So ANNOYED by food pushers at my office!

Options

Replies

• sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When they compliment your weight loss and ask how you did it just say "I didn't eat that chicken tender you waved in my face."
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    "I've lost X lbs as of today. I didn't get to where I am by eating fast food."
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    one of my co-workers waved a chicken finger in front of my face and said "mmmmm sooo good. Don't you just wish you could eat it?".

WTF DO I DO

Take the chicken finger from her. Take a big bite out of it. Spit it out, and say, "ugh... no, I guess not."
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I work in the fast food industry at corporate headquarters, and there is always food coming out of the test kitchen. And vendors bringing in samples. And coworkers buying the food and bringing it in. But I've made a lifestyle change, and I just don't eat that stuff. It's MY choice, I'M responsible. Without being an azz to coworkers, when offered something, I say no thank you. If one were to wave something and ask if I'm tempted, I think my response would be to say that kind of thing just doesn't look good to me anymore, which is true. Or maybe that I'm saving up for a weekend bender. Whatever. No point in being nasty (never a good idea to poison your work environment) - just smile and discharge the situation.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do some burpees in front of them and say "ooooooooh don't you just wish you could do that?"

They're doing it to annoy you because they KNOW they're fat and unhealthy and they've given up. You have to stop showing them it's upsetting you - that's why they keep doing it. SMILE and eat your salad in their face and talk about how you feel so much better and how you can't wait to hit the gym. HIT 'EM WHERE IT HURTS. You NEVER let people see you sweat!

And if they can do more than you?
    WTF DO I DO
    Just quit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would just say "mmmmmm keep getting fatter"..I will be over here leaning out and working out ...
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    "I've lost X lbs as of today. I didn't get to where I am by eating fast food."

In all honesty, while working in an office, this is how I responded to food pushing. I never got upset, I would just say:

I'm down 40 pounds and want to keep going that way.
    Looks great but I already have my treats planned for the day.
    I just burned 500 in the gym and can't bring myself to put it back with that cookie!

I always said it with a smile or jokingly. I never judged others' choices. I just did my own thing. And sometimes, I ate the cookie. On my birthday, I definitely ate the cake.

Logged it, moved on, and look at my ticker. It worked.
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My coworkers see how much I've lost, even in my face, so, they don't question my not partaking of those celebratory donuts someone brings in every-other-day.
  • darkorical
    darkorical Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    upon further thought I realized the solution may be much simpler

Next time they wave food in your face
    Sneeze
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to everyone but the person eating fast food is rarely jealous of your salad and they probably really aren't jealous of your "healthy lifestyle" in general because the whole healthy, fit and happy thing hasn't clicked for them. It has to happen for everyone in their own time, much like anyone who needs help, they won't accept it or understand it until they want to.

Be an adult, ignore them. There are many reasons why losing weight and getting healthy is hard and outside influences are one of them but making snide remarks or even joking ones probably won't fix the problem.

Or heck, join them one day and plan it in, might show them that moderation actually works too... not just eating rabbit food every day. I have yet to really need to eliminate anything from my diet to lose weight. Fast food occasionally isn't ruining anyone's success or health.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I say this as nicely as possible:

get over it.

By asking you to join them in their lunch orders, they're being nice, not sabotaging you.

The pushiness sounds like it's coming from a different place. How you react matters. If you act upset, they'll continue doing it, likely. If you say, "nah, I don't want to eat that - this salad is great" or "I don't wish I could eat that - I COULD eat it. but I don't want to" perhaps they'll leave you alone. If not, and if you do not enjoy eating with them, stop eating with them. Eat at your desk, take your lunch outside, eat at a different time if possible.

Eventually, as you lose weight, they'll see that your choices are paying off.

Edited to add: Now I really want poutine.

I TOTALLY agree with what you are saying for the most part, and I think people are being polite by asking her to join them for lunch...however, it's crossing a line when someone putting a chicken finger in your face, waves it around, and says"Don't you wish you could get this??" No matter if you are dieting or not, that's just plain rude behavior. Who does that to anybody, anyway?
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When it used to happen to me I'd politely refuse then point at myself up and down while saying "my body's a temple". Do this with a big grin every time.

They'll soon expect the response and cool it on the (chicken) finger waving.
  • kayjaycee9
    kayjaycee9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I say this as nicely as possible:

get over it.

By asking you to join them in their lunch orders, they're being nice, not sabotaging you.

The pushiness sounds like it's coming from a different place. How you react matters. If you act upset, they'll continue doing it, likely. If you say, "nah, I don't want to eat that - this salad is great" or "I don't wish I could eat that - I COULD eat it. but I don't want to" perhaps they'll leave you alone. If not, and if you do not enjoy eating with them, stop eating with them. Eat at your desk, take your lunch outside, eat at a different time if possible.

Eventually, as you lose weight, they'll see that your choices are paying off.

Edited to add: Now I really want poutine.

^^Agree! It's not that you "can't" eat the food it's because you "don't want to".
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Some ideas, which require a quizzical look:
    "Did you really just ask me if I wanted to eat your lunch?"
    "Why are you so interested in what I'm eating and not eating?"
    "I didn't really see that, did I? Did you really wave your food in my face?"

I agree with these tactics. I am related to some insane people, and I find that it works very well when the calm, reasonable person looks at the crazy person with incredulity, and says, "did you really just _____________?"
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    upon further thought I realized the solution may be much simpler

Next time they wave food in your face
    Sneeze

This would be awesome. Bet the person would never do it again!
  • marthahorn
    Options
    Alcoholics will pester everyone around them to drink so that the alcoholic does not feel out of place. People confronted by someone eating healthy will do the same thing. They can't handle the guilt of eating poorly and your eating healthy in their presence causes them to project their feelings onto you. I'd change lunch partners. You can't change them and insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Alcoholics will pester everyone around them to drink so that the alcoholic does not feel out of place. People confronted by someone eating healthy will do the same thing. They can't handle the guilt of eating poorly and your eating healthy in their presence causes them to project their feelings onto you.

THAT.
  • tigrisaligris
    Options
    I usually find that just saying "No, thank you" will suffice. If I do get comments on what I decided to bring for lunch, like the coworker who questioned if my half-a-baked-potato was the only thing I was going to eat, I responded that "actually, it's very filling." - and then changed the subject.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Today, as it's Friday (YAY!) there are donuts everywhere! I have been to 4 departments today, and all 4 had donunts. Two offered me some I just said no. I actually do not like donuts so that's pretty easy for me. When people pop their heads in and say goodies in the hall, I just smile and say thanks. Never getting up.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'd say "well I could eat it, but I really don't want to end up looking like you" :tongue: :laugh:

This.