800-1,000 cal BURN

Options

Replies

• irakrishna1
    irakrishna1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    azdak Nicely put! :) About HRM I agree with you. Here is an interesting article about this. http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm a tiny thing at 5'3/110lb, so I don't really burn any big numbers.

Yesterday for me:

Barbell workout, 45 min, avg HR 124, max HR 153,
    cals burned:
    according to Polar 474
    according to MFP (Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 113

Insanity PlyoCardio, 42 min, avg HR 150, max HR 171,
    cals burned:
    according to Polar 568
    according to MFP (Circuit training, general) 269

Kick boxing (calisthenics, bag, shadow), 60 min, avg HR 140, max HR 168,
    cals burned
    according to Polar 722
    according to MFP (Judo, karate, kick boxing, tae kwan do) 517

So Polar HRM (Wearlink+ with android apps) estimated my calories burnt as 1764 for 147 minutes of work (in two sessions, weight + Insanity back to back, gym 6 hours later). MFP gave me 899 for the same job done. I went with MPF, I think HRMs vastly overestimate calories burnt.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I regularly burn between 800 and 1000 calories (according to my HRM) which estimates my calorie burn 1/2 to 1/3 of MFP and 2/3 of cardio machine estimations.

My routine is a mix of very intense cardio and less intense cardio.
    Typically it involves walking to and from the city to the gym. In the gym I either do an RPM class (anywhere between 500-800 burn depending on my enthusiasm), or a cardio routine using the treadmill (very fast walking on a slope), eliptical trainer (adjusting the level incrementally to raise my heart rate), stationary rowing machine at max level, and on a stationary bike for interval training (cycling heart rate between 75 percent HRMax and 90 percent HRMax. Typically, I spend 20 min on treadmill, 20-30min eliptical trainer, 30-45min rowing machine, stationary bike:30-45min.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If I spend an hour on the elliptical I burn around 800 calories then spending some time on the treadmill can burn 200 in 30 depending on speed and incline.... Not to mention weights and other equipment used... If I spend an hour and a have at the gym, depending on what I do, I can burn 1000 cals easy
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Smaller people burn less for the same intensity and duration compared to a bigger person. However, I can see someone thinking that a leaner person would burn more. Most bigger people would have a harder time sustain the intensity and duration of my runs. Hence they would probably stop after 20 mins and hence burn less compared to me sustaining the run for 90 minutes. If they are able to keep up however, their calorie burn would blow mine away. I have a friend of mine that weighs about 50 IBS more than I do. We ran the same half. I finished approximately an hour before her doing 7 minute miles. She did about 9 - 10 minute miles. I burn about 1200 cals while she burn 1700. If she was able to sustain my speed she would have more than doubled my calorie burn for the half.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a tiny thing at 5'3/110lb, so I don't really burn any big numbers.

Yesterday for me:

Barbell workout, 45 min, avg HR 124, max HR 153,
    cals burned:
    according to Polar 474
    according to MFP (Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 113

Insanity PlyoCardio, 42 min, avg HR 150, max HR 171,
    cals burned:
    according to Polar 568
    according to MFP (Circuit training, general) 269

Kick boxing (calisthenics, bag, shadow), 60 min, avg HR 140, max HR 168,
    cals burned
    according to Polar 722
    according to MFP (Judo, karate, kick boxing, tae kwan do) 517

So Polar HRM (Wearlink+ with android apps) estimated my calories burnt as 1764 for 147 minutes of work (in two sessions, weight + Insanity back to back, gym 6 hours later). MFP gave me 899 for the same job done. I went with MPF, I think HRMs vastly overestimate calories burnt.

HRMs are not accurate for strength training, you will get an inflated number. They are designed for steady state cardio, so intervals will also affect accuracy. I linked a couple of great posts by Azdak on the last page that explain this well.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    People seem to forget it's proportional, At present I burn around 800 calories on an hour run and near 1000 on an hour intensive swim. When I was 80 pounds heavier I was burning a few hundred more than that in the same period at that intensity. The burn is proportional to my body weight. Those that are saying its impossible because they only burn 100 calories and weigh a lot less than me should think that proportionately they will burn a similar percentage in relation to body mass and intensity,

So yes you need to be careful about these figures because even via HRM they are an estimate, I though believe my figures are reasonably accurate though I never eat more than a third of my exercise calories back (normally a lot less). If you believe my figures are correct or not I couldn't really care less 84 pounds says what I'm doing is working. Maybe worry about what you are doing more than what others are
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    HRM: Garming forerunner 310XT
    Workout: Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred, which is really 27 minutes of proper exercise, not 30.
    Min heartrate:85, max: 178.

Accidentally, I had it set to the wrong user profile; according to the profile I was male, 8 years younger than I really am and 25kg heavier (89kg = 196lbs =14 stone 2lbs).
    It had me burn 387 calories. That would make 860 per hour.
    The heart rate of the real person who has that profile doesn't go as high.

When I have it set to my correct profile (65kg = 143 lbs =10 stone 3.3 lbs) it only estimated my burn to be 233 calories. So as a smaller person I burn only 517 per hour. :-/ ;-)
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate for strength training, you will get an inflated number. They are designed for steady state cardio, so intervals will also affect accuracy. I linked a couple of great posts by Azdak on the last page that explain this well.

I agree, that's why I go with MFP for estimation on calories burnt. I use HRM for weight training, but only to make sure my HR stays low, as I use NO boosters and don't want to damage my heart.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just got home from a 60 minute spinning class and burnt close to 500kcals. There's no way I could do it again today. I have been able to burn at a 600kcals/hour rate, but that was when I was in better shape and even then I couldn't keep up with that pace for more than an hour.

