Being a runner AND strength training... How?

Options
13»

Replies

• tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I don't have time to read all the responses right now, but I also wanted to quickly say that I have just recently added running to my workout plan. I typically focus on lifting (with elliptical intervals immediately following when I have time), which I do three days a week and then I used to rest the other days. I used to do some running, but I haven't for about a year or so. To ease into running (because I'm not giving up my lifting), I'm doing the C25K program. So far, it's going better than I expected doing both. I know I won't probably seen nearly as much improvement on my strength as I would otherwise (I assume), but I'm okay with that for now. Anyway - I'm doing my running on my rest days and continuing my full body lifting workouts on my regular 3x/week schedule.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do both.

When I'm lifting at near my upper limits, my running suffers a little. So when I want to be able to run more, I back off a bit on my lifting. During the winter, snow and ice and cold keep me running slower anyway, so I lift heavier then.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to prioritize one of them. If you think of yourself primarily as a runner, then keep your strength training relatively light, focusing on lifts and exercises that will assist your running--such as hamstring and calf strengthening, and some not particularly taxing upper body work. If you want to be a lifter, then running has to be light and relatively short, so as not to interfere with recovery. I think it's a mistake to try to go all out on both running and lifting, since they have somewhat opposing requirements.

Correct. If you are a runner, the best way to improve is focus on running. You have to get miles in. If running is not absolutely your thing, then balance it out as others suggest but if you run 3 times a week, odds are you aren't going to get a lot better.

A lot depends on your age. I lift once a week because running 4X and then trying to get one other indoor workout is about all I can do. 6 workouts a week and I am maxed out. 5 is actually better.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both.

My runs are slower thant they used to be before lifting, because back then I only ran, now them squats and deadlifts are making it hard to run full speed the day after lifting :tongue:
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If you are not training for anything specific? ie - Half or full marathon.

Running can be a fun and energizing part of your weekly exercise regime.

This past spring I was running 2-3x per week and hitting the weights 2-3x as well. My routine was Tues & Thurs - weights, with Wed & Sun being running days. Some times I would add in weights on a Wed evening, and if I had no plans and my lovely wife was working, I would do an early Saturday morning run followed by a trip to the gym.

All the best finding a routine that works well for you.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking this

Take a bit for your mind to adjust, just do it. But definitely pick one as your focus, it gets 200 percent of your attention, the second one gets 100 percent of your focus.

Yep. Agreed. I run 20-30 miles a week and do one or two Les Mills BodyPump classes, each week, dependent on my work schedule. Running is my focus, the strength is for supporting that goal. I mix some yoga in about once a week to keep "bendy" too.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I work out 6x per week:

Run
    Weights
    Run/ Resistence (Leg day)
    Weights
    Run
    Circuits or run

Works well for me!! Just gotta find balance.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was on the same boat as you. I'm training for a marathon, and always scared to do strength, but every coach will say that strength helps running! my physical therapist as well!

I just started p90x and feel gooood! I'm flabby and I think strength will help me to avoid injury (as they say) and improve my fitness level (as they say) and look better!
  • FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I do both, but weight training is my priority. Squatting heavy has increased my running speed :)
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    subbing to read later.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Running and strength training made up my training and workouts for months and months. I shed fat and gained definition during that time. I was in the best shape I've ever gotten in! Personally, my schedule would look something like this each week:
    Monday shorter run (30-45 minutes) & abs (I did the P90X Abs Ripper X, 16 mins long)
    Tuesday: Arms & Shoulders (maybe with some cardio, about 10-15 minutes if any. Mostly got enough cardio from lifting, honestly)
    Wednesday: mid-distance run (45-60 minutes)
    Thursday: Chest & Back and abs
    Friday: long-distance run (60-90 minutes)
    Saturday: REST. Sometimes a light walk and stretching
    Sunday: Squats, lunges, kettlebell swings, weighted hula hooping, BodyRock or ZuzkaLight routines (youtube those), etc. & abs.

This is what worked for ME. Hope it helps :)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lift and lift heavy. You'll burn off that extra 20 pounds faster, and as a result you'll run faster. How much slower would you be if you tried to run a mile with a gallon of milk in each hand? I started lifting about a month ago, and run a bit less as a result but guess what? I shaved 36 seconds off my average mile time.

Lift heavy, lift often.

Rigger

^^ This. ^^

I have had a similar experience. I ran a half-marathon in May, got sidelined by shingles, and have only done a few runs since. BUT I've been religious about lifting, and when I went on one of my initial "get back into it" runs a few weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my cruising, not-working-hard-just-here-to-have-fun speed was about a minute faster than my old cruising speed.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I do Stonglifts 3 days a week and run 4-5 days a week. I always lift first and do short 20-30 minutes runs on lift days. I have days inbetween where I do cardio only. So my schedule is like this,

Saturday - Stronglifts, 20 minute run
    Sunday - cardio day, run 20-30 minutes, elliptical for 20 minutes
    Monday - Stronglifts, 20-30 minute run
    Tuesday - cardio 20-30 minute run with intervals, elliptical
    Wednesday - Stronglifts, elliptcal
    Thursday - cardio day, 30-45 minute run, elliptical
    Friday - Off