Weight Lifting and gaining inches in my hips :(

Options
13»

Replies

• bonedaddyds
    bonedaddyds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's likely measuring inconsistencies.

Is your weight changing? What about other measurements?

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up

Doubtful ^^^ It is extremely hard to gain 5 lbs of pure muscle mass, especially for females.

Yeah, I don't think it's muscle. If it were I wouldn't be having a problemo here haha
  • ChiManLifts
    Options
    Could be noob gains, though 5 pounds for a female is pretty extreme so I doubt it.

If you're accurately measuring your food and are at a deficit..My bet is water retention in the muscles, which comes along with starting any new training program.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up - however I know my inches should be going down.

My waist measurement has gone up about 1/2 an inch but everything else has stayed the same. As stated above I always measure right through the midline of the tattoo I have on my hips so unfortunately not an a measuring inconsistency :( I've always had a really difficult time moving weight on my body and it is frustrating.

I do drink about once a month (vodka - either on its own or with a calorie free mixer) maybe twice max...but I'm on point with my diet every other day of the month other than that so I never thought it could be THAT BAD, yknow? Am I wrong? ...I know there are people who are in great shape and can still have some drinks but maybe my body is just that stubborn?

If drinking once a month made one's butt get bigger, my *kitten* would engulf Manhattan and the tri-state area by now.

If your measurements and weight are going up, something is off about your intake. I assume the clothes are fitting differently, too? Tighter?

Shorts are definitely tighter! Because I started lifting I was just fitting into a size 4 but depending on brand some 6s. Everything is all tight now and its frustrating for sure! I'm glad to know that the one or two nights a month I decide to let loose probably isn't the cause for the gain though! Everyone needs to have fun every now and then.

I'm pretty good with eating a "boring" diet and on most days I eat

Breakfast - protein shake (230)
    Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Lunch - tuna, veggies, egg, pecans (400ish depending on veggies)
    Snack - Jerky (120)
    Dinner - baked chicken, sweet potato, veggie (300ish depending on veggies)
    Snack - apple and pb (175)

I love all those foods and know they're good for me and really like to monitor my macros and make sure I'm getting 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle I have. I just wanna figure out what I'm doing wrong so i can correct it, haha!

I'll say it again...
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much. And that's why your measurements are going up.

You're eating too much.

I have to say I agree. It would be one thing if your weight just wasn't changing, but it is hard to gain both inches and pounds while eating at a deficit. One might say impossible, unless you have elephantiasis or something.

Please consider having your intake evaluated by the folks running this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Though a word of warning: they will ask you to unlock your diary, and they will not care how clean or boring your diet is.

Ah, seems very interesting! Definitely going to be checking it out! Thanks so much!

Nevermind, if they cannot look at your diary, they won't be able to help you. But read the stickies there, anyway.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    well maybe for you it don't make sense but our bodies are all different and found that if I get my protein from whole foods instead of powders I lost what I gained and then some. So yes it makes sense....foods affect ppl in different ways

No. Protein powder does not have magic protein in it that causes some people to gain weight and not others. If you are gaining weight, it's because you're over-consuming CALORIES, not because you're drinking protein shakes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You said you measure everything....what are you measuring with? Food scale? Even your PB? Also, is it nearing that time of the month?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up - however I know my inches should be going down.

My waist measurement has gone up about 1/2 an inch but everything else has stayed the same. As stated above I always measure right through the midline of the tattoo I have on my hips so unfortunately not an a measuring inconsistency :( I've always had a really difficult time moving weight on my body and it is frustrating.

I do drink about once a month (vodka - either on its own or with a calorie free mixer) maybe twice max...but I'm on point with my diet every other day of the month other than that so I never thought it could be THAT BAD, yknow? Am I wrong? ...I know there are people who are in great shape and can still have some drinks but maybe my body is just that stubborn?

If drinking once a month made one's butt get bigger, my *kitten* would engulf Manhattan and the tri-state area by now.

If your measurements and weight are going up, something is off about your intake. I assume the clothes are fitting differently, too? Tighter?

