Most Uncomfortable / Hardest Part Of Being Overweight

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well for me it made me home bound.. 4 years ago I was literally trapped in my own home... I could barely stand at 560 lbs. let alone walk from room to room.... Severe social phobia had kept me out of major dept. stores for over 7 years leading up to that time... So everything came to a head in 2009.... I hit rock bottom and stop saying no to everything and started saying yes... I crawled and pulled myself out of that pit I was in and am standing here today a new man.... You just have to be willing to put one foot in front of the other and always keep pushing forward...... Best of Luck

AMAZING weight loss :) did you lose it all on MFP?

No but I used the principles that are the basis of MFP.... I had lost around 220 lbs. when I came to this site and my reason for coming here in the beginning was more socially driven than weightloss... I had severe social phobia I was dealing with so I used the forums here and put my story on here and start interacting with my MFP friends. I still had the isolation that I needed (being behind a computer screen) while learning to interact socially again... As I did this here I was venturing out of the house for short excursion and building upon them every time as well.... I have been in therapy for 4 years dealing with my depression, social phobias and eating addictions.... It is all relevant in the big picture of my fight to regain control of my life....
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My own kids keep asking if I'm having another baby. :( I keep telling them no, but it breaks my heart a little every time. And, of course, the rest of me is shrinking, but not so much my belly. Go figure!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Must say your a very pretty lady. Don't let anyone or anything take that away from you.

I personally have been a large women all my life. In that I mean taller than most and heavier. I was always a sports fanatic so guys just looked at me as one of the guys. I never allowed my size to cripple me. I am not saying that I didn't struggle to walk into a room filled with people and it not be a STRUGGLE. It was and still is even with my weight loss. I fight it daily trying to accept myself, look at myself and find 1 thing positive about myself. It's hard.

Hold your head high, be proud of who and what you are. A true person will love you for what you carry on the inside NOT by your size on the outside.

Good Luck..
  • justbeachy01
    justbeachy01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the general uncomfortableness of living in my own body. It feels like being stuck in a trap that is impossible to escape from. Not only does this limit my energy and athletic abilities, but the feeling of anxiety that comes from it is debilitating. It's the little things I worry about in life...I want to kayak, but will I sink it? How will I dress well for work if I can't find anything to wear?

Really exhausting. BUT, I think this website is amazing. Everyone here is incredibly supportive and really makes me want to be healthy!
  • shdenby
    shdenby Posts: 8
    Options
    1. Not being comfortable with my boyfriend during. . . umm. . nekky time lol. I can usually just be in the moment but sometimes I just think 'Oh boy this can't look good'

2. Mean girls at work who make comments they think I can't hear or will stare at certain places like my tummy and make me feel self conscious :(
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me was that i wouldn't even try to do things i wanted to, just incase i'd fail/be too fat/look stupid/blah blah.
    I have great friends and a fab family. Nobody ever put me down. It was all me. Now I think of the time i wasted by being too afraid. I'm still chubby now, but i've got better at grabbing life by the balls!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Since I'm still label as Obese on the BMI scale. I'd say the worse thing is being labeled diseased by the American Medical Association.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I have been big the majority of my life and my size hasn't stopped me from enjoying a nice dating life, so those of you saying you can't date because of the weight are wrong, there are people out there who are looking past the physical and want to fall in love with the complete person - brains, personality, beautiful smile, etc.

Anyway for me the hardest part of being overweight is all the things I've missed out on because I couldn't join in. I can't walk up and down stairs - starting to get better at that one. I couldn't fit in theater seats - I fit now. I couldn't go for a walk in the moonlight. I can't sit in a standard tub take a relaxing bubble bath - hopefully I can do that by the end of the year.

As the weight is coming off and I am feeling better and more energetic the more I realize that I've been missing out on for so long and can't wait to be able to do them.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Since I'm still label as Obese on the BMI scale. I'd say the worse thing is being labeled diseased by the American Medical Association.

Hugh Jackman and Dwayne (the Rock) Johnson are also considered obese by the BMI scale so I'd say you're in good company.
  • nicolaturner1986
    nicolaturner1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Like you I find the embarrassment difficult, I can't walk into McDonalds without feeling like people are staring. I hate finding clothing I love but then being told they don't do it in my size.
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For me...there are several things. I avoid the camera at all costs. I do not like the way I look in pictures, as I am not photogenic at all. Another is hearing about my kids getting teased because of their "fat momma". Kids are cruel anyways, but to pick on them for something totally out of their control. I can not stand going clothes shopping. It seems all the plus sized clothes are bright with stripes or large flowers and remind me of something my grandma might wear. I have never been comfortable in my own skin, nor do I like the way I look. I do not see myself as attractive, but I hope through this process I hope to learn to love myself and embrace my imperfections.
  • ivory98107
    ivory98107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, it's always having to think about it:
    - Make sure I take all the clothes I need on a trip because chances are I won't be able to find something off the rack in short order if I need something
    - Will I fit in that booth?
    - Will I fit between those tables without taking someone's water glass out with my backside?
    - Will I be able to buckle the seatbelt on this aircraft?
    - Will the chair hold my weight? What about the step ladder?
    - Not being able to do a segway tour, horseback riding, indoor skydiving, etc. because I exceed the weight limit.
    - Will I be able to fit into the "historic" theater seats? Found this one out the hard way. :(
    - Always having to ask for "the biggest robe you have" at the spa since tiny spa attendants often can't fathom that ANYONE would need larger than an XL...

