What is your overcompensation for misery? [PIC HEAVY]

Options

Replies

• BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, I totally get this.
    Mine is obviously food.

OP you've got me thinking this morning. Thank you.

You're here and that tells me a lot. You're in control. Be happy :)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Does crywank count?

Man, ever finished, looked at what you were watching and thought: "what the hell am I doing with my life?"

Oh yes. Or when you realise you were watching Button Moon. I took a long, hard look at myself in the mirror that afternoon.
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    Does crywank count?

Man, ever finished, looked at what you were watching and thought: "what the hell am I doing with my life?"

Oh yes. Or when you realise you were watching Button Moon. I took a long, hard look at myself in the mirror that afternoon.

Mine was after an episode of Game of Thrones.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Does crywank count?

Mine was after an episode of Game of Thrones.

That's a wide variable though. Did it end on a naked Daenerys embracing dragons or a pile of decapitated corpses?
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Make up? What's that?
    I don't even think I've brushed my hair in the past 4 days.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I finally learned not to let myself get miserable. I'd say that up until my early thirties I was a wallow in my sadness kind of person. Then I realized that while I was whining about it, life was just passing me by. I don't have a stress free life. I'm a single mom living on a fairly low income. I just finally decided that I'm not going to freak out about everything anymore. I make the decisions that will ultimately bring peace and happiness to my life. It's a conscious decision everyday to be a calm, simple person.

When I do find myself overwhelmed, I jump on a bicycle and ride the *kitten* out of it.

Despite what most people think, 21 is a pretty difficult time in life. You are probably trying to figure out your whole future right now. Don't. Your life will constantly evolve and change. Just go with it and enjoy the ride.
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    I finally learned not to let myself get miserable. I'd say that up until my early thirties I was a wallow in my sadness kind of person. Then I realized that while I was whining about it, life was just passing me by. I don't have a stress free life. I'm a single mom living on a fairly low income. I just finally decided that I'm not going to freak out about everything anymore. I make the decisions that will ultimately bring peace and happiness to my life. It's a conscious decision everyday to be a calm, simple person.

When I do find myself overwhelmed, I jump on a bicycle and ride the *kitten* out of it.

Despite what most people think, 21 is a pretty difficult time in life. You are probably trying to figure out your whole future right now. Don't. Your life will constantly evolve and change. Just go with it and enjoy the ride.

I can finally overlook and find myself depression-free. :-) I am really really happy with where my life is going. Thanks for your input, I can definitely take a lesson from your words. :flowerforyou:
  • KiKiWoods
    KiKiWoods Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Amazing post! Me? I analyze everyone else’s stuff! Very effective for not working on my stuff! Hummmmm…..what to do now? I think I will e-mail a friend for an update……you know, about their stuff!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    whine, cry, yell, get angry at total strangers, make everyone around me miserable.

That's what I do, then go home sit in a dark house for two days and eat everything in sight.

THEN, pick myself up, dust off (shower), and move on with life :)
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    Make up? What's that?

I was once like you. I miss it ;3;
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Make up? What's that?

post-15845-Apz6.gif
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Amazing post! Me? I analyze everyone else’s stuff! Very effective for not working on my stuff! Hummmmm…..what to do now? I think I will e-mail a friend for an update……you know, about their stuff!

This!! I use to do this!! Fix everyone else, and I was good at it, most of the time. My own issues got buried and ignored until they kinda exploded all over me, that brought on depression and eating.. lots of both.

I'm 48 and just now beginning to understand that "happy" is my own decision despite my circumstances, and happy is also fleeting. Right now I'm happier than I've been in many many years, and it's because I finally forced myself to feel my own misery and then move past it, and get God into my life.

However I still have to yank myself out of hiding in books or even watching stupid Netflix to keep from thinking and facing stuff. lol
  • SunshineGirl75P
    SunshineGirl75P Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I procrastinate.
    Like now, I should be finding a way to come up with extra money since I destroyed my engine, but instead I have cooked dinner for my parents, babysat my grandson, babysat neices and nephew, played mindless games on my phone, searched out new shows to watch OnDemand or Netflix, & the list goes on... I guess it is good that my PS3 broke or I would have some serious game hours logged!

Anyway, thank you for this post. Just what I needed to evaluate where my current path is taking me. :flowerforyou:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Good read, OP! I would say I overcompensate by overachieving. The more misery, the more I take on. If my house is in perfect order, my kids are busy, and I'm completely neck deep in sports, clubs, recipes, and pinterest projects, then I must be happy, right?! Right? Perfection = happiness, right?!

Oh, and I make pie. Banana cream is my specialty.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    LifeGivesLemons_Fullpic_1_large.gif

ETA: Op is pretty, and I liked your post. :D

I read this in my head with the voice of Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty. Felt right.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Make up? What's that?

I was once like you. I miss it ;3;

Come to the grungy side. We'll turn that addiction right around.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what this is about but when I seen the pic of you in the blue strap shirt and I had to reply, you look awesome!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Cookies, candy, chocolate, and cake

I love these. It's funny because I didn't have an issue with cookies, candy, and cake until after I lost 25 pounds. I lost 25 pounds, I made my regular holiday treats (cookies, bars, chocolate covered pretzels), I gained 10 pounts in 2 weeks.

For me it's not about misery, though, it's about any imbalance in my life. I haven't dealt with depression since I was in my early 20's, but I have had stress take over during periods of time, which just throws everything out of balance. I've been in the process of moving into my house for 4 months now, the turmoil has me all out of sorts.
  • Sesaza
    Sesaza Posts: 49
    Options
    if it makes you feel any better op, i would smash you with the might of 10,000 titans.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    The internets take me away...... I should probably log off now.