Recovery after massive cheat...anyone???

Options
13»

Replies

• sdokeefe
    sdokeefe Posts: 29
    Options
    Do a high calorie turd tomorrow and carry on as normal.
  • danibodani
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up girl, just learn from it and remember how you feel and you won't binge like that again.

I don't deny myself something I love. I like you, also love chocolate so I bought a bar of the Cadbury dark burnt almond, split it into bags of 3 squares. So when I am craving some chocolate I reach for that little baggy and it satisfies my craving and I have only consumed 80cals instead of *insert what ever # here* if I had restricted myself and then binged. I also make up measured out chips (crisps for you UK people) and popcorn into baggys. Helps me to keep on track when I fancy a treat.

Don't be sad, you're still killing this journey...
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm a major chocolate lover too - what I do is allow myself a little bit every day - like a fun size candy bar or a couple of Hershey Kisses. It satisfies my craving enough that I don't binge.

But don't beat yourself up - just pick up and move on and continue healthy eating. We've all had those binge moments.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating, it's eating. You don't need to "recover" or atone for this. Just carry on as normal. Fasting for a day because you ate too much chocolate only sets you up for a really bad relationship with food where you alternate between over-eating and punishing yourself for it. You haven't failed, you just ate a bit more than you intended to. Carry on as you were. Your success doesn't rest on what you eat on isolated days, it's all about how you eat on a daily basis. If you are prone to eating more than you intend to, then look at ways of preventing that happening in the future.

You said one of the BEST things I've heard all day.

the OP is the 2nd post here on MFP, and I just woke up :) to say that their diet is making them sick.

What is going on with people on diets making their bodies sick??????????????

I think people ought to rethink their diet and just eat a variety of good foods.. eff these stupid strict diets that eff up people's health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't quite think she's saying that her diet is making her body sick. I'm thinking she's saying that after all the candy (chocolate) from last night, she's not feeling well. Which can make sense, especially if your body isn't used to eating a large amount of the stuff.

ok that may be true.. i just reacted to like the 2nd post i read and someone's sick.. makes me think about this strict dieting and what it could do. but maybe im wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I'm a massive chocolate lover. I ate a entire block of cadbury black forest chocolate. I haven't cheated on my diet in 2 weeks (1500 calories a day + 300calories burnt off on most days). I feel really sick. Can someone please tell me how to recover after a massive cheat like this? Do I have to fast the next day?
    One day doesn't have enough impact to change the body. That's like saying one day of exercising will change how you look.
    Just carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Just FYI last night I ate two ice cream sandwiches like this after midnight right before going to bed. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRItgKKnTrfkG0VyO7tM5F4yJME570n9w6RpGirLUsNj0r_NUby

This morning my scale showed over half a lb weight loss anyway. It kept my previous loss and added to it.

I mention this to illustrate that it does not matter the particular thing you eat so much. I noticed you did not say I went over by X calories, but mentioned the chocolate specifically. It's weird that nobody ever says "HALP! I overate raw cabbage and dressing to the tune of 1500 calories, do I have to fast the next day?"

Overall your body will lose weight as long as you are consistently eating fewer calories than you are burning, through exercise or otherwise. I like to look at it as a weekly average to make room for those days when I might be less hungry and know I can eat more cals the next day since I notice I get hungrier usually after a low hunger day like that. It also gives me wiggle room on days I'm hungrier and just HAVE to have that high calorie thing. I have a couple days to make up for it by shaving off cals or spreading the cals out over multiple workouts in the coming days. Maybe this will work for you and make that candy bar enjoyable and worth it.
  • cmd720
    cmd720 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've read about cheat meals and stuff and apparently your body needs those cheat meals. You hit plateaus when you constantly eat the same amount of calories, because your body gets used to it and you stop losing weight. If you cheat, it'll keep your body guessing. But at the same time, you're not really supposed to cheat on your diet more than once a week. So don't feel bad, it's okay to cheat every once in awhile. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating, it's eating. You don't need to "recover" or atone for this. Just carry on as normal. Fasting for a day because you ate too much chocolate only sets you up for a really bad relationship with food where you alternate between over-eating and punishing yourself for it. You haven't failed, you just ate a bit more than you intended to. Carry on as you were. Your success doesn't rest on what you eat on isolated days, it's all about how you eat on a daily basis. If you are prone to eating more than you intend to, then look at ways of preventing that happening in the future.

You said one of the BEST things I've heard all day.

the OP is the 2nd post here on MFP, and I just woke up :) to say that their diet is making them sick.

What is going on with people on diets making their bodies sick??????????????

I think people ought to rethink their diet and just eat a variety of good foods.. eff these stupid strict diets that eff up people's health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't quite think she's saying that her diet is making her body sick. I'm thinking she's saying that after all the candy (chocolate) from last night, she's not feeling well. Which can make sense, especially if your body isn't used to eating a large amount of the stuff.

ok that may be true.. i just reacted to like the 2nd post i read and someone's sick.. makes me think about this strict dieting and what it could do. but maybe im wrong.

