800-1,000 cal BURN

Options
12345679»

Replies

• MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In a decent 60 minute Zumba session I can burn around 600 calories. In a tougher class I can burn closer to 700 calories.
    I go to a 90 minute class and burn around 1,000 each time. I have hit 1,100 in that class before.

This is all according to my HRM that I am pretty sure is accurate. I tend to subtract 100 calories.
    I am 5'6 and 165 lbs.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm a distance runner. I also have a weirdly high heart rate when I'm exercising, so I can easily burn 1000 calories going for a 6 mile run. You should see what I burn when I do a half marathon.. It's kind of ridiculous.

People burn calories differently because there are so many variables. Weight, heart rate, overall fitness level, height.. Those all affect caloric burn.

Not to mention, MFP lumps them all together, so there are days when I can burn 800 total from several different activities, but it looks like I burned it all at one time.

Same here, when running, my heart rate remains around 87-94% of my max, depending on hills, and pretty close to that on the elliptical too.
    I run about 4 and half miles and burn anywhere between 700 to 800 calories. I am just slightly under 200lbs.
    I'm in the upper 220s and run 4-4.5 miles and burn 700-850 calories in 50-60 minutes at 80-90% max HR. I've done countless calculations and adjusted my HRM properly (because of my OCD) so I highly doubt these numbers are inflated). I don't eat them back anyway because I'm doing TDEE, and I'm consistently losing.

Plus, why are there constantly posts about how many calories other people are burning? I don't understand why everyone is so worried about what other people are doing. Worry about yourself?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm a distance runner. I also have a weirdly high heart rate when I'm exercising, so I can easily burn 1000 calories going for a 6 mile run. You should see what I burn when I do a half marathon.. It's kind of ridiculous.

People burn calories differently because there are so many variables. Weight, heart rate, overall fitness level, height.. Those all affect caloric burn.

Not to mention, MFP lumps them all together, so there are days when I can burn 800 total from several different activities, but it looks like I burned it all at one time.

Same here, when running, my heart rate remains around 87-94% of my max, depending on hills, and pretty close to that on the elliptical too.
    I run about 4 and half miles and burn anywhere between 700 to 800 calories. I am just slightly under 200lbs.
    I'm in the upper 220s and run 4-4.5 miles and burn 700-850 calories in 50-60 minutes at 80-90% max HR. I've done countless calculations and adjusted my HRM properly (because of my OCD) so I highly doubt these numbers are inflated). I don't eat them back anyway because I'm doing TDEE, and I'm consistently losing.

Plus, why are there constantly posts about how many calories other people are burning? I don't understand why everyone is so worried about what other people are doing. Worry about yourself?

Good point! :smile:
  • kokorae
    kokorae Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How long did you do zumba to burn 1100 cals?
  • kokorae
    kokorae Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think people are asking what people are doing to burn all these calories so that they can do the same! lol. If I'm killing myself burning only 100-200 cals for an hour workout, you bet your *kitten* I'm gonna ask what someone else is doing to burn 1000. I want to burn those kind of numbers myself!
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    OOOO MMM GGGGG

I KNOW!!! I use a hr monitor but even then I have gotten in 1000 cal burns which include 100+ minutes of intense cardio including running eliptical and a spin class...
    I see so many people over estimating their burns!! For example 600 calories burned cleaning the house???? HAHAHAHA that is a flipping joke!!!!
    I bought my HR monitor for 20 bucks at a sporting good store. This week I have a plan to burn a total of 3,500 calories...which includes hours and hours of cardio...
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Only time i get to 800 calories for a burn is when I run eight miles. I get a 1000 calorie burn when I run 10 miles. But I can't do either of those in a hour. :)

Ditto this...I ran 8 miles a few days ago and burned around 850 calories. It took me over an hour to run though. I've got a couple friends on here that log 1,000 plus burns, but they're exercising for 3+ hours.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my HRM to do anything but workout and cut the grass (yes pushing a lawn mower in my yard is a workout and it's done once a week)

I don't count my normal day to day activities like cleaning or grocery shopping.. (that stuff didn't count before so it isn't going to count now..

Today I burned 1089 calories total

T25- 220 27 minutes
    Zumba - 485 55 minutes
    Cut the grass with a push mower 384 41 minutes

Total minutes- 123

It is possible to burn the calories in a day. You also have to take into count the intensity someone is doing as well as their fitness level.. it is actually harder for someone fitter to burn calories they have to kick up the intensity compared to a person new to fitness who isn't used to pushing themselves..
  • guif
    guif Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Circuit training for me, 45 minutes of circuit training alone is right at 500 calories, then do 30 min on elliptical, or zumba, and POW it is a thousand Kcal gone.. bad part don't start staring at your scales that much activity also builds lean muscle, you need to start measuring to see how big the difference really is. In this month alone I lost 5 inches off my waist and 4 off my hips. :bigsmile: but I only 'lost' six pounds.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    if that's a current picture of you, it looks like you don't weigh very much. it's very hard to get a very high calorie burn when you don't weigh much but the more you weigh the more you burn. Someone who weighs in the 200 range could get a 800-1200 calorie burn without too much issue.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Like many posters have said, it frequently will simply come down to a)how much the person weighs and b)what their fitness level is.

ETA:

I don't have too much trouble burning 1000 calories in a day- but that usually involves working out pretty hard for an hour to an hour and a half in the mornings, and then going for power-walk in the evenings. In total, it will take me about two to two and a half hours to get there. There was a point, when I was about fifty pounds heavier, where I could get to 1000 calories in a far shorter amount of time, because my weight was higher and my endurance wasn't all that great. I'm sure that, even a couple months from now, I'll have to work MUCH harder than I do now to get to 1000 calories.