A different thing is, my work (part-time a couple of times a week, which is why I log it as excercise instead of putting it on my fitness profile) involves lots of lifting boxes and walking, and it's not unusual for me to burn more than 800 during an 8-hour shift of walking around and lifting 50lb boxes. However, I wouldn't call it excercise, I just log it as such to get a correct calorie count.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There's so many variations out there I suppose it's difficult to be 100% accurate. Personally myself I have to rely on MFP info/database as I don't have my own gadget!... I do an hours swim and MFP will log that at 700+ calories burned, later in the day I may go for a bike ride with my son and take the dog out and once I add these extra activities it will hit 1000 etc...

Truth is regardless of whether these figures are correct, if you use the same tool to track your calories burned at least you can monitor your progress, and at the end of the day if your losing weight then something's working for you....and if not you can make the necessary adjustments.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Most I've burned according to my HRM is 700ish from 1hr 20mins cycling, though I knocked it down to around 500 when I logged to account for any error/inaccuracy.
    No doubt I could hit the 1000 cal mark if I stayed on my bike long enough, I don't really need to though and don't really want to either. I'd have to get to 1200 burned on the HRM before I would think about logging 1000 burned on here.

Had my HRM for about a month now and I'm still losing at a rate I would expect so I'm pretty confident I'm logging accurately.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I burned 1000 calories today!!! First time ever!!!!!

60 min Body Attack high intensity class
    40 min fast paced walking
    75 min strength & weight training

So basically took 3 HOURS all in one go! Crazy= yes. I've never done this before though.

I usually burn between 300-700 depending on what I do & my intensity levels whilst doing it (on average 400-500cals)
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There is no way anyone is burning 800-1000 calories in an hour, I don't care if you run at 300 mph for an entire hour, it isn't happening and I don't care what your little HRM says :D

Scientific references or is this personal opinion? I personally don't trust what MFP says I burn when I input an exercise I feel it is inflated. For example, I ran 5.5 miles last night at a nice slow pace of 11 min mile. MFP says I burned over 900 cals. Is there a formula I don't know about so I can calculate my calorie burn for myself. Of course even with this formula, it will still be a guess.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There is no way anyone is burning 800-1000 calories in an hour, I don't care if you run at 300 mph for an entire hour, it isn't happening and I don't care what your little HRM says :D

Scientific references or is this personal opinion? I personally don't trust what MFP says I burn when I input an exercise I feel it is inflated. For example, I ran 5.5 miles last night at a nice slow pace of 11 min mile. MFP says I burned over 900 cals. Is there a formula I don't know about so I can calculate my calorie burn for myself. Of course even with this formula, it will still be a guess.

EDIT, Never mind, I did my own research.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Great thinking.....If I can't burn 1000 calories then nobody can.

There is absolutely no proof of how many calories are burned for each person unless they are hooked up to a machine. When I weighed over 200 pounds and ran, well almost jogged for an hour, I would burn just over 1200 calories. It was hard and my breathing was heavy but I did it to burn calories. Now that I'm 157 pounds, I only burn about 700 calories running at 6.2 mph for an hour. My RHR has dropped to 46 over this past year due to all the running. I have to work harder and harder now to get my heart rate up.

I use a Suunto Ambit2, up from a Polar RCX5 w/GPS. I burn about 200 calories less than my Polar gave me but with the Polars, most have a fit test and if you just agree to all changes after, it will alter your max heart rate. Do not change your max heart rate or it will give you very inflated calorie burns.

I went walking today, was walking at 4.5 mph pushing jogging buggy and carrying groceries on my back on the way back home. I was walking fast to keep up with my child on a scooter. My heart rate never went over 110 and I got a calorie burn of 413 for 129 mins. About 20 mins of that was constant moving in the store and about 10mins checkout. For that same walk with my Polar, I would have been given over 600!

We are all different and nobody here can say how many calories one is burning. I get its all an estimation but I don't eat most of my exercise calories back anyway.

And one thing to remember, your body gets efficient at doing the same exercise and will burn less so burning low calories for a runner is common. I bet if you upped your pace, you would burn more.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There's this website I ABSOLUTELY LOVE called fitnessblender and they have these 1000 calorie workout videos. I've done it a couple of times. I find it both challenging, dreadful and fun. I would not suggest it for beginners (nearly killed me!)

Just be forewarned--there is NO WAY those workouts burn 1000 calories. I looked closely at some of the workouts a few weeks ago and they are in the 600-700 range at best.

That's not a criticism of the workouts themselves--they were fine as far as the quality of the movements, structure of the workout, etc. But the calorie numbers are as inflated as anything I have ever seen.
  • jeannie0312
    jeannie0312 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try Zumba. Do you take classes or do it at home?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So the calculations are incorrect on treadmills and what not? When i started at 250lbs, i can put the treadmil at 15% incline, set the speed to 4.0MPH & i would hit 1000 around 42 mins. If i could hang in for the last 18 mins, it would be around 1300-1400 calories in that 1 hour.

If you can input weight, and the treadmill is a decent commercial one (e.g. Life Fitness, Precor, etc), then the calorie counts will be pretty accurate.

But only if you do not hold on to the handrails.

At the speed/elevation combo you described, handrail support will result in an overestimation of calories burned by 40%-60%. Even folks in excellent aerobic condition would have trouble sustaining that effort for more than 2-5 min w/out handrail support.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    People who are burning 1,000 calories per day with exercise are usually overestimating their burn. Most likely they're using a database and inputting an intensity level that they're not really at...they just think they are because they're out of shape. It's really, really, really hard to burn more than about 10 calories per minute...and that's working it and not really sustainable with long sessions of steady state cardio.