So ANNOYED by food pushers at my office!

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Look them straight in the eye and calmly ask them why they would do something so sh!tty. I personally see nothing wrong with fried chicken tenders or anything, but what they did is pretty rude. You can either let it be known that you aren't going to put up with it or you can be mad at your co-workers all the everyday.
  • pattycakes1978
    pattycakes1978 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have some of those at my work as well. Most of the time I am able to say no thank you. When they really get to me I eat at my desk and go workout during lunchtime or go eat my lunch outside. Good luck.
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always say "no thanks, I'm being good today." We do have the birthday bashes here constantly. When I'm not feeling strong, I just don't go. And when I am feeling strong I will go, sing HB and then leave. They always seem to understand and maybe it's because I had lost 40 lbs. with the help of MFP and gained 20 back due to surgery. Now I'm on the road again. In any case, I always just try and be polite about it.
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    But lately, they have been ragging on me about my diet. We were sitting in the lunch room , I had a sandwich and a salad, and one of my co-workers waved a chicken finger in front of my face and said "mmmmm sooo good. Don't you just wish you could eat it?".

Asking if you want to participate in ordering out can be viewed as friendly. This is a tough one to respond to because responding to rudeness is just hard. Polite people can be easily dealt with--rude jerks, not so easily.

Some ideas, which require a quizzical look:
    "Did you really just ask me if I wanted to eat your lunch?"
    "Why are you so interested in what I'm eating and not eating?"
    "I didn't really see that, did I? Did you really wave your food in my face?"

Additional ideas:
    "I'd really rather you kept your meal out of my face" (deal with the behavior)
    "I don't think we need to discuss my food choices."
    <stare at pointedly, saying nothing at all>

Follow all of these with a totally off-topic conversation starter to another person: "Lisa, did you say your daughter just got her permit?", "Mike, how are you vacation plans coming along."

This is really tough to handle--and I'd find it impossible if I didn't have something already figured out to say.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and I have the same thing happen to me too, a lot. Today for instance. Our office had catered in, Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Hot Buttered Rolls, etc. and it's a nightmare here. They act like I'm insane because I brought my lunch. I have one friend here who weighs twice what I do and can barely walk and they just don't get it.

Keep doing what you are doing, you look great.
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    Do some burpees in front of them and say "ooooooooh don't you just wish you could do that?"

They're doing it to annoy you because they KNOW they're fat and unhealthy and they've given up. You have to stop showing them it's upsetting you - that's why they keep doing it. SMILE and eat your salad in their face and talk about how you feel so much better and how you can't wait to hit the gym. HIT 'EM WHERE IT HURTS. You NEVER let people see you sweat!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    They are definitely trying to sabotage you. I would seek revenge ASAP.

Yeah, put a screwdriver in their tires or key their cars, and the one that had the poutine...smash her windows with a rock.

Exactly. We're on the same page.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Also, I come from a different area of the Country where we don't have poutine. What is it?

The basics: fries with cheese curds, topped with gravy. It's Canadian. Some places around me are doing variations, like an asian kind with bulgogi and a fried egg and kimchi. Or braised beef poutine. It's just as awesome as it sounds.

Is that like the chili-cheese fries? French fries covered with chili and grated colby/sharp cheddar cheese.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    one of my co-workers waved a chicken finger in front of my face and said "mmmmm sooo good. Don't you just wish you could eat it?".

You work with 7th grade boys? :huh:
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    If you really want to be nasty...and I woudln't blame...go to HR about harassment.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Also, I come from a different area of the Country where we don't have poutine. What is it?

The basics: fries with cheese curds, topped with gravy. It's Canadian. Some places around me are doing variations, like an asian kind with bulgogi and a fried egg and kimchi. Or braised beef poutine. It's just as awesome as it sounds.

Is that like the chili-cheese fries? French fries covered with chili and grated colby/sharp cheddar cheese.

Different kind of cheese and gravy, but hell, I'd like some chili-cheese fries too.

