A gastric band company to me put weight ON!

Options

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    GB or any other weight loss surgery doesn't stop binge eating. You need to solve that with the help of a counselor.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Wow, that really sucks. In the U.S. we have a lot of low cost therapy available to people who want/ need it. Surprised the UK does not have charitable groups that offer it, because we have them in every city here.

There is actually plenty of help in the UK, both the 'free' stuff via the NHS and via charities such as http://www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/

I'd also add that a gastric band costs around £4-5,000 to have done in the UK - that amount would pay for one hell of a lot of counselling, even if the op did choose to go private.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    This is what you're saying:
    I phoned the company back today and complained that I was told to "eat more, stop dieting and push my BMI up". They could not have been less interested. Instead the woman said at my BMI I needed a gastric balloon and they help loads of people with binge eating disorder and have "never once had a patient who has not lost weight". I doubt that as they do 1000s of surgeries a year. Horrible and unethical and has really put me off surgery

This is what I'm hearing:
    I am unhappy, emotionally unstable and desperate. I am convinced the only thing that will help me is bariatric surgery, but even those doctors don't want to help me either. Sure, I was once a drug addict, and now I have a binge eating disorder. But I don't feel those things are relevant to MY case -- I just think all my problems will magically disappear if I get this weight off of me. And even though many people have suggested I get help for my emotional issues, I have no desire to listen to them, or seek therapy because that would mean I would have to address the issues that got me to my present path, and I don't want to face them. So, I'll stick with finding a bariatric surgeon, keep everything else in my life unbalanced, and hope that surgery works for me."

Is that about right? Because that's where this conversation is going.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Alcoholic cake??

alcoholic foods are foods you cannot control. for example if I start an entire trifle or cake i end up eating the lot.
    Ive never heard it called this before... but the description is spot on... Im the same with trifle (i cant even stock it in the house for a little treat)
  • rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No not right and you sound like an idiot.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult for me because I have NEVER had a healthy relationship with food. From an early age my mum called me a fat cow leading me to be anorexic for years. Suddenly the anorexia stopped and the bingeing started. I really need psychological help. Am thinking of going to overeaters anonymous.

you need to seek counseling not a GB. if that is your child in your profile pic maybe you should consider getting yourself help for your child.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    No not right and you sound like an idiot.

I'm not the one with a past filled with dysfunction, addiction and emotional imbalance, thinking GBS will be the cure for ALL my ills.

You said those words, and that is what I heard. Resorting to calling someone an idiot for pointing out the truth is more proof that you need more than GBS to help you, but you won't listen.

Open your ears and your eyes.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I am desperate to stop bingeing and lose weight. I am losing weight with MFP but very slowly. I lose for 2 or 3 days then go on 2 day long binges. It is really getting me down.

have you explored why you do this? Have you looked at how you are dieting?

I found that I binged when I eliminated the foods I enjoy (wings, pizza, carbs, etc) and felt deprived. Once I started looking at fullfiling the nutritional requirements for healthy eating and working the foods I love into my weight loss efforts I quit binging.

Granted some people have a deeper reason that they turn to food and binge and you may need to look at talking to someone if you can't figure it out on your own.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am desperate to stop bingeing and lose weight. I am losing weight with MFP but very slowly. I lose for 2 or 3 days then go on 2 day long binges. It is really getting me down.

people binge on the GB with severe consequences. maybe learn some will power and self control before taking overly drastic measures.

+1 on this ^

So far you've been anorexic, bipolar, a drug addict and a binge eater? And you have children?

Just trying to get it straight.....
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Make a list of your binge triggers. Don't eat them ever again. Not a sliver. Not a slice. Not if it's a special occasion. Never.

There will come a time where these foods don't hold power over you.

Wisdom.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    OK I reread the op and have something else:
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).
    I'm no doctor but I'd suggest a psychiatrist before WLS

Psychiatrist? They are the worst offenders. Please seek a therapist that is not too main-stream and will not recommend ridiculous medications and give you ridiculous diagnosis. You do not have a disease you just have an overeating issue and you need to recognize that it is your fault, you put food in your mouth nobody forced it down your throat. You have proven to yourself with your 16pounds weight loss that this is not a disease and it a matter or control. The sooner you stop blaming your eating habits on a "disease" the better.

With that said, I You do not need GP.

