Spouses who don't share your fitness/nutrition goals

Options
13»

Replies

• sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ironically, I stopped talking about work years ago for the same reasons, which is why I turned to exercise to relieve stress from my demanding job.
    [/quote]

I think this says it all. I would keep working out and doing my thing. It seems evident that he would rather be your only thing.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think the toughness being given to the OP is a little harsh! I share EVERYTHING with my boyfriend of several years, and he shares everything with me (maybe not as thoroughly as someone with who understands the topic, but still). We make time to be interested in what the other has to say because it's something they're excited, happy, sad, annoyed, etc etc about. I couldn't imagine not having someone to share the stresses, struggles and successes of life with, completely, not just the parts they're interested in hearing about, so I understand where the OP is coming from wanting to share her fitness HOBBY with her husband. We all know wanting him to change is a completely different ball game and not something we can force upon another human being, but having your partner take interest in the life you have apart from them is nice. Imagine if you were a kid and you played soccer, and your parent didn't understand soccer so they never came to a game or helped you pick out new cleats - we could never imagine a loving, caring parent checking out and blatantly not caring about their child's loves! They would support them because of their unconditional love for them! I think the OP's husband turning a deaf ear to her is harsh, and she shouldn't have to walk on eggshells and block out that part of her around him. She can share it more extensively with others who are more passionate about it like her, but telling her to stop talking about it entirely is just sad for a relationship, imo.

I completely agree!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think the toughness being given to the OP is a little harsh! I share EVERYTHING with my boyfriend of several years, and he shares everything with me (maybe not as thoroughly as someone with who understands the topic, but still). We make time to be interested in what the other has to say because it's something they're excited, happy, sad, annoyed, etc etc about. I couldn't imagine not having someone to share the stresses, struggles and successes of life with, completely, not just the parts they're interested in hearing about, so I understand where the OP is coming from wanting to share her fitness HOBBY with her husband. We all know wanting him to change is a completely different ball game and not something we can force upon another human being, but having your partner take interest in the life you have apart from them is nice. Imagine if you were a kid and you played soccer, and your parent didn't understand soccer so they never came to a game or helped you pick out new cleats - we could never imagine a loving, caring parent checking out and blatantly not caring about their child's loves! They would support them because of their unconditional love for them! I think the OP's husband turning a deaf ear to her is harsh, and she shouldn't have to walk on eggshells and block out that part of her around him. She can share it more extensively with others who are more passionate about it like her, but telling her to stop talking about it entirely is just sad for a relationship, imo.

yes, this.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Stop talking about it !

Same thing happened at my house ...... I just did my own thing ......

Until the old bugger got diagnosed with diabetes & wound up with two cardiac stents ...... now he watches what he eats & in fact, is losing weight faster than I am :heart:

Gotta love 'em ....... or get a divorce :laugh:
  • DMArtestQB51
    Options
    I rarely say anything about my workouts just so I don't have resentment but deep inside I wish my wife would be more interested in what I'm doing. But it's no big deal. I'm just going to keep on trucking.
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    First off, I think it is impossible to assess OP and her relationship as a whole, because we are not there with her every day and don't see what actually goes on or doesn't go on, just based on this small blip of information.

Second, it depends on what level of distaste he feels for your fitness/diet. For example, my husband is not really interested in my fitness/goals, just like I'm not really interested in his guns. He still has his guns, but when he starts talking about them, my eyes glaze over. Vice versa. That doesn't mean we don't love each other and support each other's hobbies, but we try to find other people to talk about these things with, and we find other things to talk about that we share interest in.

If he is somehow hindering your progress or treats you badly when you try to be healthy/fit, that's wrong. If he just doesn't want to participate, I don't think there's anything you can do about it, and it may be wrong for his health, but from a relationship standpoint, it is not anything he's doing wrong. You two are just in different places about this issue.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Of course that would be better!

Well, what should she do then? She can't change the fact that he is not interested.

