Foreman Grill?

Options

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It is a gimmick use a cast iron skillet or cast iron grill pan, and proper heat. the foreman grill is just commercially hyped junk trying to replicate what is done much better by simple cast iron.

as to the pressed sandwich you can use a 2nd cast iron or whats called a cast iron press

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Press/13377930

Cast iron does everything better and can be used to cook thousands of dif cuisines and regional dishes as well fusion, it can go from stove top to broiler and oven to barbecue pit.

Pretty good gimmicks then.... Since it was introduced in 1994 ole George as sold over 100 million of his grills to the masses.. I am going to go out on a limb here and say they must be worth something to some people or they wouldn't have sold so many....

I tell you what if anyone can make food even half as good as mine on a foreman non-stick plugin grill comparable to anything I could ever make on cast iron... I would be willing to put money in on that..

first and foremost you cannot form proper flavor on non-stick its not going to do the job and 2nd how many have you owned? I have cast iron pans in my kitchen over 130 years old still being used.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It is a gimmick use a cast iron skillet or cast iron grill pan, and proper heat. the foreman grill is just commercially hyped junk trying to replicate what is done much better by simple cast iron.

as to the pressed sandwich you can use a 2nd cast iron or whats called a cast iron press

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Press/13377930

Cast iron does everything better and can be used to cook thousands of dif cuisines and regional dishes as well fusion, it can go from stove top to broiler and oven to barbecue pit.

Pretty good gimmicks then.... Since it was introduced in 1994 ole George as sold over 100 million of his grills to the masses.. I am going to go out on a limb here and say they must be worth something to some people or they wouldn't have sold so many....

I tell you what if anyone can make food even half as good as mine on a foreman non-stick plugin grill comparable to anything I could ever make on cast iron... I would be willing to put money in on that..

first and foremost you cannot form proper flavor on non-stick its not going to do the job and 2nd how many have you owned? I have cast iron pans in my kitchen over 130 years old still being used.

since 1994 we have owned 3 George Foreman grills the latest one we have had for oh maybe 10 years now.. I eat 4000 calories a day and eat a crap ton of chicken breast so the ole foreman heats up in 3 minutes and cook time is 7 minutes and I am ready to eat. We have 6 cast iron skillets in the cupboard 4 of which are my grandmother and 2 of those was her moms and the other 2 are my wife mothers so yes they have alot of age and cooked in seasoning and we use them quite often but when it comes to ease of use I just grab the foreman. I put a sh#t ton of seasoning on anything I cook so flavor is not an issue even in the Foreman but to each his on. It really comes down to a personal preference.....
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I love my GFG!! I don't always feel like using my cast iron...besides which my wrist went dead on me and I dropped my cast iron pan on my glass top stove and shattered it. PLUS they are a real pain to clean! If you don't dry it right away (the cast iron that is) they do rust.

GFG is great for the kids to cook up their own meals without worrying about wrecking my stove or pans.

I also have another electric indoor grill that has different plates for it and different temp control. I use it mostly for panini. Its a lot like the GFG but I can lay the top open flat and have to plates to cook on. When I'm done I pop out the grills and put them in the dishwasher.

I love having different gadgets. I use whatever I'm in the mood to use at that moment. Burgers and hot sandwiches I make on my grills and steaks and chicken etc. I cook up in my cast iron pans.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    BBQ is awesome. By all means, get the grill. Heck, even a grate over campfire coals makes delicious food.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Use my George Foreman Grill almost daily. I upgraded from the original one to the one with removable plates. A whole lot easier to clean and you can make so many different things with the other plates.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of praise for the Foreman grill posted here. I've used them and they are okay for what they are designed to do. HOWEVER, for the money spent on successive models when each one quit working as it was supposed to (remember, six kids means a lot of teenager stomachs have passed through my kitchen...) I found the better models of stainless steel Panini grills was a better value. I've got a GE model that is working just as well now as five years ago when I bought it and the larger surface area means I can actually grill enough for a meal plus left overs for lunch the next day at one time. Clean-up is easier to me too.
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I use mine several times a week. I grill all of my chicken at the beginning of the week so I only have to heat it up when I want it. I also grill veggies on it as well! I would suggest buying one with the removable plates, though. Makes life much easier when cleaning! You'll love it!
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We've got a small knock-off version for the two of us and we love it. We can cook meat in half the time which is a real time saver for me (my husband likes everything extra well done - steaks take FOREVER!!!). Most days, I'm home by 4 and have plenty of time to get dinner on the table by our 5:30 dinner time, but some days, I rush in that door at 5 and can only throw some steaks on the GF and steam some frozen veggies. We don't have removable plates and clean up has never been all that difficult.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Have a medium sized GFG that I got at a yard sale for $3. It would hold about 3 or 4 chicken breasts or burgers. It doesn't have removeable p;ates, but I spray it with PAM, and when I am finished cooking, and I unplug it, I put a couple of paper towels, saturated with water on it, close the lid and it steams it practically clean.

I use it for chicken, beef, sandwiches and vegies. I have used seasonings, marinades or just plain items and they all taste good!!

Fast, easy and no fat!!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I use it to make a lot of my breakfast sandwiches to take on the go. I will put a tortilla with a Laughing Cow wedge and some ham and a cheese slice and grill until brown and gooey.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use my Foreman grill for steaks...they always come out great. Mine has the removable plates...I couldn't stand cleaning the other kind.
  • spc548
    spc548 Posts: 1
    Options
    The foreman grill was OK for college, I had one, but, it never really got hot enough to brown anything. By the time any chicken is cooked through, it's dry, and it makes steak taste like liver. Yech! You want a CUISINART GRIDDLER. OMG! It's wonderful and gets hot enough to brown chicken or steak easily. It makes fantastic panini's, grills veggies perfectly, opens flat, and has 4 interchangable browning surfaces that are removable and go into the dishwasher! Or, you can easily wipe these surfaces clean (while warm) with paper towel, if you are in a dorm. So, don't waste your time or money on a George Forman grill. Buy a Cuisinart Griddler. You will LOVE it. I think the Griddler is now competitive in price. I've seen them for around $50 at Cost Co. Trust me...I'm a personal chef, and I love my Griddler.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love the convenience of it, but I have to admit I have not used it within the past year. It is quick and easy though, and if I were single I would probably use it all the time, but cooking for a whole family of us, it just doesn't work out so great.
  • laneice78
    laneice78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love my George foreman grill. My husband and I love to grill burgers, chicken, and fish. One of my favorites is boneless, skinless chicken thighs!! YUM
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ours quit working earlier this summer. We keep talking about replacing it but keep forgetting. We have a gas grill and a Primo grill so we aren't highly motivated but they are handy when it's raining or cold.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of praise for the Foreman grill posted here. I've used them and they are okay for what they are designed to do. HOWEVER, for the money spent on successive models when each one quit working as it was supposed to (remember, six kids means a lot of teenager stomachs have passed through my kitchen...) I found the better models of stainless steel Panini grills was a better value. I've got a GE model that is working just as well now as five years ago when I bought it and the larger surface area means I can actually grill enough for a meal plus left overs for lunch the next day at one time. Clean-up is easier to me too.

We have went through several too and we don't even use it that often...usually only if it's too cold to grill outside or for paninis. We still want to replace our broken one though.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have one and haven't used it all that much. Getting it out tomorrow and going to do some cooking up of chicken breasts and some veggies. Putting it on some brown rice and hope I have a filling meal. Thanks for the tips and for reminding me of the easy way to cook, especially in the summer.:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love mine and going to be a bigger one soon. You may want to check your local Goodwill, if you live in the US. I saw about 5 at ours on Sat. It is not a fad but I have to say that unless you have removable plates you have to be sure you wipe it down immediately so that it will stay in good shape. Mine still looks new about 5 yrs and works great.
    :smile:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    The foreman grill was OK for college, I had one, but, it never really got hot enough to brown anything. By the time any chicken is cooked through, it's dry, and it makes steak taste like liver. Yech! You want a CUISINART GRIDDLER. OMG! It's wonderful and gets hot enough to brown chicken or steak easily. It makes fantastic panini's, grills veggies perfectly, opens flat, and has 4 interchangable browning surfaces that are removable and go into the dishwasher! Or, you can easily wipe these surfaces clean (while warm) with paper towel, if you are in a dorm. So, don't waste your time or money on a George Forman grill. Buy a Cuisinart Griddler. You will LOVE it. I think the Griddler is now competitive in price. I've seen them for around $50 at Cost Co. Trust me...I'm a personal chef, and I love my Griddler.

I prefer my Cuisinart Griddle to the Foreman Grill as well. It has temp control and comes with flat plates as well as the one with the grooves. I can make pancakes on it, panini's, grill up burgers or chicken etc. And as you say it opens flat. Big plus for me. When our daughter leaves for college end of this month I'm getting her one for her room.
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use mine daily. I'm too lazy to bake chicken.