Well, if I may weigh in here with some conjecture. When I read it, I read it as her thoughts about the eating of that bar might be making her sick. I noticed a lot of people who do those "Clean" or food eliminating diets read repeatedly as part of their learning about the diet that the foods they are supposed to avoid will "make them sick" or are "bad for them" with lot's of scientific sounding mumbo jumbo surrounding these ideas. I can see how thinking about this the entire time you are eating a large portion of something you consider off limits might mess with your head enough to make you feel physically ill, due to the anxiety. Much like people with nervous tummy's might get a tummy ache before school or when missing someone or looking forward to a worrisome event. In this way, yes I do believe the diet can make them sick as these symptoms are felt as real. They affect the persons ability to eat subsequently and are usually remedied by real solutions like crackers ginger ale and the like in the short term. In the long term. The stressor should probably be addressed.
  • JonesM7801
    JonesM7801 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Like everyone on here is saying, don't beat yourself up! Just remember that tomorrow, you can start back again on the right track :) When I over eat, I find that drinking lots of water and doing some light stretching helps me to feel better. It calms me down, puts me in the right mindset, and makes my stomach feel better :)
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Are your pictures current because it looks like you must be pretty close to goal weigh?

I have found that over the years I have had huge cheat days and evens weeks (holidays, vacations) and I haven't gained much weight. I get maybe a couple lbs over what I like and then return to normal eating and back to where I want to be. It is not the end of the world if you eat over your caloric goal a few times in your life. It isn't even the end of the world if you end up a couple lbs over your goal weight. Just keep in check and make adjustments as needed. Weight loss or maintenance is more fluid. Its not so black or white. Thank goodness I don't have to be perfect and can enjoy life a little too much sometimes.

Enjoy that chocolate and then continue on.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It was one time. I think you'll be just fine. :]
  • aggieanne04
    aggieanne04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I went off the rails a few weeks ago, but I didn't punish myself for it- I just tried to eat super healthy and worked out a little more than usual the next week. It was fine. :) I'm not a fan of "cheating" - I like "treating." I plan out things that I want to eat or have been craving. If I want pie or ice cream or chocolate (love the Hershey's dark chocolate!) or cheese dip or... etc., I just plan for it and make it part of my calories. That way I get to have what I want, and it still works! I like someone else's idea of having a piece or two throughout the week- that way it's better for you than sitting down with the entire bar and ending up with a massive sugar rush and crash. I had donuts last weekend, but I knew I was going to have them, so I planned the rest of my day to have fruits/veggies/lean protein/complex carbs to balance out my coffee & donut breakfast. LOL
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it, and maybe do an extra workout if it really bothers you. This was me last night

night-cheese_zps25fa81da.gif
  • jelly5454
    jelly5454 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To be fair with you this isn't the worst cheat in the world, and tomorrow is another day, Just don't do it everyday sort of thing.

Had a massive crack last night and had a cheeseburger, chips and cake, and I was gutted after I did it, but after I went for a run today it just felt like a slip up and a moment to just move on.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a massive cheat day once every two weeks or so. It actually seems to help more than anything.. I get rid of cravings and I usually don't gain anything from it. Any who, to answer your question, do NOT fast, this will slow weight loss and possibly cause gain. Plus you will be miserable. Who wants that? Do what I do the next day, and drink green tea and lots of water, eat clean and exercise. Don't worry about it! You're doing great!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You recover by hitting your nutritional goals precisely the next day.
    So that means, if you fast, you will be failing for a 2nd day in a row.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm currently recovering after eating almost an entire pan of brownies in about 24 hours. Damn you, TOM! I didn't do the math, but I believe there are about 16 servings worth 150cals each. Ugh.

All I know to do is get back on the wagon. If it's a small splurge I'd say just work it into the overall weekly caloric goal, but trying to subtract 1000-2000 calories from the week is a recipe for disaster.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Just FYI last night I ate two ice cream sandwiches like this after midnight right before going to bed. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRItgKKnTrfkG0VyO7tM5F4yJME570n9w6RpGirLUsNj0r_NUby

This morning my scale showed over half a lb weight loss anyway. It kept my previous loss and added to it.

I mention this to illustrate that it does not matter the particular thing you eat so much. I noticed you did not say I went over by X calories, but mentioned the chocolate specifically. It's weird that nobody ever says "HALP! I overate raw cabbage and dressing to the tune of 1500 calories, do I have to fast the next day?"

Overall your body will lose weight as long as you are consistently eating fewer calories than you are burning, through exercise or otherwise. I like to look at it as a weekly average to make room for those days when I might be less hungry and know I can eat more cals the next day since I notice I get hungrier usually after a low hunger day like that. It also gives me wiggle room on days I'm hungrier and just HAVE to have that high calorie thing. I have a couple days to make up for it by shaving off cals or spreading the cals out over multiple workouts in the coming days. Maybe this will work for you and make that candy bar enjoyable and worth it.
    This is not a chipper :mad: :angry: