Young kid at the gym

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ice cream after a workout? Are you qualified and experienced enough to help?

Seriously, what are you talking about. A fat kid leaves the gym after a piss poor workout and then eats ice cream and you see this as OK?

Yes, more than experienced, but thanks for checking..

I thought you were interested in a legitimate discussion. Never mind. Good luck in all your endeavors.
  • jasminecandle
    Options
    Personally, I would ask him if he'd like help. If he does..go for it. If he tells you no...let him crash and burn.
    I'd do this as well.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ice cream after a workout? Are you qualified and experienced enough to help?

This!
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options
    A mixed bag of thoughts and reviews.

Contrary to most opinions, he is working out badly, he is not supersetting, doing any sort of cardio routine.

FFS what is the point in asking questions on here?

Nice to see there are a few decent replies to the OP

Whatever your thoughts, mine is that eating an ice cream (feast) after the gym is not good practice
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    What's it to you? Is it interfering with your goals or workout? Why is it so important for YOU to correct him?

Also there is nothing wrong with eating ice cream after the gym, in fact it is the best time.

If it bother's you so much ask if he would like some tips and stop losing your *kitten* over it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is the duty of the staff to coach him on how to properly use equipment and exercise, then speak to a manager. Personally, and I know this sounds cruel, I wouldn't both stressing over it.

NOPE.

This is often (at a larger gym) a huge misconception.

Trainers are paid to train- paying clients.

Front desk people- they are just front desk people. Unless you pay for a gym that INCLUDES the cost of trainers- most of them are likely paid PER CLIENT. Which isn't much.

If the opportunity happens to open itself- by all means- coach away- point him in the right direction. But don't expect people who are paid to help paying clients to go out of their way to help others. How many times have you heard on here "a trainer walked up to me...."

double standard much?

Think you may have misread what I typed. Depending on the gym, as you also clarified, there may be staff there for the purpose of explaining how to use different equipment ; often in addition to staff, there are trainers that will offer services if paid for. Hence why I said, speak to the Manager.

Less hostility, more positivity! :)

it's possible- but most gyms that isn't the case.

(not being snarky or cranky- just making observations)

I dislike people walking up to me- unless it's someone I KNOW knows what they are doing- I can't stand it. It's rare people do- but I'm absolutely willing to take advice from folks I know know things. Otherwise I tell them to shove off.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options

Contrary to most opinions, he is working out badly, he is not supersetting, doing any sort of cardio routine.

Whatever your thoughts, mine is that eating an ice cream (feast) after the gym is not good practice

What is the difference between eating ice cream before a workout, just after a workout or later in the day?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Man I come across this all the time in my gym. Guys that are there just to be there, and have very little concept of what they are doing or what their goals are. I just leave them alone personally.

The only time I have stepped in is if I see a new lifter trying squats or deadlifts with bad form. I don't think it's rude or inappropriate to help someone out whose rounding their back and/or obviously and repeatedly looking like they are going to really hurt themselves.

If you're going to step in though, you probably shouldn't expect to train the kid. Instead, have a good book in mind and suggest it to him. Say something like "Hey, you mind? Are you a beginner? I thought I might suggest a book..." and leave it to him.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself at the gym. If you notice what people are or aren't doing in the gym, you're doing it wrong.

Utter nonsense mate...

If you're lifting hard, I assure you, you won't have time to be counting that some kid is doing 100 reps. My bet is that you're in no better shape than the poor kid you're trying to help.

When you actually focus on your own workout, you will look like this
    <<-

Which you don't. Nuff' said.

ROFL. This guy is a joke. With a post like this... it's more like you're too busy looking at yourself to notice anyone else.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is younger than me and doing something completely different from what I would do, I do not assume they are doing it wrong. I just assume they are younger than me and may have newer knowledge or techniques. Also that they may have different goals. Also that they may just simply like ice cream.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    A couple of thoughts ....

1). If he is a kid - implying that he's under 18 - I'd watch yourself. As you don't work for the gym, you could actually get yourself in some serious trouble. As a minor, it's his parents and/or the gym's (depending on their policies) responsibility to be monitoring him.

