Women, would you take this offensively?

Options

Replies

• jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I probably would have let you break your foot with the weight rather than risk offending you.

Lol!!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Definetly keep going! You belong there just as much as they do. When that happens to me, I look at the weight on there, and if is higher than those 25lb weights, I just turn to the nearest guy who isn't in the middle of a rep and ask if they could help me. I have done this about 4 times, and each was very eager to help the fat chick out. LOL!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    You know what you guys, I am going to the weight room today and ask a personal trainer for help instead of the other men in there. I feel more comfortable asking someone who works there anyways!
    I'm so glad to hear this! The answer to the feeling you got is not to skulk away and avoid the hard stuff, but to confront it head-on and use it as an opportunity to get tougher. You win today! :happy:

Yup, I feel kinda better now based on everyone's opinions. Not going to hesitate anymore to go there. If that man bugs me again I am going to be like no I dont need help lol.

But you obviously did need help. You said it yourself.
  • jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You know what you guys, I am going to the weight room today and ask a personal trainer for help instead of the other men in there. I feel more comfortable asking someone who works there anyways!
    I'm so glad to hear this! The answer to the feeling you got is not to skulk away and avoid the hard stuff, but to confront it head-on and use it as an opportunity to get tougher. You win today! :happy:

Yup, I feel kinda better now based on everyone's opinions. Not going to hesitate anymore to go there. If that man bugs me again I am going to be like no I dont need help lol.

But you obviously did need help. You said it yourself.

Yeah I know but I was able to take one 45 lb plate off on my own. It just took a while.
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    Just keep working at it. Who cares what others think??....just do your thing girl! Don't be afraid to ask those meatheads for help....they would be glad to help a beautiful damsel in distress. Before you know it you will be tossing those 45lb plates around like they are frisbees! :-)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would think he meant he couldn't take watching you struggle because of somebody else's rudeness. It is rude to leave 45# plates on the barbell. Next time say thank you and move on. Or, you could ask for assistance to begin with.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ignore his lack of social skills and get back in there. My workout partner is 5', I'm 5'10". I rerack most of her weights because she can't lift them to the height required to actually get them off where they're racked. Today I had to pull down the lat bar for her to do her exercise and she commented "I was standing on the seat and couldn't get it" and we laughed a little. It's all about helping and approach. You can do it!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it. Who cares what others think??....just do your thing girl! Don't be afraid to ask those meatheads for help....they would be glad to help a beautiful damsel in distress. Before you know it you will be tossing those 45lb plates around like they are frisbees! :-)

Yep. I'm a sucker. I'd rack plates for you all day long.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I probably would be emberrased too. Because obviously he was looking at you struggle. It was nice of him to lend you a hand, but he should have said it differently. And not made you feel like a weak little girl.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Ehh, we had a lady at our gym try to take off a 100lb plate from a leg press a few weeks ago, it threw her forward and dropped her...stay safe OP.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    He didn't have to say anything other than "may I help you with those weights," but offering to help was the right thing to do.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You were unsure. You were struggling. He helped you. He was a guy in the middle of a workout. When I'm in the middle of a workout I'm probably not the most diplomatic person either

But let me give you another perspective: I work in a doctors office. I have seen the x-rays of a foot shattered into a million pieces by a 45 pound plate. The foot of an experienced bodybuilder. This situation could have been a whole lot worse had he not offered his help. I'm really sorry your ego was bruised.
  • Happy_10yr
    Happy_10yr Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It was nice of him to help you but his social skills are lacking, to say the least.

Great point!!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    You were unsure. You were struggling. He helped you. He was a guy in the middle of a workout. When I'm in the middle of a workout I'm probably not the most diplomatic person either

But let me give you another perspective: I work in a doctors office. I have seen the x-rays of a foot shattered into a million pieces by a 45 pound plate. The foot of an experienced bodybuilder. This situation could have been a whole lot worse had he not offered his help. I'm really sorry your ego was bruised.

/thread
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well usually I do not let it get to that point, I ask for help. I am not embarrassed to do so. The other day I had issues with a 50lb weight to lift it up about chest high back onto the rack, but my arns were just wore out... I asked a guy to help, and he was happy to do so... I learned a long time ago when I was 380lbs not to let the little things like those comments bother me too much ... and now days at 165 I could care less. Mostly they will help... maybe he could have said it nicer... but then he is a guy.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he was just tryin to be funny. I probably woulda said the same thing.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The rude person is whoever left those plates on a barbell that a lot of different people need to use. I can't safely remove the larger plates from the barbell.by myself.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I think one of two things were happening here. He was watching you struggle, and was trying to find a way to help you and not have it be awkward as many others hav stated.

The other option was he was needing to get to his squats, and didn't have the patience to wait for you to struggle with the plates.

It's hard to tell without tone of voice. If he said it jocularly, I would lean towards the former. If he said it grumpily, I would tend towards the latter/

Either way, I am guessing he wasn't trying to be insulting, and scare you away. You should totally keep going. Someday, you can help him unload his bar in return.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I might be embarrassed that I was struggling, but I wouldn't be offended because someone helped me.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The rude person is whoever left those plates on a barbell that a lot of different people need to use. I can't safely remove the larger plates from the barbell.by myself.

That's what I was thinking too.