Shorts are definitely tighter! Because I started lifting I was just fitting into a size 4 but depending on brand some 6s. Everything is all tight now and its frustrating for sure! I'm glad to know that the one or two nights a month I decide to let loose probably isn't the cause for the gain though! Everyone needs to have fun every now and then.

I'm pretty good with eating a "boring" diet and on most days I eat

Breakfast - protein shake (230)
    Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Lunch - tuna, veggies, egg, pecans (400ish depending on veggies)
    Snack - Jerky (120)
    Dinner - baked chicken, sweet potato, veggie (300ish depending on veggies)
    Snack - apple and pb (175)

I love all those foods and know they're good for me and really like to monitor my macros and make sure I'm getting 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle I have. I just wanna figure out what I'm doing wrong so i can correct it, haha!

I'll say it again...
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much. And that's why your measurements are going up.

You're eating too much.

I have to say I agree. It would be one thing if your weight just wasn't changing, but it is hard to gain both inches and pounds while eating at a deficit. One might say impossible, unless you have elephantiasis or something.

Please consider having your intake evaluated by the folks running this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Though a word of warning: they will ask you to unlock your diary, and they will not care how clean or boring your diet is.

I'll second this. I am new around here, but I have been lurking in that group the past couple of days. Sarauk2sf and SideSteel and their supporting cast know their stuff. I would pop in over there for guidance.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what are you considering heavy lifting? What do you squat and deadlift?
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you have some fat to lose (as most of us do hence why we are here) and lifting weights without losing fat, then your muscles will get bigger under the fat.

I think some people (has be be mostly men) lift weights to get a bigger appearance and some lift to get leaner. There is a science behind each one, really.

I would consult with a trainer about how, when, and what to eat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    1. Don't base your measurements on an exact spot, like your tattoo. You need to pick the largest width around and always take it at the largest point. As your body changes, things can move so your hip measurement is always at the largest width wherever that is.

2. There must be an error in your diet somewhere.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Did the weight jump up one day or has it been gradually increasing?

Water retention can be a huge issue for us ladies, and perhaps that is all you are experiencing and it will work itself out if you drink a lot of water and maybe cut caffeine if you haven't already. It could be a combination.

I second the person who asked if it was getting close to that "time" of the month :) I bloat up like crazy but then it's gone.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up

Doubtful ^^^ It is extremely hard to gain 5 lbs of pure muscle mass, especially for females.

I agree that 5lbs of muscle is impossible, but 3-5lbs of muscle swelling (fluid retention) is totally possible for new lifters, and can last a long time at the beginning.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What have your weight and your measurements done in the last month?

Edited to fix typo.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just to throw this in there- hips don't get bigger... they are bones- and without some sort of fantastical new surgery- they aren't going to get bigger.

So you either are putting on fat or muscle (or both).

And you are probably eating to much- I'd double/triple check your diet- and rerun you TDEE numbers- and maybe double/triple check your workout numbers if you are eating back calories- I always aim a little low on those- overestimating my workouts really would screw me up me thinks.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I agree that 5lbs of muscle is impossible, but 3-5lbs of muscle swelling (fluid retention) is totally possible for new lifters, and can last a long time at the beginning.
    This, unless you're not being as accurate as you think. How long have you been going up in weight? How are you logging your exercise and how much of that are you eating back?

I lifted, gained a few inches in places depending on where I lift, as well as a few water repairin' pounds (um, that's not muscle I'm gaining on a deficit, google glycogen). That would last less then a week, then that and more would drop off and it would repeat. And I got slimmer and firmer and hotter and hotter and a whole lot tinnier then I was last time at this weight...Booya.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to find out if your hips lie or not
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Been there....It's not your hips...your rear, that's getting shapely...it's not a bad thing, it's just perking up.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Been there....It's not your hips...your rear, that's getting shapely...it's not a bad thing, it's just perking up.
    That's a good point. As your *kitten* moves up in the world it will measure larger in places it previously wasn't. Observe my *kitten* at approximately the same weight (cardio vs lifting):

photo.jpg+ exposure turned up =
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    Notice how my droopy butt that once use to fold over onto my leg, no longer touches my leg.