way.

haters gonna hate!"

Yeah!

well said :wink:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    tell them douchecanoes to pipe the *kitten* down

tumblr_mghtcgXyDn1qe342po1_500.gif

If you are taking a year to lose 40 lbs then I'd say you're working on it gradually, not obsessively.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    On one hand... yeah, ignore them.

On the other hand, if you're talking about calories and exercise all the time, that DOES get old. My personal maintenance is just that... my personal maintenance. Just like flossing my teeth and shaving my legs. I don't talk about it except on here or if asked. But I know people who are always talking about carbs and calories and grams of fat and MAKE it everyone's business.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    To quote Robert Downey Jr.
    “Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the *kitten* you were gonna do anyway.”
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I despise that word.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I despise that word.

Hater.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options