800-1,000 cal BURN

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm a distance runner. I also have a weirdly high heart rate when I'm exercising, so I can easily burn 1000 calories going for a 6 mile run. You should see what I burn when I do a half marathon.. It's kind of ridiculous.

People burn calories differently because there are so many variables. Weight, heart rate, overall fitness level, height.. Those all affect caloric burn.

Not to mention, MFP lumps them all together, so there are days when I can burn 800 total from several different activities, but it looks like I burned it all at one time.

Same here, when running, my heart rate remains around 87-94% of my max, depending on hills, and pretty close to that on the elliptical too.
  • JohnMatrix
    Options
    I can burn that over the course of an hour and a half plus (even taking out 25% of "number" I see) to be safe, but not in an hour. That's some Serious working out. Props to anyone who does it.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    After reading all of the comments....it's clear that many smaller weighted people have difficulty having a big burn session. People that are heavier and over 200 and 300 lbs naturally burn more. Just like someone who is 140 lbs may find it impossible to lose 8 lbs in a week, whereas a bigger person like myself have experienced that quite a few times. Just because YOU may not be able to burn that much in a workout...doesn't mean it's impossible. I wish I was small enough to have that problem.

People who are leaner, burn more calories actually, as far as my knowledge extends :) - you are not burning 1000 calories in 1 hour.

I am over 400 lbs. A 1hr cardio activity does it for me. Like I said, I wish I was smaller. But I will keep doing this until I reach my goal. No need to lie about it. Ever watched biggest Loser? Heavier people can lose up to 20 lbs in a week whereas a smaller person can barely drop 4 lbs. I thought this was common knowledge.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    After reading all of the comments....it's clear that many smaller weighted people have difficulty having a big burn session. People that are heavier and over 200 and 300 lbs naturally burn more. Just like someone who is 140 lbs may find it impossible to lose 8 lbs in a week, whereas a bigger person like myself have experienced that quite a few times. Just because YOU may not be able to burn that much in a workout...doesn't mean it's impossible. I wish I was small enough to have that problem.

I've heard it argued both ways. I've heard people say that bigger people burn more because they're moving more weight (and this works for TDEE so it may be the correct argument) and I've heard people say that smaller people burn more because they can be a lot more intense.

ETA: I don't actually know which is more likely to be true, just saying it gets told both ways

Yeah same here. I look at it like: If you had to move 200lbs for 30 mins....or move 400lbs for 30 mins which one would cause more of your energy to burn?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I've heard it argued both ways. I've heard people say that bigger people burn more because they're moving more weight (and this works for TDEE so it may be the correct argument) and I've heard people say that smaller people burn more because they can be a lot more intense.

ETA: I don't actually know which is more likely to be true, just saying it gets told both ways

It's sort of true for both.
    Calories burned is based on weight x intensity so both apply.

It is possible burn 800-1000 calories in an hour, however you would have to be heavier or work at a high intensity.

The average burn for running is roughly 100 calories per mile. It tends to be lower for women (who weigh less on average), closer to 80-90 calories and a little higher for men, 110-120 calories per mile.

8-10 miles in an hour is a pretty hard pace.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I burn over 1000 a lot of times... I wondered if it was an overestimate but I recently got a heart rate monitor and it was pretty spot on. Today I did 90mins on the elliptical, 2hrs SUP, 50mins running and burned 1729cal. I obviously spend a lot of time exercising tho so that's partly how I burn so many calories
  • ALekaeHay
    ALekaeHay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the MFP calculations are grossly inflated. It calculated that I burned over 1,100 cals. mowing grass for two hours. Honestly, maybe I did since our entire yard takes at least five hours to mow, it's all at an incline (1/2 much more "hilly" than the rest), and is all push mowed. I decided to trust about 450 cals. burned instead. I figure it's better to underestimate than over.

