Eating @ Work

Options
2»

Replies

• aggiekaren01
    aggiekaren01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I keep salad stuff in the fridge at work but sometimes I don't have the time or the desire to make it. I also keep Annie's version of easy mac in my desk along with whole wheat bread and peanut butter in case I just want something quick. I also have yogurt, string cheese, etc in the fridge so I just grab whatever I see first.

I tend to throw a lot of food away if I prep for more than a few days.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I do not have a lack of discipline, and I'm not making excuses. Some days you just don't have anything to bring. I constantly prep my stuff for the week, and one of the things went bad, I don't have anything at work and I'm looking for something to make that's quick at work. Making something on Sunday and having it today would require time travel or a flux capacitor of sorts.

Go buys some cans of tuna and/or salmon, some unsalted nuts, some quest bars etc. and keep them are you desk for times you forget or don''t have time to run to the store.

Are quest bars any good? I keep reading people here talk about them and have no idea what they are / how they are.

Thanks for the advice, I am so lethargic today, using salmon or tuna in can completely slipped my mind lol
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Go buys some cans of tuna and/or salmon, some unsalted nuts, some quest bars etc. and keep them are you desk for times you forget or don''t have time to run to the store.

Are quest bars any good? I keep reading people here talk about them and have no idea what they are / how they are.

Thanks for the advice, I am so lethargic today, using salmon or tuna in can completely slipped my mind lol
    [/quote]

yes they are amazing! Message me and I'll drop you a Coupon Code for free shipping
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    In the morning when I put coffee on I throw a sweet potato in the oven and put an egg on to boil. I will usually cook extra carrots in the evening or take spinach and throw in my pot with the egg in it after it is done boiling and let it set for a few minutes. Grab some fruit, peel the sweet potato (takes 2 seconds) pack up and head out. It is very systematic for me in the morning though.

Cook a dozen eggs on the weekend and keep in the fridge if you dont have time to cook. Cottage cheese and fruit is great. Bake a chicken breast ahead of time saute it with spinach tomatoes and onions, literally take minutes and effort.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of two kids that is a planning a wedding and works full time, hence I have no time for anything, lol. So, while I would love to prepare my food on Sunday for the following week, I usually try to work out or spend time with kids instead. So, my usual method is go to the store thats 2 minutes away from my work on Monday during my lunch break and get a ton of healthy stuff for the week for my lunches. This is what is usually on my grocery list:

- shredded cheese and reduced fat triscuits (put them together and pop in the microwave, YUM)
    - the mixed bag of veggies (usually carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli)
    - Bolthouse ranch dressing (45 cals/ 2 tblsp)
    - Greek yogurt (the Yoplait 100 cals are really good)
    - fruit salad (the already made ones that they put in the plastic containers)
    - almonds
    - protein bars (quest are good, but there are always so many different ones to try which makes it fun, lol)
    - chicken salad (they may not have this at a CVS, but I go to the grocery store and its really good there)
    - pretzals
    - baby bell reduced fat cheese (this goes great with apples for a snack)
    - Canned Tuna
    - Vanilla Almond milk and protein powder (makes a great snack together)

Those are just a few ideas of some things you can fix up quickly. This is my life, so if you need any more tips, just ask, lol :)
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Things are different here in the U.K. in that we just don't have as much choice of products that you guys over the pond do. i tend to take the same lunch most day which is Lauging Cow light spreadable cheese on 2 low cal crackers and a sliced vine tomato with basil. Add a couple of snack boxes of raisins/sultanas/ apricots (all dried) and thatv usually does the trick.
  • Beccawho1977
    Beccawho1977 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sabre makes hummus to go with pretzel chips...since you are thinking of stopping by the grocery story, you can get some lean deli meat (Boar's Head roasted turkey and oven baked chicken are yummy!) and then you'd have your protein covered. While there, pick up a cup of fresh sliced fruit and some vitamin water. :)
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I might suggest making some of those Harvest / granola bars
    dead easy and you can put what you like in which means they are better than those ones you see in the supermarket
    try
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-granola-bars-recipe/index.html
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I bake chicken every Sunday and Wednesday, portion them out and take them to work. Every Sunday I cut up veggies and fruit for the week and measure them and put them in bags in the fridge or containers. You could always make a wrap or a pita.

This is what we do in our house too. I have to make the majority of my food because of food allergens, and being able to do it twice a week and portion everything out ahead of time has been a real lifesaver. I eat lots of meats and rice, portion out fruits and veggies ahead of time, and even my protein shake mix for breakfast before I leave. I even pre-log it so then I'm more likely to stay on track, and make sure I have everything for the day (since I typically leave my house at 6:45 AM, and get home after 7 PM).
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I bring a turkey or ham sandwich on multi grain bread, Greek yogurt, baby carrots/raw cauliflower, boiled eggs, cheese sticks, fresh fruit eithe cut up into containers or whole, and protein shakes. Sometimes I bring peanut butter sandwiches on the same bread. I just vary what I bring counting these items.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your original post is a bit vague and it took reading several of your replies to understand that you were needing a fix for right now, not a game plan for how to do lunches for the week.

I would suggest picking up a bag of salad mix, either a can/pack of tuna or salmon, some cherry tomatoes and other precut veggies, and some salad dressing. It'll be pretty easy to guestimate the calories in the salad because you'll know the fish from the packet, the veggies are pretty low for the quantity, and you'll have to do your best judgement for the salad dressing. If your grocery store does rotisserie chicken, that could be an option as well but would be harder to judge calories since you won't be able to weigh them out.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    wound up getting some light tuna packed in water, some olive oil mayo and some minute brown rice medley. mixed it together with some habanero hot sauce in the fridge and a xience xenergy drink. yum lol