2). If you have time to watch him bust out 100 reps on anything...what the heck are you doing with your gym time? Focus on yourself.

3). Are the random sets/reps/weights helping him? Maybe, maybe not.... But are they hurting him? Also, maybe, maybe not. I grant you from what you're saying it sounds like he doesn't have a clue...but that doesn't mean YOU are qualified to correct him.

4). Again assuming that he's a kid, aka under 18, shouldn't we all be grateful that he has gotten up and going to the gym AT ALL instead of sitting on his butt all day playing video games? Look at any program designated towards kids, perhaps NFL Play 60. The whole point of the program is getting kids up and moving/playing for 60 minutes a day. It doesn't matter if they're jumping rope, playing soccer, or what...as long as they're up an moving!

5). Did I mention pay attention to your own workout? Good gosh

^^ This.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is the duty of the staff to coach him on how to properly use equipment and exercise, then speak to a manager. Personally, and I know this sounds cruel, I wouldn't both stressing over it.

NOPE.

This is often (at a larger gym) a huge misconception.

Trainers are paid to train- paying clients.

Front desk people- they are just front desk people. Unless you pay for a gym that INCLUDES the cost of trainers- most of them are likely paid PER CLIENT. Which isn't much.

If the opportunity happens to open itself- by all means- coach away- point him in the right direction. But don't expect people who are paid to help paying clients to go out of their way to help others. How many times have you heard on here "a trainer walked up to me...."

double standard much?

Think you may have misread what I typed. Depending on the gym, as you also clarified, there may be staff there for the purpose of explaining how to use different equipment ; often in addition to staff, there are trainers that will offer services if paid for. Hence why I said, speak to the Manager.

Less hostility, more positivity! :)

it's possible- but most gyms that isn't the case.

(not being snarky or cranky- just making observations)

I dislike people walking up to me- unless it's someone I KNOW knows what they are doing- I can't stand it. It's rare people do- but I'm absolutely willing to take advice from folks I know know things. Otherwise I tell them to shove off.

All gyms, most gyms, some gyms: there is someone there who can show you how to properly use the equipment. Thinking or saying otherwise is simply ignorant.
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OP , I think your intention (to help) was clear by what you first wrote. I think if you are worried about the haphazard and possibly dangerous workout you perceived him doing then speak to one of the PTs / other gym stafto get them to watch him and have a word with him. Unfortunately, if you were to do this yourself, you might be misconstrued as creepy if he is very young. If he was my kid, I would want someone to look out for him if he was putting himself in danger and I think it is a kind and empathetic gesture to be paying attention to others' safety in the way you have been. I do think you should ignore the ice cream consumption. That's not dangerous, and it might fit into his goals. If not, he might change that habit with time.
  • JoRocka
    Options

All gyms, most gyms, some gyms: there is someone there who can show you how to properly use the equipment. Thinking or saying otherwise is simply ignorant.

of course there are- you are surrounded by people who know how to use them- you can ask a random stranger if you like.

I actually happen to work at a gym- and while I know the trainers will help if you ask (when they aren't busy training paying clients) they are not going to go out of their way to help someone. They don't get paid for it- they don't get paid to be available to the general populous. Sure they will help and be polite as needed- and as requested by either a member or part of the sales staff... but it is not their job to walk around and explain chit to people who don't know what they are doing.

All they are going to do is laugh at them from behind the desk.

Yes- there are SOME gyms- where the trainers are there for everyone- usually a smaller private style gym- with training that comes as PART OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP FEES. But you are paying for it- there for the trainers on staff are getting paid to be there helping. But that's a different ball of wax.

I never said there weren't people there who COULDN'T"T explain it- of course there are people there who know about that stuff- you are right thinking so would be silly- even I have explained stuff to people before- but what i'm saying is being capable of explaining something is completely different than walking around correcting people who are doing really bad workouts.

Saying all trainers do is walk around and correct people when they aren't getting paid to do so: thinking or saying otherwise is simply ignorant.
  • BattleTaxi
    Options

Saying all trainers do is walk around and correct people when they aren't getting paid to do so: thinking or saying otherwise is simply ignorant.