I have a HRM now (with weight, height, and age programmed) and during my last Insanity workout burned 553 calories in 40 minutes. I could see how people could burn 1,000+ in a day but wouldn't trust MFP calculations.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I burn around 2000 just sitting around doing nothing. *shrug* :happy:
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options

How true ! ! !
    I am very small and light. For a burn of at least 300 calories, I need to exercise almost 3 hours. I space it through out the day. And then I realized it is not sustainable in the long run.
    Now I try to aim for a burn between 100-200 daily for cardiovascular health.
    The only time I was burning more than 500 is when my housekeeper was away. I used to do all the normal household chores ( I don't do that usually) along with my exercise.
    And I had lost 1 kg in about 10 days.:smile:
    I regained it after my housekeeper was back.:laugh:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I've seen more than 1000 sometimes. Idk how these people do it, it really is astonishing. I've got what food to eat down pat. And I put in an effort to sweat 6 days a wk. my burns are between 162-360. I've tried to do a 1000 cal burn workout and I couldn't!! Like damn what are you people on!? Lol

What's up with that?

Depends on what the person was doing, weight, height, length, ect

The only time I had a 1000 calories added in my exercise diary was:

MFP was set to sedentary
    Fitbit adjustment for 1000 calories

I went to the zoo with my husband and son. Walked to every exhibit. Didn't ride the train or anything like that. After that we went to a state park for a picnic followed by a 3 mile walk on one of the trails in the park. So I pretty much spent the whole day moving. It definitely wasn't achieved in an hour or less though.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i use to burn 1000 doing an advanced step class but i dont get that burn anymore and I am heavy lol But I am slower now.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    MFP says I burned 820 calories today. I use a Fitbit, so the number is just a lump sum "calorie adjustment" -- the difference between my "sedentary burn" and what the Fitbit says I burned.

Over the course of today, according to the Fitbit, I walked 11 miles (actually, a few of those miles were jogging) and climbed 105 flights of stairs (yay 100 flights daily badge!!!). My highest "calorie adjustment" burn is 918, from a day on which I walked over 17 miles. That took pretty much all day.

According to my HRM with custom zones, I burn 10-12 calories a minute on the adaptive motion trainer -- an 800-1000 calorie burn in one workout is a possibility there, although the most I've done is around 600 calories.

Weight is a big, big factor in burn rates, of course. But my BMI is between 21 and 22, so it's not just "heavy" people.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

People who are leaner, burn more calories actually, as far as my knowledge extends :) - you are not burning 1000 calories in 1 hour.

And where are your sources for that? I use a polar ft60, which does a personal fitness test including using height, weight, age and VO2Max and I have burned over 1000 calories in an hour in the past.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Per my HRM I burnt 959 calories today from 112 minutes of spin + running. Its possible.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

And where are your sources for that? I use a polar ft60, which does a personal fitness test including using height, weight, age and VO2Max and I have burned over 1000 calories in an hour in the past.

I should have said "As far as I remember" rather than what I said.

I kinda meant a lean, MUSCULAR person so yeah, I've done goofed, but i still dont think many people that are unfit/overweight are going to actually burn 1000 calories (i don't care what a HRM/device says)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'd never believe what my HRM tells me as far as calorie burn. It told me I burned 600cals walking for 45 minutes.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I probably do that 4 or 5 times a week. But I train for longer distance events such as Olympic tris, half marathon and up and go to the gym on top of that.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well I used to burn close to that with Insanity when I started but more you lose weight and better your cardio becomes..less you burn lol.... that's the problem!

I still burn over 1000 cal twice a week but............. I do many things for that....It's not in ONE workout. it's also in over 2-3 hours of hard training.

HRM need to have a chest strap and have no preset levels....this is crap! I can set mine to have the levels of my hearbeat so....more i push..more my level go up and i burn more but if i'm laying down...i burn almost freakin' nothing....

So many device and bad hrm are giving bad fake results..... beware of that.
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It takes me 2 hours of very high impact aerobics to burn over 1K calories, but I only succeed at this once a week (Saturdays)... I use a Polar HRM and a Fitbit to keep me honest.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I should have said "As far as I remember" rather than what I said.

I kinda meant a lean, MUSCULAR person so yeah, I've done goofed, but i still dont think many people that are unfit/overweight are going to actually burn 1000 calories (i don't care what a HRM/device says)

Some good threads to read on this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

As noted in one, things like walking are fairly predictable. A 300 lb person burns roughly 11 calories a minute walking at a moderate pace, that's approximately 666 calories in an hour. If they upped the intensity for even part of that time they could easily get close to 1000.

And I'm not relying on HRM info. I'm usually the one pointing out how inaccurate they can be.

Calories burned = weight x intensity.