White Rice and Asians

Options

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    TO OP- Another thing..(because this kind of topic riles me up) the original poster is 5'4 and 113 lbs and you are talking about asians being skinny? I took a look at your profile pic. You are a beautiful girl and you are already small! Why are you TRYING to lose weight?

I'm 5'3 and 131.

Uh...but asians are skinny, right?

no, it's not that asians are skinny but that YOU NEED TO LIFT. You got a pretty face but look at my pic and my "SKINNY" asian arms caused by rice eating and look at your pic. My asian arms are not skinny. Yours are. The problem is not trying to figure out how to eat more rice and lose weight. The problem is you need to stop trying to figure out how they are thin and you need to focus on yourself and lift heavy.

Not cool. She can look how she wants to look and how she is most comfortable in her own skin because she lives there, not you.. April, I would not hire you as my trainer either. Has nothing to do with anything other than it's simply not ok to tell others what they should do or how they should look based on what you think.

People, if you don't want people judging you, don't judge others!

Oh please. The OP is asking about how all these rice eating asians can be so skinny. The fact is...the girl herself is skinny. She has arms a kpop singer would die for. That's one thing I don't like, because I am asian I am put into the skinny category not the "athletic category." look at my arms and look at op's arms. does she really want asian arms? Cuz mine aren't skinny and I was fed decades of rice before I opted to just not eat so much of it as an adult.

and you can go ahead an judge me. It's an open forum. You put your picture out there..be willing to be judged. That;s not what OP intended I am sure. But the OP is SMALLER and skinnier and is not asian and is talking about these small skinny asians.

I just find it hilarious that I am shorter and actuallly weigh more....and grew up in that rice eating culture

@April, it is simply not ok to call someone 'skinny'. Or fat, or anything else. I singled you out because you are a trainer and should know better for that reason. In my personal opinion, the original poster has a lovely cute little figure and looks great.

As far as your issues about being asian and eating rice and whatever else...those are YOUR issues, not hers. She asked a question and probably did not mean to start any controversy and meant no harm. She is young and most likely basing her impressions on asians who are her friends. It's as simple as that.

Integrity people! Integrity is acting within your morals, values, ethics, golden rule, etc, even when others cannot see you. That includes the anonymity of the internet.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with white rice. It's cheap and a good source of carbs. Also it's filling so a small portion will fill you up nicely.

thats-racist.gif
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    ^^ Oh please mslmesq....

As a trainer I do tell people as I see it. DO you know how many times I get women who want to look like the olsen twins? I tell them no and I tell them the truth.

I turn plenty of people away. And that's ethical. I can go ahead and take people's money if I want to."Oh..you want to just work on your core and nothing else. SURE!"

Uh..no.

I tried educating a woman I saw, told her we had to do other exercises and not just her "core" and she primarily meant just her rectus abdominus. I turned her away. I told her we could incorporate what she wanted but we needed to put in some things I saw she sorely needed..

This is why I currently specialize in weight lifting. People know that now by glancing at my bio in the gym, and if they don't want to work with me.They don't. Trust me, there are plenty of trainers out there who will take ANYONE.

I'm not one of them.

I'm also a nurse and some of my outspokenness comes from that. If I see an unhealthy habit I will immediately confront it. So I am coming not just from a personal training background but from a nursing background. Anyways, I'm done.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

THANK YOU. I have experienced that frustration when I was told that by Asian they only meant the Chinese and the Japanese. The rest of us from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc are from an yet unnamed continent.

To answer OP, in India we ate tons of rice but we also walked everywhere. Cars were used only when traveling more than 10miles away.

This confused me too. You'd think the use of generalizations based on ethnicity would extinguish itself once found to be inadequate compared to lifestyle, society, etc.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with white rice. It's cheap and a good source of carbs. Also it's filling so a small portion will fill you up nicely.

thats-racist.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    this kid is hilarious!
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options

thats-racist.gif

What the frack?! lol

Brown rice is equally as awesome as white rice, if not better. Happy?!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    TO OP- Another thing..(because this kind of topic riles me up) the original poster is 5'4 and 113 lbs and you are talking about asians being skinny? I took a look at your profile pic. You are a beautiful girl and you are already small! Why are you TRYING to lose weight?

I'm 5'3 and 131.

no, it's not that asians are skinny but that YOU NEED TO LIFT. You got a pretty face but look at my pic and my "SKINNY" asian arms caused by rice eating and look at your pic. My asian arms are not skinny. Yours are. The problem is not trying to figure out how to eat more rice and lose weight. The problem is you need to stop trying to figure out how they are thin and you need to focus on yourself and lift heavy.