I certainly don't mean she should never share and she certainly should not walk around on egg shells and most certainly should not scale back or change her goals in effort to please him. My advise to her to not talk about it has nothing to do with not offending him or keeping him happy. It's about her achieving her goals, that shouldn't hinge on his interest or opinions.

She is not happy with his response, she can't change his response. She should do what she wants (and, for heaven sakes, not hide it or repress it), he doesn't have to like it or want it for himself. Talking about it more won't help. I think trying harder to get him interested will just make him all the less interested. That's all I'm saying.

TL:DR Of course it would be nice if they could happily share everything, at this point they can't and she shouldn't let that stop her.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    I think when people decide to get healthy and then do it they can become over-zealous and because they enjoy it so much and see the benefits they want the people they love to do the same... ex-smokers often do the same.

The problem is that you had to reach a certain point in your life in order to make those changes... if your other half is not in that place then by talking about it all the time it can sound preachy.

Can you remember being overweight or bigger and having someone tell you about their weightloss or exercise and feeling like what they were actually saying was "you're not good enough"?! It's not what is actually being said but it is what you hear?????

When it comes to not talking about work etc... That's a tale as old as time!!! I come home and tell my husband the ins and outs of my working day - he gets a blow by blow account, I'm lucky if he's vaguely listening! When I ask him how his day was I generally get a "fine" in return!!!

Have you always had different interests? Has he always been untalkative with you? If so he's not doing anything different - it's you that's changed not him! He might feel very left out now? After all before you probably spent your time at home with him, cooking and eating after work - now you're probably at the gym. I'm not making a judgement or suggesting you stop, just trying to see the other side.

In terms of health, you might not be able to get him to the gym but it's normally (HUGE assumption here guys sorry) the woman who does the home cooking. My husband eats what I cook mostly so is there a way you could control at least some of his eating habits??????

Having different interests does not an unhappy marriage make... Not talking about problems such as this does!!! Talk to him about it. My Mum once said to me never corner a man when he comes in from work, she told me to bring up issues like this and normally it works wonders... (not so much if he's done something really annoying such as not changed the empty toilet roll tube... I DON'T KNOW WHY HE DOES THAT :grumble: !)))))

"I really want to talk to you about something that I think is important, when do you think we could have a chat?" Sounds simple but you're giving him at least an element of control over the conversation... which a lot of men need I think!

If gone on a bit here sorry but seriously...TALK TO HIM!!!!!!!!!! I hope it works out for you.

Nicole xx
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am 66 years old and have lost 20 pounds.

My husband does not share my diet or exercise.
    He is underweight, so he does not have to worry.

Each morning I go for my walk, he sits in the garage and waits for me.
    He helps me with my logging with my diary.
    He is happy I have lost the weight I have.

My husband is 70 and has arthritis, so he has tried to walk with me, but we cannot walk more than 10 mins, or he is hurting.

So I will continue to exercise what I can.
    I also have arthritis in my hips and feet, but I don't let that deter me, I am determined.
    I am 1/2 pound from maintenance but I am going to continue to log.

I feel good with the weight I have lost and I do not plan to ever gain the pounds back.
    My husband loves ice cream so in the evening, when he is eating his big bowl of ice cream. I go in the den and work on my diary for the next day.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I had a long response to this, but MFP ate it. Long story short, if I had to listen to my husband talk to me about his fantasy football teams everyday or some other hobby I don't get, I would lose my mind. I have things that I enjoy that my husband doesn't want to hear about. That's why we have friends that we can share these things with. Not everyone is going to love the same thing.

You are making it sound like she isn't able to share her emotions with him at all.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I guess I was just lucky. The day I bought a treadmill desk my wife was upstairs walking on it a few hours after I got it set up just to play with it (and complain that the desk was too high ;) ). We both joined MFP on the same day, I have missed one day and she has missed zero. My big issue is that she can't follow my fitness routine and calorie pattern because while I could use the drop another 50 she could use to gain 5 or so (and this isn't from me her doctor has told her this). So at the moment we are sort of on warring paths but it works out.