Ugg.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The worst part is not being completely comfortable in my own skin and feeling like less a person than somebody who looks good in a swim suit. I never really feel pretty or attractive. I haven't had any decent relationships because I keep people at arms length. I put on shows of bravado and always look for interesting jobs and activities, because otherwise I don't feel like I have anything to offer. I've traveled all over the world, mostly by myself. I can tell stories of working on pearl farms in Tahiti, fishing boats in Alaska, or surfing in Morocco, but I don't have anybody to share the experience with. I'm 27, and all my friends are married and having babies, and they all say they live vicariously through me, but at the end of the day, I'm the one alone. I want my last few years in the 20s to be awesome, and head into my 30s comfortable with myself!
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would like to congratulate you for the 9# loss you had. I have only started with MFP a month ago - committed and determined this time - and I find that this site is very helpful especially with all the people here who are just very supportive and encouraging. I read in your post that you haven't dated in a long time and you feel like people are judging you based on your weight and how you look like. I just want to say that as you get on to this program, you should let go minding what other people think about you because you know for yourself that you are in fact on the road to making yourself better - weight wise. I used to feel the same but I decided to channel all my frustration and insecurity to motivation. For every judging look I get, I condition myself to stay more focused on my goal, and I really celebrate on every achievement I reach. For example if managed to stay on my goal calorie intake for the day, I would celebrate by really focusing on what I am feeling at the moment: feeling less bloated, feeling healthier, happier. This way, I'd feel better about myself and I will be way more motivated to keep on going the next day.

Keep in mind that you are not alone. There are a lot of us who feel really bad about how our bodies make us feel. Whenever our clothes do not fit, whenever we cannot control the way we eat, whenever we get compared with other people who are skinnier. It is ok to feel that way as it is normal, but do not focus on those negative stuff. Allow yourself to feel bad if you must but keep it under a minute. The most important thing is how we can pick ourselves up and how we choose to move forward. =)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I don't feel as "professional". People DO judge on appearance. It's an undeniable fact. Two people with the same qualifications, experience, the "fitter" one is more likely to get hired.

The other "hardest" part is success seems to come in fits and starts so much so that even if we are getting smaller, we fail to realize it-- that is, we've been used to being overweight and slovenly for so long that even when we're no longer overweight and slovenly, we tend to still think we are.

And then there's clothes shopping. . .
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I also hate dating. I will be 40 in a few months and I swear men are looking for size zero and no brains. Men please correct me!!!

Man here. You are correct. :tongue:
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Photos are some of the worst things imaginable! Especially full body shots.

I just remember feeling like the least attractive girl in my group of friends when we went out to frat parties. I remember not meeting cute boys' gaze just because I didn't feel worthy or I felt ashamed. The truth is, I was probably only fifteen pounds heavier than I am now, around 165. But when everyone else around you doesn't seem to have an ounce of fat on them, it's very easy to feel like the outsider.

I actually remember one girl freshman year of college implying that I was fat when I didn't really think that I was. But it's those sort of blows that can destroy self-esteem, no matter what your size. I just wish there was some easy way to fix self esteem. It seems like weight loss would be it, but being skinny doesn't mean that we'll necessarily feel any better about ourselves.

Just be strong, be healthy, try to love yourself and strive to find happiness in your life. I think that's the most we can do.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Great posts and great people here. I love this place, and it makes me feel better to know that I am not alone in this on-going battle against myself.

The worst thing about being overweight used to be the teasings at school, the idea that no one would ever love me, that I couldn't find any clothes that fit.

Now, I feel guilt and shame for not taking care of myself and I have this fear of cancer, diabetes and debilitating diseases that could befall upon me because I have not been eating healthy or moving around enough. Right now, it is that guilt and that fear both which are making me turn my life around.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    a lot of what was already said:
    *Public transportation (including planes), always worried that I am taking up too much space, worried that the seat belt won't close.
    *shopping for clothing. not really loving anything, just buying clothing because "it fits" and "it's on sale".
    *not so much teased in school (more teased at home :-( ) but FEELING like i was out of place for being "the fat one". although that did motivate me to lose weight when i was a teen, managed to keep that off till my 30s.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    In my experience the hardest part about being overweight is that even tough I am no longer technically overweight, I still feel that way...

That is I still feel fat...

I also feel as if I need a million dollars worth of plastic surgery just so that women would find me attractive at all...

I understand this. At one point I thought that the mirror was a fun-house mirror because it made me look so thin. I'm a size 4 now, but for some reason I still see myself as the overweight person I used to be.

Clothes shopping is weird. I don't like to try on clothes in my size, I always pick sizes that are too big. The small sizes just look so tiny on the rack. But sure enough, I do wear the smaller sizes now.

Even after you lose the weight, the mind set is probably the hardest part to change.