The first time you realised you were actually over weight.

Options

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was always a tall, lanky kid and pretty fit. I first went to the Air Force Academy when I graduated HS and though I didn't finish, when I left the Academy for regular university, I was as fit as I'd ever been and about 6' 1" and 160 - 165lbs. Three years at UF partying and acting like a computer science major, I definitely packed on the pounds and a couple years after graduating I kept it up. About 2 1/2 years after graduating, I knew none of my clothes were fitting me and had purchased a size 38 for the first time (when I left the Academy I was a 33) but it didn't hit me until one day I got on the scale and saw 200lbs. I certainly wasn't morbidly obese but that was not a number I ever thought I'd see on the scale and it kicked my butt into gear.

That was 5 1/2 years ago now and fortunately I've never seen that number again. 8) I do hate looking at my UF graduation pictures though.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Saw a woman at the beach in the same swimsuit as me, but looked much better. I thought she might be taller or have a smaller bust because she was still soft and curvy, but in the right ways. We met in the bathroom and started talking and I found out that not only was she only an inch or so taller than me, but she was the same bust size as me. I knew I was a little chubby, but that night I calculated my BFP and I was only one percentage over, but I was in the obese category. So I joined MFP and began to workout.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes, sort of.

I mean, I knew I was putting on some weight but I never saw myself as actually being overweight/overfat.

A friend of mine who hadn't seen me in several years, just got back from Japan and the first thing he said to me was "hey, what the hell happened here?" while he pointed to my gut.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It didn't really hit me suddenly, I always knew I was overweight, I just didn't care enough. What made me decide enough was enough was when I slipped a disc last year, and my doctor looked at me sadly and told me that if I wasn't so overweight, it may not have happened, and that if I lost weight, I have a much better chance of it not happening again.

Being in that much pain and bed bound to the point where my other half had to help me go to the toilet definitely made me realise I needed to do something! :laugh:
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can't remember a time when I wasn't.

Apparently, my mother took me to the doctor when I was about 6 or 8 as she was so worried because I was a skinny little thing, but I don't remember that. The doctor took one look at me and said, "Don't worry, she's not ill or anything and she'll grow...". I look at photos of myself at that age and yes, I'm kind of skinny, but not ill-skinny!!

There have been times when being overweight has been rammed home to me by one thing or another, over the years, and I've taken some kind of action, but then it all goes back to "normal" ie over-indulging and not moving around enough (I can't even dignify that with the word "exercise".

Why did it all change this time? Haven't a clue. It just did, about a year ago, and it worked, on & off. But then I heard about MFP at the beginning of this year and it just WORKED. So, whereas my ticker says 31 or 32 lbs lost (can't remember offhand!) since January, I've lost around 42 since May last year.

And, for I think the first time ever, have got rid of all my "fat clothes" as I've been going along rather than keeping them "just in case" :happy:
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes, sort of.

I mean, I knew I was putting on some weight but I never saw myself as actually being overweight/overfat.

A friend of mine who hadn't seen me in several years, just got back from Japan and the first thing he said to me was "hey, what the hell happened here?" while he pointed to my gut.

ouch..!
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    when I couldnt suck my stomach in anymore and at the same time my 4 year old told me to put that thing away (meaning my stomach)when I had my stomach out cause I was hot.
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I was looking at some holiday photos and I said "who's that fat woman in the corner of the photo?" Only to realise with a shock that it was me :(

Same thing here. Except it was just me and a friend. I didn't really remember posing for the picture, but when I saw it on her facebook a few weeks later I remember thinking, "Who's that fat redhead with Amy? She looks really familiar..." It actually took me a minute of looking at the actual picture (thumbnail wasn't enough) to realize it was me. :cry:
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Of course we all know that we are gaining a 'bit', but the real wake up call came when I stepped on the scale and it showed me 3 metric digits. That was immidiately my big turning point and I never have been so heavy anymore ever since.
    (102 kilos = almost 225 lbs)
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    when I couldnt suck my stomach in anymore and at the same time my 4 year old told me to put that thing away (meaning my stomach)when I had my stomach out cause I was hot.

oh my god i remember constantly trying to hold my stomach in! I actually got really good at it!
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    Mine was more of a realization that I wasn't overweight once. I had assumed I was fat since I was a preschooler and could only realize years later that I never was actually overweight until middle school. I always ate what I want since I was already fat and hated myself until I actually was fat.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    It'd been creeping up on me....

I mean, several years back I joined Weight Watchers to get an extra 5 pounds off that I'd gained being all happily married and eating all the food my husband cooked for me. I kept ping-ponging, but kept it within 10 pounds.