A lifestyle change can certainly be hard when the person you share a life with isn't on board for the change. My wife and I have always been good at making these changes together. I cut 90% of the fried food out of my life about 8 years ago, my wife was all for it (I still have to have my french fries once a month or so). And other health changes we have made together have all been fine. Of course we already eat differently anyway as I am a vegetarian and she is not. But we don't clash over this, I was the only vegetarian in my family growing up so I am used to being the odd duck. In fact, if anything, I have been the slow one to the table on these. She started doing a lot more exercising a couple years ago and I was really slow to take that up.

Just remember either way, you always have the people online with funny names and odd pictures to help support you ;). Perhaps your hubby will come around, maybe he is just slow like me.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I may think differently than other posters here...

I agree that to each their own and everyone needs to do their own thing and be there own person. But I want my man and myself to make a life together. We are both overweight and both need to make lifestyle choices/changes and it is important to me that we do these things together. There are obvious reasons to this for the most part, mainly we eat together and we spend most of our free time together. But it does go deeper. I have a lot of weight to lose and some hard core lifestyle changes to make. I need his support not his derailment. I know that many people see it as something they need to do on their own and that's fine. But for myself, I need my fiance's support of my lifestyle changes and I want us to make healthier and better choices together, support each other, share in our hardships and successes.

I understand that not everyone wants the same, and I understand weight loss and fitness is touchy, but if you need support from your spouse, maybe you both could discuss ways that fit both of your lifestyles.

Now, my finace isn't my dumping ground, my girl friends, my journal, or my God. Though we are close and spend a lot of time together, there are certain things that I don't share with him because honestly, I get he doesn't care. I'm not talking about hobbies, or drama, or even crap at work (because he has his own crap). But for me, working out and eating healthy isn't a hobby...I mean it is no where near fun enough to be a hobby...but it is a necessity. I can't...well maybe I don't want to change my life and how I live it with a man who lives in an opposite direction. We are trying to change ourselves to be healthier, more active, live longer and start a family. We have to be on board with each other not derail the other person....
  • atibrat
    atibrat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been married 33 years and in these later years my husband does not like to talk much or listen much at all.
    At 55 he comes home from work, hits the couch, grabs the remote and off into TV land.

I know it is not all men but I believe most (do not like to talk about things the way most woman do). I heard Dr. Oz once say
    something about if you want to tell a man something and you want him to pay attention try to put it into 5 words.

I see someone posted that a boyfriend of years, oh yes the boyfriend stage - very attentive at that stage and the first 5 to 10 years of the marriage also.

My husband is not interested in eating healthier but when I cook if it taste good he eats it. We just don't talk much about now I use ground turkey instead of hamburger and the chicken is always baked. If it taste good he does not need to know of all the healthy swaps I have made over the years. What a battle to get him from whole milk down to 1% but it happened. I just started buying 2% and let him complain and after awhile it was 1% and now he is use to it. He has no idea that he eats flaxseed in many of his meals :)

Is there a chance that he may not be happy at the idea of you doing work in a gym type environment? I am sure he would never admit to that but could that be a reason he is not on board?

I don't know about others but after all these years I have learned if I make a big deal about some life style change he will rebel but if I just quietly fit it in I rarely hear him complain. As far as exercise sometimes I set the remote across the room and he will walk over to get it LOL

I think it is rare that 2 people who share a lifetime are always going to be interested or into what the other person is but don't let that stop you from what you need to do for yourself.

I have to add that while yes trying to be healthier is very important you have to look at your lives together and evaluate what you do share and have in common. My husband is always there and supportive when it really counts. I have lupus and am sick often and he is always at my side for doctors appointments, diagnostics tests, he picks up my prescriptions and picks up items at the store when I am too sick to go. If he doesn't want to exercise with me I can do that on my own or find a friend who does enjoy it. We may not always be on the same track with eating and exercise but he is always there by my side when it really counts.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have been married 33 years and in these later years my husband does not like to talk much or listen much at all.
    At 55 he comes home from work, hits the couch, grabs the remote and off into TV land.

