Walking (shoppinng)

Options

Replies

• siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wandering around shopping is not exercise. Your heart rate isn't significantly raised and you aren't burning much more than just standing. If you want to log exercise then do some exercise. Searching for extra calories to eat won't aid your weight loss.

Moving at all burns more calories than not moving. Give the girl a break! It's her first day!
  • aliasbee
    aliasbee Posts: 27
    Options
    Seems like everyone is so rude about an honest question! I think it's fine to add shopping if you're keeping track of the time and such. I don't shop every day, so it is not part of my daily activity. I've tracked all sorts of things like doing dishes, vacuuming the back porch etc. These things lose a different amount of calories depending on your starting weight and how long the sustained activity is.

I've kept a consistent loss of 1.9 to 2lbs a week and there are no real discrepancies in my statistics for doing so. I have my lifestyle as sedentary. Some days I do just sit at my computer most of the day for work. There are a lot of websites online that will give you a rough estimate of how many calories you lose in a given activity. If you want a more accurate count, invest in a heartrate monitor or a pedometer of some sort.

Some people don't want to hassle with the extra data and that's fine, but I like to know what any and all of my stats are so if something changes I can figure out what kind of activities I was or wasn't doing and how they contribute.

Though if you want to make it count for more exercise, I'd start carrying the hand baskets, and if you have time/a close store walk to the store and back. I have one just a five minute walk away. I find I walk faster if I have a destination, or heavy groceries I want to get back. But I only shop for two people so this may not be manageable for your lifestyle depending.

I've found that the Jamba Juice near me is exactly far enough that I can reward myself with a small or medium smoothie. If counting calorie deficits from exercise makes you more motivated, I say go for it.

(Also as far as I understand it, light activity assumes about 10000 steps a day, which is about 4 miles of walking. I don't know about you, but living in an apartment and working from home I have to push real hard to hit that.)
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Any extra activity you do helps your metabolism. As your first day, this is a great first step. I try to add extra steps to my day, but I don't add that exercise as a calorie deficit unless it is walking at a fast pace, cycling, or going to the gym. Keep up the good work!
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    do you have a smartphone? you could get an app that tracks either steps taken or, what i like, is tracked by gps so it calculates minutes/mile etc.
    i use mapmywalk on my iphone. like this fabulous service for MFP you enter all your stats and it will calculate roughly how many calories you burn.
  • kellesee
    kellesee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kpedersen3, Aliasbee and Siqiniq. You all understood what I meant.

I think I better find another place to go.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First off, sedentary does not mean lays in bed in a coma all day. That is your BMR. Sedentary is defined as:
    Sleeping - 8 hours
    Personal care (dressing, showering) - 1 hour
    Eating - 1 hour
    Cooking - 1 hour
    Sitting (office work, selling produce, tending shop) - 8 hours
    Driving car to/from work - 1 hour
    General household work - 1 hour
    Light leisure activities (watching TV, chatting) - 3 hours

So the average office workers day. If you exercise beyond that you can add it or if you have a job that puts you as more active than that then you move up to lightly active. Also, being an office worker doesn't mean you get to work and drop dead in a chair. There is the assumption that you do move around during the day.

Second, wearing a HRM for anything other than steady state cardio (running, cycling, aerobics) will give you highly inflated numbers. So wearing it to drive your car is not accurate, neither is wearing it to get a burn while shopping.

One of the reasons so many people fail at weight loss is the mindset that every movement has to be compensated with food. Eat to live, not live to eat. You'll find that successful people who lose and keep it off have learned not to expect that everything they do is exercise beyond sitting on the couch and that everything they do doesn't earn them a reward beyond fitness.

