White Rice and Asians

Options

Replies

• kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT

They eat such low cal food in general and move all day .

So I can get to my 1700 calories per day by eating 8 candy bars and that would be fine? I think not. There's more to it than that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It's that simple. Occasionally people try to make it more complicated than this. It's just... not. It's simple.
    Third.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

Seriously, you need to stop spreading all these nasty lies, Contrarian.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    It's all the math they do.

LMAO
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Being Asian the answer is simple. We have a special enzyme that breaks down rice differently than other ethnicities. It's genetics. This enzyme breaks down the carbs in white rice and turns it into a protein of sorts, which annoys me because MFP food calculator doesn't take that into consideration when I log it.

So that's what it is!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Being Asian the answer is simple. We have a special enzyme that breaks down rice differently than other ethnicities. It's genetics. This enzyme breaks down the carbs in white rice and turns it into a protein of sorts, which annoys me because MFP food calculator doesn't take that into consideration when I log it.

So you're saying MFP needs a "I'm asian" button? :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

She's just living up to her name.
  • ChiManLifts
    Options

I have seen this firsthand. Also, you asians need a button that doubles your daily caloric allowance.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What you eat and how your body takes it has a lot to do with where you live and your genes. Asians can digest a lot of white rice, because they live in hot weather and they have to walk a lot. Read this book if you want to learn more

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8184001053/ref=ox_ya_os_product
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

She's just living up to her name.

Pipe down, cheap seats. :angry:
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

We all apparently eat white rice though.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    white rice, brown rice, wild rice. Eat which ever kind u want. It's the amount of it that u eat that may be the issue.

^^^ this

the Asians who eat white rice and stay thin, stay thin because they burn off what they eat. Specific foods don't make you fat, burning more than you eat does. If you find that you get fat eating white rice, then eat smaller servings of it, or even better, weigh all your food and add up your calories, and don't go over your calorie goal, and pay attention to getting all the nutrients your body needs, then you know you're eating the right amount of everything.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I lived in Japan. The rice portions are a lot bigger than a standard serving size honestly, at least where I lived.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    white rice, brown rice, wild rice. Eat which ever kind u want. It's the amount of it that u eat that may be the issue.
    Yep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options

So I can get to my 1700 calories per day by eating 8 candy bars and that would be fine? I think not. There's more to it than that.

Not if your only goal is losing weight. The 8 candy bars a day meal plan will leave you deficient in vitamins and other healthy things as well as make you a cranky person because you will be crazy hungry.. but you will lose weight. Because that will happen as long as you are burning more calories than you are eating (obviously making sure you are also eating enough calories.. starvation mode anybody? :laugh: ).
  • PlanetoftheAtheists
    Options
    1374834392100.gif
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Damn, I wish we did have that special enzyme. Because that would, um, rock. Sucks that we aren't special genetic snowflakes. :-)

You know what else sucks? The alcohol enzyme thing....grr!
  • PlanetoftheAtheists
    Options
    this article explains a lot... but essentially calories in vs calories out.

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/01/17/why-japanese-people-in-japan-dont-get-that-fat/

and FTR - at your height and weight you are just fine! you have no need to try to lose more, but work on building muscle instead.

Thank you for bringing reason and logic into the thread.

Just have to ruin everyone's day, don't you?

1374528056358.gif