I know it is not all men but I believe most (do not like to talk about things the way most woman do). I heard Dr. Oz once say
    something about if you want to tell a man something and you want him to pay attention try to put it into 5 words.

I see someone posted that a boyfriend of years, oh yes the boyfriend stage - very attentive at that stage and the first 5 to 10 years of the marriage also.

My husband is not interested in eating healthier but when I cook if it taste good he eats it. We just don't talk much about now I use ground turkey instead of hamburger and the chicken is always baked. If it taste good he does not need to know of all the healthy swaps I have made over the years. What a battle to get him from whole milk down to 1% but it happened. I just started buying 2% and let him complain and after awhile it was 1% and now he is use to it. He has no idea that he eats flaxseed in many of his meals :)

Is there a chance that he may not be happy at the idea of you doing work in a gym type environment? I am sure he would never admit to that but could that be a reason he is not on board?

I don't know about others but after all these years I have learned if I make a big deal about some life style change he will rebel but if I just quietly fit it in I rarely hear him complain. As far as exercise sometimes I set the remote across the room and he will walk over to get it LOL

I think it is rare that 2 people who share a lifetime are always going to be interested or into what the other person is but don't let that stop you from what you need to do for yourself.

This
    Especially the last part, me and my hubby have been together 26 yrs he has always been supportive of my healthy lifestyle but was NOT on board though he lost 10 lbs just by me making healthier dinners recently after me doing mfp for 3 yrs and losing 115 lbs he joined mfp last month, he has even started walking and hiking with me. Hang in there you never know when he might take an interest but if not continue doing this for you.Find peopke on mfp that share your passion for living healthy and try to find something you and your husband can find that u both r interested in, i hope this helps..
  • hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hit that one on the NOSE! I'm appalled at the responses the OP is getting... and from WOMEN at that! Listen, if it bother's you enough to mention it, then it's obviously something thats important to you. And above all else, you deserve to have your feelings respected. Otherwise, you won't be happy being at home. Continue on your wonderful life journey, if he comes on board eventually, fan-freaking-tastic! If he doesn't, it's HIS health on the line not yours. Unfortunately, people like this need to reach a bad place in their lives to start heeding advice.

Congrats to you, OP, for taking the bull by the horns and gaining control of your life. Let your husband approach the bull however and whenever he wants. You have loads of people to talk to here on MFP and I'm sure you can find like-minded folk at your local gym to discuss your goals and aspirations with. Let him have conversations with his chips.

EP: Wanted to add FTR that my DH is neither for or against the choices I make. I never talk to him about my workouts or my goals because to him I am 'just right' and I don't need to lose any weight. But I know my body and I know what I need to do to get there. I just talk to my girlfriends or post on MFP if I need to vent.
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion...I believe being fit and healthy is a lifestyle, not just a hobby. It takes more than just a couple of hours out of my day to watch what I eat, plan my daily activities and participate in events that help me reach a PR. Especially when your passion for it is a stepping stone to a profession of it.

For years I was with someone who claimed they shared the same fitness interests goals as I did, but turned out to be stubborn and reluctant to be in any way supportive of me. My military career requires me to pass a physical fitness test and I was not doing so well since I didn't have any guidance in becoming healthy. Plus, I didn't have friends in my social circle that liked to work out. So after years of trying and becoming frustrated, I took a step back from asking my ex or any of my friends to go to the gym with me or try new and healthy foods. Soon, even I gave up on my work out schedule and my performance suffered. This lead to my career being in jeopardy, not to mention the relationship I thought I had. Fast forward a year later, subtract the ex and add a new look on life, I'm doing much better and mainly it is because I found someone who is very supportive of me and my goals in life. We are two completely different people with different capabilities and some interests, but our hearts are in the same place. Any differences in opinions, we discuss them openly and it all pans out.