Brisk walking for a sustained period of time is exercise. Unless you are going to the mall to walk at a decent speed for exercise then it's just shopping and part of your life.
  • kellesee
    Options
    Thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks.:flowerforyou:

I don't log regular shopping, but if I'm at a huge flea market or mall and I'm walking for hours, you bet I count it. I've gotten in over 14000 steps doing that!
  • kellesee
    Options
    That was a helpful (not hurtful) response. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • kellesee
    Options
    Yeah. You're right.

Yuck .... how dark their lives must be. Glad it's not me.

ANNYYWWWAAYYY....... so, I should take off that "exercise" (which I understand that it's not, now) and raise my lifestyle to "light" or whatever that was?

This thing has me at 1200 calories. Isn't that too low?
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    JESUS !!! EASE UP, PEOPLE ! This is my first day on this thing and I was trying to figure it out !! Most of the people who posted on here were pretty rude. Is there REALLY a need to be that way? Thanks a lot for making me feel even worse !! :-(

I'm sorry you had to be exposed to this on your first day. MFP is a microcosm of life. You'll find very nice, supportive, and helpful people here, and you'll find loudmouth a-holes; only the anonymity of the internet allows the loudest and most a-hole-ish people to have an open forum.

Here's how I do it. I walk into the store (usually a Costco run with my wife and kids) and depending on the circumstances, I'll use discretion to decide how to log. For walking, I always choose the slowest option. I usually walk at a fast pace, and when pushing a cart full of bulk items, I don't feel bad about getting the extra calories MFP estimates.

As for mall shopping and such, I cut back on actual minutes spent in the mall contingent upon how often I stopped to look.

That said, if you shop a lot (5 days/week or more), you may want to consider whether logging it is appropriate. The idea is to add exercises that you don't typically do to your log.
  • kellesee
    Options
    Thanks! That was helpful.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that if you want to log your shopping for exercise to go ahead and do it. If you're going to use walking 2.0 though I'd either log the amount of time and then change the calorie burn to about half or log a shorter amount of time since it's unlikely you were actually walking the entire time. It's really totally up to you though.
  • kellesee
    Options
    Thanks !
  • MelissaBoydston82
    Options
    I don't log every time I shop, but when I take 5 kids with me (and carry the baby who is roughly 25lbs), and i speed through the store to get it done...i sometimes log that. lol

I do log when I deep clean my house. only when i really really CLEAN it, though. I only log it b/c when I deep clean like that, I do not have time to workout that day. I have 5 kids, a husband, and 2 pets...so it gets pretty disgusting here. By deep cleaning, I mean scrubbing baseboards, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, etc. It usually takes me roughly 3 hours. I know those 3 hours do not compare to say running for 3 hours straight...but there's no way deep cleaning to that extent doesn't burn SOME calories.

Then again, I'm kinda new at this....so what do i know? :P
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know how I was being rude, I thought I was being helpful. From what I understand sedentary means you do nothing all day. Maybe I'm wrong but that is what I get out of it, light activity (again from what I understand) is walking around, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, ect. I would find it a pain to have to add everyday activities.. such as walking into my log. Then again, I don't have to worry about it because I have a bodymedia. Good luck, hope you find the answer you are looking for.
  • MelissaBoydston82
    Options
    oh and also, on the days I deep clean, I won't eat as much as I would if I rode a bike 5 or 6 miles. Even though it shows that I burned a few extra calories, I know that I was just more active that day, but I didn't really strain myself. ya know?
  • kellesee
    Options
    Thanks .
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If you want to log this sort of thing, I suggest you get a FitBit and eat at a deficit from what your FitBit tells you. I don't log it specifically but on days I go to Walmart I get extra steps in.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    You know, my biggest issue with the "if you did it while getting fat, don't count it now" is that you weren't actively tracking calories in while getting fat, were you? This is part of the reason I love my fitbit. I'm set at highly active, and most days, even rest days, I wind up with at least a modest adjustment from my fitbit - I regularly clock 10+ miles a day. Set your activity level honestly, and log what goes over and above it (or go the easy route and get a fitbit or something similar).
This discussion has been closed.