Except that isn't what I said, failtroll.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Talk to the gym manager and find out if it'd be possible for you to purchase a PT session as a gift for the kid... a sort of "WTG" with a cash value that puts the responsibility on #1 the kid to use it and #2 the trainer to teach him proper form. Otherwise? I wouldn't suggest appraoching him personally or giving tips on form unless you're a licensed and insured PT.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't approach a stranger at the gym unsolicited, but if you truly thought he was in danger of seriously hurting himself using poor form, I certainly wouldn't think less of you for warning him about it. That being said, if you just think his workouts are ineffective I'd leave it alone, and I certainly wouldn't bring up a strangers eating habits.
  • JoRocka
    Options

and what you tried to imply I SAID wasn't what I said.

I'm not trolling in the least- I'm merely pointing out that there is this huge misconception that trainers should walk around and correct people who are ate up. EVERY SINGLE TIME there is a question of "I saw this person doing X, Y, Z... should I say something" - many people say "let the staff/trainers say something- mind your own business" I'm only saying- SIMPLE saying- or at least I thought simple but you seem to not be grasping this concept- is that they aren't going to do it.

There is a HUGE double standard that people always say "tell a trainer to do" or "let a trainer or gym staffer do take it up on themselves" and then they turn around screaming- "trainer walked up to me and said "i'm a trainer- you're doing it wrong" and they had no idea what they were talking about (another soap box)

it's a liability issue. no trainer is going to approach someone who isn't an actual client. neither is a staff member unless they are doing something BLATANTLY insanely dangerous- and that's got to be insanely dangerous- usually something that is dangerous more for the people around rather than the actual idiot doing whatever they are doing.

So saying "let the gym say something" is not an accurate or correct answer- unless you are going to a small private owned gym where you are paying to have trainers there all the time to correct you and work with you- the staff and trainers ARE NOT GOING TO ADDRESS A PROBLEM LIKE THIS.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

that's all I'm saying. I didn't say they didn't know HOW- or COULDN'T"T. I'm just saying
    1. it's a liability
    2. they aren't paid to do so
  • BattleTaxi
    Options

and what you tried to imply I SAID wasn't what I said.

I'm not trolling in the least- I'm merely pointing out that there is this huge misconception that trainers should walk around and correct people who are ate up. EVERY SINGLE TIME there is a question of "I saw this person doing X, Y, Z... should I say something" - many people say "let the staff/trainers say something- mind your own business" I'm only saying- SIMPLE saying- or at least I thought simple but you seem to not be grasping this concept- is that they aren't going to do it.

There is a HUGE double standard that people always say "tell a trainer to do" or "let a trainer or gym staffer do take it up on themselves" and then they turn around screaming- "trainer walked up to me and said "i'm a trainer- you're doing it wrong" and they had no idea what they were talking about (another soap box)

it's a liability issue. no trainer is going to approach someone who isn't an actual client. neither is a staff member unless they are doing something BLATANTLY insanely dangerous- and that's got to be insanely dangerous- usually something that is dangerous more for the people around rather than the actual idiot doing whatever they are doing.

So saying "let the gym say something" is not an accurate or correct answer- unless you are going to a small private owned gym where you are paying to have trainers there all the time to correct you and work with you- the staff and trainers ARE NOT GOING TO ADDRESS A PROBLEM LIKE THIS.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

that's all I'm saying. I didn't say they didn't know HOW- or COULDN'T"T. I'm just saying
    1. it's a liability
    2. they aren't paid to do so

I see what ya did there. ;P I do definitely agree with what you're saying, though! Unfortunately most people will plead ignorance and play the "shy" card. One thing I liked about the gym on campus when I was in college was how helpful other students were, people would take the initiative to assist another that looked like they may need it, people were willing to share equipment between sets, etc. Definitely don't see -that- in a lot of the other gyms I have been to! Ha!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

What is the difference between eating ice cream before a workout, just after a workout or later in the day?

MHO, dairy products right before a workout might make you sluggish. (At least it makes *me* feel sluggish.)