Two springs ago, when I joined here initially, I had gained a little more than that, and managed to keep it at a not to horrible 163-ish, whereupon I couldn't seem to shake things up and lose anymore, but I didn't look awful.

In January, after having to go to the doctor for a fall, I got on the scale and saw 1-9-2, which is the largest I have ever been in my life, and I just KNEW that if I didn't get a handle on it right then and there? It was just going to keep going up. Hence I've been back daily since then.

Never again.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    when my face,body,stomach & leg are so big and my clothes cannot wear it anymore :(
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Up until recently, I was feeling quite good about myself. I was never what society accepts as thin, but I was an active martial artist and practicing yogini up until I was injured running. I had a strong, solid build with curves that attacted a lot of attention. I was fit and prideful to the point of arrogance.

I knew that I had put on "a couple of pounds" while I attended my injury, but I wasn't worried about it. I also knew that I wasn't working out half as much in the years following my injury. Then a photographer came for a photo shoot at my office. He used me for a few staging shots. I couldn't believe what I saw. I went home and stepped on the scale for the first time in years. Heck, when you workout as much as I used to, you didn't bother weighing yourself. "Used to" is an important phrase. While I was injured, I contiued to eat as though I was working out 6 days per week, and I wasn't working out at all. Yes, I noticed my clothing size increasing multiple times a year, but I chose to be in denial. I denied there was a problem until a photograher presented me with the evidence of my neglect.

Fifty pounds. I've gained just over 50 pounds. The scary number, coupled with the photograph dropped me into despair. I was so ashamed. I'm still ashamed, and I'm having a terrible time motivating myself. I try to run, and my knees ache. I'm heavy and slow and I want to cry just a mile or so in. I've been signing up for 5K races, and I feel so out of place beside so many younger, fit runners.

This whomps, but I'm glad I was forced to eat the reality sandwich. Fifty pounds is a lot, but it would be much worse if another year passed without arresting the weight gain.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Mine was after New Years Eve 2011/12 - I looked at the pictures my best friend took and was horrified. I'd accepted that the dress was getting a bit tighter and I was wearing my baggy jeans not my skinny jeans but this was the moment I looked and felt 'fat'. Actually overweight and awful.

I keep that dress. I put it on and laugh when it falls down now. It makes me so happy :)
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    Back in 10th grade...this was around 2001 I guess. I met up with some friends, and one of my classmates/co-workers said to me, "WHOA you're fat as ****!" Then everyone started laughing. I thank God I don't get embarrassed too easily, but I casually said something back to him that is sooooooooooo not politically correct to say today. But it got laughs too, so it took the heat off of me for a bit.

Same year, I was on the track team at my HS, some teammates marveled and said, "for a fat *kitten*, you can run your *kitten* off, good job." Again, deep down I resented that comment to the utmost, but I was still athletic, so it didn't click in my mind until years later when I lost a bit of that athleticism that I said to myself. Hey, you're overweight!

People can be so cruel. I believe it comes from self hatred. And I'm sarcastic as heck. But I have the common sense to know not to tease people about weight, or their general appearance. I hold the mantra, do unto others and they would do unto you.
  • roverrowe
    roverrowe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I last remember being a 'normal' weight at around 10 years old. After that I just went podgy and flabby and started hating my body. This physical loathing of myself manifested itself in me being shy with girls and at times pretty depressed. In some ways I'm glad I've always been fairly body conscious as I never let myself go completely (plenty of my school-mates who were fit are now way bigger than me), but I never got full control of my weight ... until now! Thanks to MFP at age 42 I will very shortly be a 'normal' weight again for the first time in 32 years! Just 3lbs left to go for that.
  • loritaheale
    Options
    I was "told" by my mother when I was 14 years old and she decided I was going on her diet with her. In retrospect many decades later I realize I was not overweight at that time. I had begun developing and I think that made my mother uncomfortable. I first thought I was overweight after my first child was born. In reality I wasn't but in my mind I was. I joined T.O.P.S. and lost 20 lbs. That was the beginning of my 40+ years of dieting. As I explore my history of weight, diets, etc. etc. It is amazing how much my weight/shape has been a primary memory.
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options

Kids are lovely little *kitten* aren't they. LOL. That made me crack up. But I know you were MORTIFIED.

Since I am a bigger guy, I try to dress where my stomach isn't as noticable, but this skinny woman at my office, when she walks through the door, looks dead at my stomach, and then looks at me and rolls her eyes.

It made me a little depressed and sad, but I'm doing something about it now, so I could care less of what she or anyone thinks.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Really I knew for years, but never excepted or admitted it but funny thing is when I did admit that I was fat and had a problem there was NO going back, if I made progress or not it is and will be torment on the mind forever more.