White Rice and Asians

Options

Replies

• rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread! I know what you mean girl! I cook a pot of rice almost everyday-my husband is Puerto Rican. It is definitely hard to eat it in moderation when you're so used to just piling it on with some beans! The first time you measure out that 1 cup of rice-you're gonna be sick! Compared to the half a plate I was used to fixing myself-that one cup was packed so tight-like brown sugar I tell you! It's a wake up call. Portion control is key!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Being Asian the answer is simple. We have a special enzyme that breaks down rice differently than other ethnicities. It's genetics. This enzyme breaks down the carbs in white rice and turns it into a protein of sorts, which annoys me because MFP food calculator doesn't take that into consideration when I log it.
    Maybe that's my answer too!:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

We all apparently eat white rice though.

True. And all of you are thin.
  • sarashiveley
    sarashiveley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Being Asian the answer is simple. We have a special enzyme that breaks down rice differently than other ethnicities. It's genetics. This enzyme breaks down the carbs in white rice and turns it into a protein of sorts, which annoys me because MFP food calculator doesn't take that into consideration when I log it.

lol too funny!
  • sarashiveley
    sarashiveley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i actually dont see a lot of asians responding to this thread????? maybe i'm just missing them? lol i love rice though!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The Asians you speak of eat an appropriate amount of rice for their activity level.

Confucius say "You can eat the rice if you log it"

Wax on, wax off.

Also, this:
    2v7xmva.jpg
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    The Asians you speak of eat an appropriate amount of rice for their activity level.

Wax on, wax off.

:noway: Confucius never said that!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think, and I could be wrong here, it's because everyone was kung fu fighting.

Those cats were fast as lightning.

Or it could be it's not white rice which is a problem but over consumption of calories in general.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

THANK YOU.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Wax on, wax off.

:noway: Confucius never said that!

No, Confucius say "man who go through airport turnstile sideways bound to Bangkok..."
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    Go to an American restaurant and order a serving of rice. Then go to an authentic Asian restaurant and order a service of rice.

BING BING BING!! Not metabolism, it's the portions sizes. Asian portions are just smaller in general.
  • MG_Fit
    Options
    BING BING BING!! Not metabolism, it's the portions sizes. Asian portions are just smaller in general.

SPECIAL ENZYME ... and as another poster mentioned, it's also the one that gives many the red face when alcohol touches our lips.
  • ChiManLifts
    Options

SPECIAL ENZYME ... and as another poster mentioned, it's also the one that gives many the red face when alcohol touches our lips.

Have you not yet discovered Pecid AC?
  • MG_Fit
    Options

Hah...you got me. I don't have that enzyme that many of my Asian brothers and sisters do. It's about portion control for me. That said, I also don't get red. My wife however loves the Pepcid AC.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I can confirm...Pepcid is magic for me.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Seriously? How is it that I've never heard of this?! I'm trying it immediately. (well, when I get off work)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

It's a genetic variation, ALDH2*2 that causes them to produce a less powerful form of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase.

Okay, carry on with the silliness. :)
  • MG_Fit
    Options

As is your Hello Kitty shirt.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Seriously? How is it that I've never heard of this?! I'm trying it immediately. (well, when I get off work)

Pop a couple a half an hour before you drink.

Warning though! It makes you drunk faster, in my experience. Makes things cheaper though, I guess :laugh:

Edit: Hello kitty is the most magical being there is.