I need some advice about my mum

Options
2»

Replies

• DMJS
    DMJS Posts: 46
    Options
    I work in a pharmacy and just had a patient go from the pills to insulin. NOT fun. Now he is trapped to a cooler or staying at home so he can keep his insulin cold. I am reading the South Beach Diet and it is written by a doctor. He has testimonials about multiple people following this and getting off of all meds. It is worth a look see. OH, and the best part ... all you have to do is change how you eat. She wont be hungry and she doesn't have to exercise if she doesn't want too. Of course it would be better if she did. How about asking her to join you in some activity. She may not even know she is exercising. ;)
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    BUMP
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Write out your concerns in a letter, attach copies of studies, etc., give it to her, then BE DONE WITH IT. Your mom's an adult, and she's choosing to respond to her health situation in a way that is clearly detrimental to her.

Do you need to keep reminding her? Nope.

Does she appreciate all your nagging? Nope.

Is it hard to watch her self destruct? Yep.

Anything you can do to change it? Nope.

Just love your mom and help her out when she ASKS for help. You're going to damage the relationship if you keep pushing, despite your good intentions.

My dad has cancer (two kinds, actually), and won't do anything I've asked him to do to help him along. I had to accept that. I love my dad. I hate his choices. But I love my dad. And I don't want to spend the rest of his life nagging at him and making him feel guilty.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    How rotten as it might be: most people wake up when it is (almost) too late already and can be pleased they get a second chance. I feel sorry for you, but the only person who truly can help your mum is your mum! All you can do is keep talking and tell her why you want her to change her mind (like you love her and want her to be around as long as possible, see grand kids grow up, etc etc), as long as you don't push it too much.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies :)

My mum's told me that she is seeing the nurse at the doctor on Monday. I'll go along with her and going to walk there and back lol. It's a 10min walk, so shouldn't be too difficult. I hope.

I understand that life is difficult and we all deal with stress differently. But for her to choose an all butter croissant over porridge is really frightening.

I will definitely give another talk to my mum and hopefully the nurse will make her open her eyes a bit more about what she is doing to herself.

Thanks again for replying and to those sharing their stories. It makes me feel reassured that I'm not the only one, and I hope you all stay strong through these tough times too!