This seems like more than just you gabbing on about working out, you want to pursue a career in fitness by applying for a certification. A career change is a big deal. You two need to discuss why he's so hesitant on being supportive of you. Yes, there are times where differences in people in a relationship don't need to be discussed, constant talk of work all of the time can bring negativity in your home but a lack in communication will lead to problems down the road. I also agree that it shouldn't be a big deal that he doesn't want to change his lifestyle, but there should be a compromise of some sort. Especially when you sacrificed your time to be a part of what his interests are, there should be a balance on his part too. If the mental and emotional support is lost in translation, this can lead to loss of interest in each other. Not to mention the physical attraction aspect of it. You two have made it 16 years, that doesn't mean you have to put your relationship on cruise control and just assume for the better when a problem comes up.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Lots of great advice and lots of different persepectives. I agree it's a lifestyle. The hobby part is getting certified so I can help others or teach classes part time because I love learning about health/fitness/nutrition. I have a full time career and am very vested and am definitely cannot or will not leave it. My husband was not "on board" mainly with certification, which hurt my feelings I suppose. He has never been on "board" with working out/eating healthy, but that was a side story. He's 40 this year and his father died when he was 40, hypercholesterolemia associated heart attack in his sleep, so yes, for our family...I do have a bit of an interest in his health. When we left the military we both let ourselves/bodies go, and I finally got into some fantastic classes years ago and started running regularly and just caught the fitness bug, and later started taking a serious look at my food intake. I've seen some fantastic transformations and would like to help others. I'm going to approach it lightly and talk to him about it, but delicately. After that, I will zip it and keep on, keeping on:). Again, thank you. This was all very helpful, and it's nice to hear from others in the same situation.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My husband was not "on board" mainly with certification, which hurt my feelings I suppose.

Does he not want you to do it or is he tired of hearing you talk about it? There's a difference.

If he doesn't want you to do it, is it because it takes your time away from him?

My SO is obsessed with weather and airplanes. He will literally interrupt me if I'm writing, reading a book, just about anything to INSIST I look at some airplane thing or weather thing or whatever it is that's fascinating him at that moment and be obnoxious about it if I don't drop what I'm doing and pay attention to HIS thing that doesn't interest me at all. If you're doing anything like that, I see your husband's point.

But if it's a matter of him wanting more of your time or something, you guys need to compromise. If he just doesn't care about what's happening in your life and mind, that's a bigger issue.
  • jphenderson
    Options
    "Do I scale back my workouts, not talk about fitness/nutrition at all with him? Ironically, I stopped talking about work years ago for the same reasons, which is why I turned to exercise to relieve stress from my demanding job." ..............

In my opinon, it doesn't sound like your excercise and fitness plans are the issue..... Do not scale back your plans, even if your husband is not on board. Without trying to sound like a motivational speaker, you need to keep moving forward, reaching for the top, hang on to your dreams... (ok. I sounded like a motivational speaker :tongue: ) The point is as far as we know, we only get one shot at life, so you need to do what makes you happy!

I am looking forward to hearing how successful you become with your fitness plans!!

J.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My husband was not "on board" mainly with certification, which hurt my feelings I suppose.

Does he not want you to do it or is he tired of hearing you talk about it? There's a difference.

If he doesn't want you to do it, is it because it takes your time away from him?

My SO is obsessed with weather and airplanes. He will literally interrupt me if I'm writing, reading a book, just about anything to INSIST I look at some airplane thing or weather thing or whatever it is that's fascinating him at that moment and be obnoxious about it if I don't drop what I'm doing and pay attention to HIS thing that doesn't interest me at all. If you're doing anything like that, I see your husband's point.

But if it's a matter of him wanting more of your time or something, you guys need to compromise. If he just doesn't care about what's happening in your life and mind, that's a bigger issue.

LOL. No, I'm not doing anything like that. He's the talker in the family...certainly not me.