Scary Skinny Celebrities

Options
13»

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Diem- what a sucky thing to say. I don't comment much, but what you said totally ruffles my feathers. I eat almost 2000 calories per day and you can play xylophone on my ribs. Is it because I'm starved? I think not! I've always had a protruding rib cage, collarbone and chest bones. That's just how I'm built. You could even see it when I was considered "Obese".

Same here. Even before I lost weight, my ribs, hip bones & collar bones stuck out. Can't help it, and actually, I wouldn't change it even if I could because I like the way they look!

This article is messed up. A lot of these women look perfectly healthy to me.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    What a horribly b*tchy article.

yep
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    One thing I couldn't help but notice is the variance in what they were nit-picking. I counted eight separate things they found something wrong with:
    1) Biceps
    2) Bones in Chest / Ribs visible
    3) "Sullen" or gaunt fces.
    4) Arms in general
    5) Knees
    6) Thin legs
    7) Hip bones visible
    8) "Freakishly toned back"

I'll admit, after my battle with cancer made me abnormally thin and after I saw it do the same thing to many of my fellow patients, thinness of frame and face will sometimes cause me to raise an eyebrow. Many animals do tend to lose weight when they are ill. But I also know there are some people who are just that way. My brother's one of them. He's healthy, but simply has a thin build. So I might be thinking "wow, (s)he is really thin" but I don't automatically assume something is wrong because of it.

I also tell my friends that I think they should focus their energies on fitness rather than on being skinny because "skinny" and "fit" aren't always synonymous. But I know people who are both. I remember being in the weightroom with my friends once and we were puzzled when we saw a very thin man putting more weight on the bar than we thought he'd ever be able to handle, based soley on our past experiences and visual assessment of his frame. He promptly started knocking out reps with no trouble. Lesson learned.

So, knowing things aren't always what they seem to be, I have to say many of these items are very, as some people said, catty. These people are going out and looking for flaws. Some of these "flaws" are also probably dependant on the view angle of the camera in that specific shot. The muscles are moving. Some are flexing while others are relaxing. Some people have thin faces, but that could be a function of the facial expression being used at the time.

One thing I also noticed- not one argument of why these people were "scary skinny" tried to use any objective data, not even hotly debated issues like BMI standard. Nobody's talking about height, weight, measurements, or body fat percentages. There's no data to say "this individual may be having health problems". It's ALL based on the opinion of the writers. If the writer's someone who doesn't like the "thin" look (opinions are like bellybuttons, after all), then anyone who's not fat, thick, or big enough is "scary".
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of baloney. I didn't look at all the celebs, but from the several I did see, most of them looked absolutely healthy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I actually like getting the "eat a cheeseburger" comments, because I typically respond that I had two yesterday, with a side of curly fries, but tonight's pizza night. :devil:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think the person who wrote that article is truely ugly.

While weight is always an issue with starlets, so many of those pictures don't show enough to draw a conclusion on how fit the person is.

WTF was wrong with RZ's beautifully defined back?

Really, basing 50% of the pictures on whether or not you can see a bone in a chest? Yeah, that would mean that I have issues.

It's difficult to look at LL at her unhealthiest . . . it just makes me want to cry.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Want the body shaming to stop????? Stop buying the stupid magazines! If all of us just stopped buying the magazines that call out every celebrity for being too fat or too thin, this whole thing would stop. God forbid they might have to actually write something of substance rather than trash articles about who looks like **** or is fabulous. Well, I guess the Kardashians would be might fall off the face of the planet but who cares.....stop buying them! Now that I have a little girl, I will not buy any of this crap. I also am doing my best to not rub my insecurities off on my daughter.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Where's the slideshow for the celebrities who have let themselves go and gotten too fat? You'll never see it.

Except on the cover of People Magazine, Enquirer, OK magazine, etc. WTH?
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Women could rule the world if we quit obsessing about our bodies. Eat right, get some exercise, stay healthy, but don't let it rule your world. Go to college, start a business, build something, run for office, fix things, laugh, love. . . . we women are so much more than just bodies that are "wrong".

...and pee standing up.

http://www.thepstyle.com/pages/What's-a-pStyle?.html

^_^
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's one thing when we've seen these celebrities before at a certain weight for a long time, then it suddenly drops drastically, like Angelina Jolie. Her extreme weight loss started around the time her mother fell ill with cancer, making me think it was stress. This can be a cause for concern for their health, but definitely not shaming.

But some of these people were just born that way, like Keira Knightly. And it's ridiculous to call them anything.

Although I agree with you for the most part, 'born that way' doesn't mean she can't change it. Just like an overweight person can.
  • EGSanz225
    Options
    Some people are just naturally skinny. Keira Knightly was always small. The media will always be *****ing about weight, like they can't find something else to write about...:sick:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Want the body shaming to stop????? Stop buying the stupid magazines! If all of us just stopped buying the magazines that call out every celebrity for being too fat or too thin, this whole thing would stop. God forbid they might have to actually write something of substance rather than trash articles about who looks like **** or is fabulous. Well, I guess the Kardashians would be might fall off the face of the planet but who cares.....stop buying them! Now that I have a little girl, I will not buy any of this crap. I also am doing my best to not rub my insecurities off on my daughter.

that's great intentions, only there is still the internet and people like gossip, so too many will still subscribe either online or snail mail...