Not cool. She can look how she wants to look and how she is most comfortable in her own skin because she lives there, not you.. April, I would not hire you as my trainer either. Has nothing to do with anything other than it's simply not ok to tell others what they should do or how they should look based on what you think.

Oh please. The OP is asking about how all these rice eating asians can be so skinny. The fact is...the girl herself is skinny. She has arms a kpop singer would die for. That's one thing I don't like, because I am asian I am put into the skinny category not the "athletic category." look at my arms and look at op's arms. does she really want asian arms? Cuz mine aren't skinny and I was fed decades of rice before I opted to just not eat so much of it as an adult.

and you can go ahead an judge me. It's an open forum. You put your picture out there..be willing to be judged. That;s not what OP intended I am sure. But the OP is SMALLER and skinnier and is not asian and is talking about these small skinny asians.

I just find it hilarious that I am shorter and actuallly weigh more....and grew up in that rice eating culture

@April, it is simply not ok to call someone 'skinny'. Or fat, or anything else. I singled you out because you are a trainer and should know better for that reason. In my personal opinion, the original poster has a lovely cute little figure and looks great.

As far as your issues about being asian and eating rice and whatever else...those are YOUR issues, not hers. She asked a question and probably did not mean to start any controversy and meant no harm. She is young and most likely basing her impressions on asians who are her friends. It's as simple as that.

Integrity people! Integrity is acting within your morals, values, ethics, golden rule, etc, even when others cannot see you. That includes the anonymity of the internet.

But, didn't the OP herself call everyone from the Asian continent, "skinny"?
  • sarahhan95
    Options
    I feel like a damn monkey in the zoo watching some people here "speculating" about us Asian as if we are aliens (frown Asian face --> -_____-)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What the frack?! lol

849.gif
  • apriltrainer
    Options

I'm 5'3 and 131.

But, didn't the OP herself call everyone from the Asian continent, "skinny"?

Actually she used the more politically correct word- thin. Preceded by- MOST asians are thin.

Would that make it better mslmesq or whatever your name is, if I said TOO thin instead of skinny?
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    @contrarian, no. She said, "most asians are thin". And again, she is young and is probably refering to those she is familiar with. But there is a difference between the word thin and skinny. One takes a derogatory tone traditionally.

Aside from that, technically you can google obesity rates throughout the world and we can start a new debate based on actual statistics of different countries including their food and diet staples. It is a fact that Japan has one of the lowest obesity rates and that rice is a staple of their diet served with virtually every meal.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It's all the math they do.

Haha!
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    Anyways, I'm going to leave this conversation since I'm an unethical person who name calls to go to my gym to work on my TOO THIN(that better?) asian arms and power up with some rice right after..
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    @April, I don't know, you tell me. Do you think it is ok to walk up to someone and tell them they are too thin. Or they are skinny. Or to walk up to them and tell them they weigh too much or are fat?

You cannot assume someone meant something in a negative derogatory fashion just because you took it that way based on your own issues. Usually what 'triggers' us is based on things we still need to work on in ourselves. But turning around and bashing someone else when I doubt they had any mal-intention...:noway:
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    What the frack?! lol

849.gif

:laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Right. Thin is okay, but skinny is not. Thank you for the education.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Right. Thin is okay, but skinny is not. Thank you for the education.

Aside from the sarcasm, you're welcome. But if you don't believe me, take a poll. Ask people if they have a negative conotation with the word thin. And the word skinny.

Aside from that, it was obvious April meant it in a negative way no matter what...telling her she is skinny, needs to put on muscle, shouldn't lose weight.

Are we really arguing over people's bashing posts?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I really liked a lot of what April was saying and I am 100% in agreement about lifting and getting strong. But it also didn't seem very healthy when she started passing judgment on the OP's personal appearance, especially when that was not in any way asked for. I believe April's clearly an excellent strong lifter, but if my trainer started saying rude things to me like that, I would fire my trainer. I pay my trainer to help me reach my clearly-stated goals safely and with good form, not to evaluate me aesthetically.
  • coruscate
    Options
    Make sure to steam it instead of making it more delicious with butter and salt! :tongue:

Also, if you are running into any "it's not worth the cost to your health, just throw the white rice away", but throwing out food feels wrong and wasteful, then if the bags are unopened, you can donate them to a food bank. The open stuff....enjoy in portion and steam.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Wow one thread full of so many Racial stereotypes