At the bottom right now.

Options
2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You're not being foolish or stupid, and the only reason you're being illogical is because you think that :wink:

I know amputation sounds like...well...bad. And hopefully you'll never have to have it done. My fingers are crossed for you, because no matter what gets done the now and immediately after is a rough road to be in, particularly since the mind well play tricks on people. But in the hopes that it may put your mind at ease, I know several people who have had various parts removed for various reasons (sometimes by themselves, woops). I talked to one of them a lot before she got it done and there was a sense of how well I ever cope and this is terrifying what well I do and a lot of crying as if she's useless and losing herself etc. Then she probably felt worse because naturally she noticed everyone wanted to help her and couldn't, she was still stuck in that situation. And now...she is back to herself being a even more fine, strong minded woman, and her beauty shines through for it more then before. I wouldn't say she's 'coping' at all like she thought she had to, she's had no complications and can do a lot more then she initially imagined which she's happy with, looking at things like a challenge instead of a wall. And the rest of my friends are doing great too. One of them is a crazy lady in her 60s who does long hikes regularly minus a leg. She's nut bars and in better shape then people more then half her age!

As far as diet goes...I'd ask the doctors instead of the forum, that could lead you to a very bad place, including my advice. But my initial thoughts are: frig diet if your body is trying to deal with something, it may need to fuel. But try not to fuel emotional eating. Eat HEALTHY, get as many nutrients as you can, get enough fat to absorb those nutrients, get adequate protein and some carbs. Eat a balance diet with a variety of foods. Move if that's ok. Live a healthy lifestyle. Take up a hobby that puts your mind at ease and gets it off of this.
  • JeannetteLassell
    Options
    We are all behind you...remember we wish we could battle this with you.
  • rosielko
    rosielko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you..please try to stay strong..we will all be praying for you. Please let us know what we can do to help you through this...
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    wow ... and i thought i had a bad day ... i've been sitting here, having a pity party for myself ... shame on me ...

so, i don't know that i have anything really awesome to say to help you, though i really wish i did ... i will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers ...

but, i did want to share this ... i read this story a long time ago, and i just think it is amazing ...

"Jerry is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good mood and always has something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I would be twins!" He was a unique manager because he had several waiters who had followed him around from restaurant to restaurant. The reason the waiters followed Jerry was because of his attitude. He was a natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad day, Jerry was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.

Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to Jerry and asked him, I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?" Jerry replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, Jerry, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood. Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it. Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life. "Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested. "Yes it is," Jerry said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people will affect your mood. You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live life."

I reflected on what Jerry said. Soon thereafter, I left the restaurant industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that Jerry did something you are never supposed to do in a restaurant business: he left the back door open one morning and was held up at gunpoint by three armed robbers. While trying to open the safe, his hand, shaking from nervousness, slipped off the combination. The robbers panicked and shot him. Luckily, Jerry was found relatively quickly and rushed to the local trauma center.

After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Jerry was released from the hospital with fragments of the bullets still in his body. I saw Jerry about six months after the accident. When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were any better, I'd be twins. Wanna see my scars?" I declined to see his wounds, but did ask him what had gone through his mind as the robbery took place. "the first thing that went through my mind was that I should have locked the back door," Jerry replied. "Then, as I lay on the floor, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or I could choose to die. I chose to live."

"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked.

Jerry continued, "...The paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a deadman'. I knew I needed to take action." "What did you do?" I asked. "Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said Jerry. "She asked if I was allergic to anything. 'Yes' I replied. The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Bullets!' Over their laughter, I told them, 'I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead'." Jerry lived thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully. Attitude, after all, is everything."

even though life sometimes sucks, and deals us a hand that we don't want, we all have a choice ... i choose to live ... not just survive anymore, but LIVE!! i want to live life to the fullest, each and everyday ... you said the same thing ... times may get hard, but you will ALWAYS have the CHOICE!!

i will do anything i can for ya ... praying for you!!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I know you have a tough fight ahead of you. You have already demonstrated you have courage & fortitude in posting this. I have had close family members deal with a cancer diagnosis. I had my own cancer scare last year. Certainly try to keep faith & find inner strength.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OP reading your post gave me the chills. A true emotional reaction. I hope things go the best that they can for you. I also hope you get what you want out of treatment, life and this site. I think you are on the right track to making the most of things. I don't have any personal experience with that but it has occured in my family and it's such a hard thing to go through. Just know you are being thought of in a positive way and someone out here who doesn't even know you is wishing the best for you based off of one single post and the opening of yourself even this tiny little bit. :flowerforyou:
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know a few things about people who have cancer (some family members have had lung, breast and stomach cancer). What I can say is that this will bring out the fighter in you. There is nothing to be apologetic about. Fight against this cancer, whether through radiation, prayer, exercise, chemo treatments or a combination. Fight back. We are all here for you. I am a great listener if you ever want to talk.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    That has to be one of the hardest things to face. Let people help you ask your medical team all the questions you can. There are some amazing surgeons and technologies available. Get the support you need. I am happy to help if I can
  • Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I posted this and then ran away. One of my friends, more than one, told me to come back and read it.

I am overwhelmed with a lot right now, and I appreciate all the kindness that I'm not sure I really even deserve.

I dont really know what to think or feel. I guess I am just mostly numb and in shock.

thank you all.
  • McCrabby
    McCrabby Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're being incredibly brave by stepping out of your comfort zone, and sharing something that is probably more than just a little scary to you. I can't see anyone criticizing that.

Wishing you continued courage, strength, and an abundance of support. I imagine you're going to see a wealth of support here.
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    GOD HEALED MY MOCK OF BREAST CANCER IN BOTH HER BREAST. HE CAN DO THE SAME FOR YOU. KEEP PRAYING
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ugh.

Hope everything works out for the best for you.

:flowerforyou:
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    MY MOM! NOT MOCK!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I doubt you'll find any ridicule here. So many have had to deal with this horrible disease, either for themselves or their friends and family. Shock is normal. But don't be afraid to reach out. Be open, and ask for the support you need. People will surprise you. They will help pick you up in the low moments, and cheer on your good ones. Even in trials like this, you will find that your quest for a better life can continue in some way, and you can become stronger and happier.

:flowerforyou:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Sending you a long distance hug. I wish you the best treatment and personal support. Remember you and your life are bigger and wider than the illness. They've made a lot of advancements with cancer treatments. I fully believe they will find a permanent cure the way they have for other illnesses.... they get closer and closer every year. Best wishes.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just want to give you a hug
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    no hazing here, just support prayers and our sympathy. hang in there.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    No hazing from me either. You have a tough road ahead of you, i don't know you, but from your post, i think you will face this head on and fight it damn hard. I admire your strength and courage for putting the post out there. Anyone that is critica, needs to look inwards, their criticism is THEIR problem, not yours. ((HUGS)) to you, i will be keeping you in my thoughts.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You have our unlimited prayers, support, and sympathy. Cancer survivors in my life are some of the strongest people I know and they are tremendous sources of inspiration to me! You can beat this! To paraphrase John Paul Jones, "You have not yet begun to fight!" Be strong and fight the good fight. We're here for you.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Do what you need to do! You deserve to be the hero of your own story. Best wishes to you.