Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    "unsignificant" ??
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That's "insignificent" and "intended".... unless you like looking illiterate. Yes, proper spelling is important!! Many people, if not most, will automatically discount things in writing if the spelling and punctuation are substandard. Don't believe me? Try submitting a job resume full of misspellings, see what happens.....

That's "insignificent" and "intended".... unless you like appearing illiterate. You only need one space between sentences. Yes, proper spelling is important! Just one exclamation point, please. Many people, if not most, will automatically discount things in writing if the spelling and punctuation are substandard. Don't believe me? Try submitting a job resume full of misspellings. Run-on sentence See what happens.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Good grammar is sexy.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    That's "insignificent" and "intended".... unless you like looking illiterate. Yes, proper spelling is important!! Many people, if not most, will automatically discount things in writing if the spelling and punctuation are substandard. Don't believe me? Try submitting a job resume full of misspellings, see what happens.....

That's "insignificent" and "intended".... unless you like appearing illiterate. You only need one space between sentences. Yes, proper spelling is important! Just one exclamation point, please. Many people, if not most, will automatically discount things in writing if the spelling and punctuation are substandard. Don't believe me? Try submitting a job resume full of misspellings. Run-on sentence See what happens.

I was always taught to put two spaces after a sentence.
  • rml_16
    Options

That was the case for about 10 years in the 1970s and 1980s and it had to do with typewirter font. It is no longer acceptable.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Thiss thred pises me of so bad.
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    and on that note i had to share...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgLwQ_uhxCgZNB0lPoLM-wRIBs5E72YGydyllFdYSY6bPBqNB5

Hahahahahaha. I'm done.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

That was the case for about 10 years in the 1970s and 1980s and it had to do with typewirter font. It is no longer acceptable.

Wait a second...

...no longer acceptable or no longer required...

...because I'm almost certain that it is entirely acceptable.

Runs off to LMGTFM it myself...
  • rml_16
    Options

Wait a second...

Nope. No longer acceptable.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Wait a second...

Okay, I'm back.

I feel like I just learned a beloved pet of mine had died. I had no idea the double-space had fallen so far out of favor.

That said, I disagree with your conclusion that it is no longer "acceptable" as the MLA seems very clear:
    "As a practical matter, however, there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise."

I had stopped using the double-space after a colon years ago in what I thought was defiance against ridiculously outdated rules, completely oblivious that what I thought was rebellion was actually compliance.

*sigh*

I'm going to need a moment here.
  • rml_16
    Options

Wait a second...

Okay, I'm back.

I feel like I just learned a beloved pet of mine had died. I had no idea the double-space had fallen so far out of favor.

That said, I disagree with your conclusion that it is no longer "acceptable" as the MLA seems very clear:
    "As a practical matter, however, there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise."

I had stopped using the double-space after a colon years ago in what I thought was defiance against ridiculously outdated rules, completely oblivious that what I thought was rebellion was actually compliance.

*sigh*

Pretty much outside of a college classroom, MLA means nothing. And it is only one of many, many styles. The others state clearly DO NOT USE more than one space after a period. You'll find few college professors these days accepting of it, either.

It really isn't acceptable. But a lot of people still do it, as that was what they learned. I learned that, too. I had to unlearn it. We had a great layout program at my first newspaper that removed any extra spaces so you didn't have to think about it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Wait a second...

Okay, I'm back.

*sigh*

Pretty much outside of a college classroom, MLA means nothing. And it is only one of many, many styles. The others state clearly DO NOT USE more than one space after a period. You'll find few college professors these days accepting of it, either.

It really isn't acceptable. But a lot of people still do it, as that was what they learned. I learned that, too. I had to unlearn it. We had a great layout program at my first newspaper that removed any extra spaces so you didn't have to think about it.

Based on my (admittedly biased) research...(and I use that term loosely for what was actually a five-minute search)...I do not believe the consensus is as absolute as you would have us believe. Several prominent associations (including the APA) still prescribe a two spaces after concluding punctuation. And there is evidence for this standard that pre-date the typewriter...

...so just because you and some of your highfalutin publisher-types may *wish* two spaces were not acceptable, that does not simply make it so...

...at least not yet.

(But even if you *are* correct, stop. Just stop. I'm not read to deal with this amount of change in my life right now.)

ETA: This feels much like an argument between a snowboarder and a skier.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    OKOKOK I is back i knowed i falled down on the job, howevar I is backed!!!

english-grammar-on-signs-13.jpg
    slide_21598_269193_large.jpg
    WORST-Grammar-Mistakes-5.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf5NAyZisNtAlVlyRBgRHMykS1NuwKQExRJR2_gTlN4e2mpUzS
    1339528351739826.jpg
    r-FUNNY-SPELLING-MISTAKES-large570.jpg?6
    funny-batman-slap-Robin-spelling.jpg
    grammar-peeves.jpg
    signs-funny-meat-10.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options
    ...so just because you and some of your highfalutin publisher-types may *wish* two spaces were not acceptable, that does not simply make it so...

...at least not yet.

(But even if you *are* correct, stop. Just stop. I'm not read to deal with this amount of change in my life right now.)

You do whatever you need to do. :-)

I will sit here and judge you.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Some-People-Just-Really-008.jpg
    Autocorrect-Fail-Funny-Text-Messages-Blog-Funny-Text-Messages-Meme-SMS-LOL-apple-Iphone-cellphon562.jpg
    Drunk-Grammar-Nazi-Text.jpg
    Best-reply-to-bad-grammar.png
    Autocorrect-Fail-Funny-Text-Messages-Blog-Funny-Text-Messages-Meme-SMS-LOL-apple-Iphone-cellphon268.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8Zt3DCTa74QICM5nMFKQ6-JU0XYZvmFYy8uVH12n8If0T94CX
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

...at least not yet.

:angry:
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options

...at least not yet.

Here is a long article explaining what she's going on about, but I'm sorry, I'm with you. Two spaces not only feels right, it looks right... to me. And I have a hard time believing it is now *widely* considered a violation on par with serious spelling and usage errors. This is the first rant I've seen about it and I work with people who handle our publications and correct their coworkers in other departments all the time.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    One more thing: Don't expect people to read huge blocks of type. Create paragraphs with the "Enter" key.
    This x1000.

Paragraphs are your friends, people.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

...at least not yet.

Here is a long article explaining what she's going on about, but I'm sorry, I'm with you. Two spaces not only feels right, it looks right... to me. And I have a hard time believing it is now *widely* considered a violation on par with serious spelling and usage errors. This is the first rant I've seen about it and I work with people who handle our publications and correct their coworkers in other departments all the time.

Ha!

Take that, rml_16...

Read
    My
    Lips:

your wrong.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

...at least not yet.

Ha!

Take that, rml_16...

Read
    My
    Lips:

your wrong.

uuuummmmm....