You don't have much experience with mental health issues, and that is okay, you're young. But the advice that you just gave the OP could kill her. Think before you type.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).

This exactly, the surgery is not going to make you stop binging
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Fix your mind and your heart... the rest will fall into place. most companies have employee programs that will allow you to see a councilor. I used to think that when i lost the weight all my emotional eating issues would go away, but they didn't and i gained all the weight back. now i'm fighting to lose it the right way. trust me, your mind and heart need fixing first.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing, but she beat me to it. I know of at least 2 people who had the surgery, initially lost weight, but because they never addressed their initial relationship with food and the binges, a good bit of the weight came back over time. I know another woman who went from the 300's to about 105. She looks like a walking skeleton, older, age version of herself and I've only ever seen her eat garbage. Getting the surgery isn't going to magically want you to stop craving Doritos or chocolate.
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My sister is a binge eater (and drinker), and she had lap band surgery a few years ago. She initially lost 50 lbs, then regained most of it because she didn't address the issue of WHY she ate. She has finally been seeing a psychiatrist and is now losing again because she is developing a new relationship with food. It took nearly five years after the surgery, but she is now fixing her head. Our family wishes she had done this BEFORE she had the surgery. Please consider this.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Have you considered seeing someone who specializes in eating disorders? At BMI 29 you aren't dangerously overweight. But binge eating is a sign that there are other problems going on in your life.

Isn't it preferable to cure your problem without surgery? Try talking to someone about curing your eating disorder without all the pain and risk of surgery (and one that doesn't even work, at that).

I agree!! Your've already lost weight, so you CAN do it. Getting a band when you have a binge-eating disorder could be deadly!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My sister is a binge eater (and drinker), and she had lap band surgery a few years ago. She initially lost 50 lbs, then regained most of it because she didn't address the issue of WHY she ate. She has finally been seeing a psychiatrist and is now losing again because she is developing a new relationship with food. It took nearly five years after the surgery, but she is now fixing her head. Our family wishes she had done this BEFORE she had the surgery. Please consider this.

Good for your sister!!! Tell her congrats!!
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your problem is not eating , but your mental health.

Before it was drug and now is food , if you continue this way you will just transfer your addictive personality to something else.

You need to forget about the company and focus all the energy into finding some professional help in the mental health department.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Psychiatrist? They are the worst offenders. Please seek a therapist that is not too main-stream and will not recommend ridiculous medications and give you ridiculous diagnosis. You do not have a disease you just have an overeating issue and you need to recognize that it is your fault, you put food in your mouth nobody forced it down your throat. You have proven to yourself with your 16pounds weight loss that this is not a disease and it a matter or control. The sooner you stop blaming your eating habits on a "disease" the better.

You don't have much experience with mental health issues, and that is okay, you're young. But the advice that you just gave the OP could kill her. Think before you type.

Father is a pharmacist, sister is in med school, mother is RN, cousins are medical doctors and pharmacists and I am in the medical field so yea I don't know what I am saying.

You saying that my advice could kill the OP is an ignorant, inflammatory and uncalled for tatement to make. Please educate yourself in this issue. If you don't know where to start you can start by reading a book called "Toxic Psychiatry" by Dr. Peter Breggin M.D. He is a Harvard educated Psychiatrist and have been in the field for 50 years.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Father is a pharmacist, sister is in med school, mother is RN, cousins are medical doctors and pharmacists and I am in the medical field so yea I don't know what I am saying.

You saying that my advice could kill the OP is an ignorant, inflammatory and uncalled for tatement to make. Please educate yourself in this issue. If you don't know where to start you can start by reading a book called "Toxic Psychiatry" by Dr. Peter Breggin M.D. He is a Harvard educated Psychiatrist and have been in the field for 50 years.

I think the problem with your advice is that it completely ignores the OP's admittedly addictive personality and generally f-ed up relationship with food. She traded one addiction for another, and if you've dealt with eating disorders, mental health disorders, and/or addiction issues at all, then you'd know that it's not just about self-control, but that the underlying disorders need to be addressed. Her BED, BPD, and addictions aren't "ridiculous diagnoses." The issues are so blatant and obvious that even the laypeople here can see it.

Also, your very book recommendation proves that not every Psychiatrist is evil, considering you said yourself that it was written by a Psychiatrist.