We sometimes make a ridiculous meal we call tot-chos. Sweet potato tots topped with chorizo, queso, sour cream, and jalapeno. Glad I'm not on a diet so I can eat this kind of stuff ;)

I feel like these posts are very cruel given OP's topics, huh?
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I say this as nicely as possible:

get over it.

By asking you to join them in their lunch orders, they're being nice, not sabotaging you.

The pushiness sounds like it's coming from a different place. How you react matters. If you act upset, they'll continue doing it, likely. If you say, "nah, I don't want to eat that - this salad is great" or "I don't wish I could eat that - I COULD eat it. but I don't want to" perhaps they'll leave you alone. If not, and if you do not enjoy eating with them, stop eating with them. Eat at your desk, take your lunch outside, eat at a different time if possible.

Eventually, as you lose weight, they'll see that your choices are paying off.

Edited to add: Now I really want poutine.

took the words right outta my mouth :drinker:
  • flowers8628
    Options
    one of my co-workers waved a chicken finger in front of my face and said "mmmmm sooo good. Don't you just wish you could eat it?".

You work with 7th grade boys? :huh:

No but they act like it. The oldest is 54 (the one who taunted me with the chicken finger!) and the youngest is 30. Both pushing the limits of obesity.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, they sound mature :angry:

Keep on doing what you're doing, it's great that you're not giving in! Let them eat themselves into obesity and they'll be the ones complaining when you're at your goal and they're moaning that they can't lose weight! :smile:
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    They are definitely trying to sabotage you. I would seek revenge ASAP.

Yeah, put a screwdriver in their tires or key their cars, and the one that had the poutine...smash her windows with a rock.

LOOOOOOL!
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    I literally just pictured a table of women, 4 of them obese (all with chicken fingers and fries) and one with a salad. One woman was waving a chicken finger in the salad girls face. Is this real life?
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Mmmm! Now *I* want Poutine! Chili cheese fries would also work...
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    They may think they're joking with you, because, as most of us have, they understand cravings that come with 'dieting' and think you're going through it too. They may not actually realize the ridiculousness, unsupportiveness, and harm they are trying to do. I don't think revenge is the right method here, and I definitely don't think comments like "I don't want to be fat like you" are appropriate as some have suggested. We should not body shame others. You don't know the struggles they are going through, and how would you feel if someone said that to you?

That said, rude behaviour is rude and we shouldn't have to put up with it. There were some good suggestions, I thought, such as just calling them out on it nicely with statements like, "I don't think we need to discuss my food choices."

A simple "hey, thanks for asking me if I wanted to (order/have some, etc) earlier, I appreciated that. I realize you don't want to leave anyone out, and you never know when I might be in the mood. However, once I've said no, please don't mock my choices? I'm working hard at something, and it makes me feel judged. I don't judge you for eating what you want, and waving food in my face just seems really rude, even if you don't mean it that way."

Let's face it, they may subconsciously feel threatened, and they may be unhappy or stressed or whatever. You shouldn't have to put up with it, but you shouldn't try to make them feel worse either. Lay it out nicely, and then if it continues, be less nice ('look Madge, I told you it bugged me to do that, knock it off, we're not in high school'), and if it still continues, call HR. Seriously. Because if after nice and respectful and firmer but still appropriate, they still don't stop, they are bullies. And bullying is bad work place behaviour.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I always hated that when I worked in an office, too. I just walked away with my healthy lunches and then took a walk during the rest of my break. They would look at my food choices and say, "But you're so skinny now. Why do you still eat that stuff?" I'd reply with, "That's EXACTLY why I still eat *that stuff*."

They finally got the point.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I literally just pictured a table of women, 4 of them obese (all with chicken fingers and fries) and one with a salad. One woman was waving a chicken finger in the salad girls face. Is this real life?

Now picture the salad girl responding the way some of the posters in this thread have suggested, and it gets even more ridiculous.