Question to those who've had success.

Options
Did you ever feel fear that you were going to give up while on your journey? I absolutely hate it. I'm so scared I'm going to give up again, especially when I'm in the middle of my workout and I can hear myself in my head saying " You don't have to do this. You can quit. This sucks. No shame in stopping here, at least you did something. " There are days I can feel my motivation dwindling... The last thing in the world I want is to fall into that mindset again.

The scale is slowly dropping, and my body is -very- slowly changing. I'm three weeks in, and I'm still eating pretty poorly because I won't have any money until the end of the month. (I'm a student and jobless, living with an obese family. I do what I can, and I monitor my calories. I'm going to work on cleaning up my eating little by little so it's sustainable.) I do have the support of my fellow MFP-ers though and my boyfriend, who is my occassional workout partner. So that was all just to give you guys an idea of my situation.

If you could offer any bit of advice or if you've gone through a similar scenario, feel free to share. I can't help but be frustrated at myself sometimes.

Replies

• hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? That happens to me all the time! There's always a voice in my head that tells me to quit every time it gets tougher and sometimes I do let myself give in. It's true what you said, at least you did something. Sometimes that is enough and the important thing is you will try again the next day. Just do not give up. If there's one thing that I have learned about when I joined MFP is to not be so hard on myself and count every little thing as improvement. Try to do that as well and you'll be surprised at how this works. You can do this! We can do this! =):flowerforyou:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? That happens to me all the time! There's always a voice in my head that tells me to quit every time it gets tougher and sometimes I do let myself give in. It's true what you said, at least you did something. Sometimes that is enough and the important thing is you will try again the next day. Just do not give up. If there's one thing that I have learned about when I joined MFP is to not be so hard on myself and count every little thing as improvement. Try to do that as well and you'll be surprised at how this works. You can do this! We can do this! =):flowerforyou:

Well said! I'm the same way. I'm actually quite afraid of getting to the 140 lbs mark because that's when I started putting the weight on quickly. But it's all about staying focused and taking it little by little. And I haven't denied myself things either, but I'm much more knowledgeable and aware of foods now. It makes it simpler, but not necessarily easier. But it's still worth it! If that voice gets too loud. Come here. We'll shut that doubt up!
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This time was, and IS different. I don't know HOW, but I've just gotten rid of the possibility of giving up. It's not an option, period.

I want to eat a cake? Can't.
    I don't wanna work out? I have to.
    I don't feel like doing my frikken push-ups? Not an option.

So, I've gone into "robot mode" and I just do it. I KNOW that as soon as I start discussing possibilities with myself, then I will NOT work out, and I WILL have the damn cake, and I WILL hate myself for both of those things.

So, no more discussions. Just do.

Oh yeah, and having found a recipe for "diet" cake helped a LOT!! ;o)
  • DatPanna
    DatPanna Posts: 59
    Options
    Thank you, sincerely, to both of you.

Sometimes it's good to know I'm not alone. I should probably stop worrying so much about progress and just know that what I'm currently doing is great for my body.... I get so wrapped up in "not seeing results fast enough." But it's not an overnight process at all. I have non-scale goals, but perhaps I should add some extra to help keep me motivated that are more obtainable.

Eeek. Even posting this though, I can hear all of my doubts still whining at me, but sometimes you just have to prove them wrong, right?
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I always get that voice when I'm working out. I go for a run, and my brain starts up 'You can't do it. This is going to be a rubbish workout. Uh-oh, feel that ache in your legs already? You'll give up. You always give up. Then you'll go home and feel crappy all day. You cant go any further. This sucks. I don't want to.' And ON and ON and ON.

I have learned that my brain LIES. I no longer listen to my brain. I listen to
    - my joints - if they tell me something is wrong, I listen, too many things can go wrong with knees and ankles
    - my lungs - they can tell me to slow down/ease off, but not stop
    - my muscles - but sometimes they lie too, so I have to be stern with them and say 'can you REALLY not do any more, or are you just a bit tired?'

As for my brain, I shut it up in different ways. I change up what I am listening to - different music, sometimes audio books, sometimes I'll download some comedy, whatever distracts me. I invent little games for myself - get to the next dip in the pavement, get to the gate and you can have a sip of water, just a few more steps over the top of this hill and my legs will rest going downhill. I daydream and invent stories in my head - what rides would I have at my own theme park or what would I do with a million pounds. I bribe myself (if you get through this you can have a bubble bath or a new song on itunes) Or sometimes I just jog along thinking 'I can do it, I can, I can'. Suddenly you realise you're more than halfway through and hey, look! You're doing it after all!

As far as giving up on the whole journey, yes, I've had that too. What helps is to remove 'giving up' as an option. You have no other choice but to live a healthy life. Even if you slip up, you just get up and carry on. When I think it's taking too long to see results, I remind myself that the time is passing anyway, may as well be taking baby steps towards my goal. I know it's cheesy but I find it helps to repeat little mantras to yourself. 'This too shall pass' is good for a bad day. 'A year from now, you will wish you started today'. Whatever gets you through it. You may not feel like you can continue being healthy forever, but you can do it for today, right? That doesn't sound so bad. And then tomorrow you can say it again - I can do it today, right?
  • DatPanna
    Options
    This time was, and IS different. I don't know HOW, but I've just gotten rid of the possibility of giving up. It's not an option, period.

I want to eat a cake? Can't.
    I don't wanna work out? I have to.
    I don't feel like doing my frikken push-ups? Not an option.

So, I've gone into "robot mode" and I just do it. I KNOW that as soon as I start discussing possibilities with myself, then I will NOT work out, and I WILL have the damn cake, and I WILL hate myself for both of those things.

Oh yeah, and having found a recipe for "diet" cake helped a LOT!! ;o)

Diet cake? ....Yeah let's be friends, lol! :) Where did you find that recipe?

My friends tell me I'm more determined than I have been, but I don't think I'm necessarily in robot mode, haha. Thank you so much for the advice. I'll try to remember that when I'm facing something where it's called for. (Maybe next time I have a soda craving....)
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Diet cake? ....Yeah let's be friends, lol! :) Where did you find that recipe?

My friends tell me I'm more determined than I have been, but I don't think I'm necessarily in robot mode, haha. Thank you so much for the advice. I'll try to remember that when I'm facing something where it's called for. (Maybe next time I have a soda craving....)

I just googled a lot - found a cake recipe that only called for egg whites, baking powder, cocoa, some fruit... and instead of white flour i used graham flour, and stevia instead of sugar (1/5), and maybe some other stuff, but nothing "bad" - baked them in cupcake tins to control the portions and ended up with 50 calories per cake. I break them up and mix them into greek yoghurt, makes an AWESOME "parfait" type-thingie.

NO, it's not a triple-chocolate fudge brownie gooey yum-fest, but it still tastes damn good ;)

P.s. I found that even though I'm not diabetic, some diabetes recipes work pretty darn good for the sweet tooth

p.p.s. Soda's NASTY if you think about all the chemicals - I work with fizzy water and add lemon juice, and a splash of sweetener. Haven't needed "soda" since january.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    I always get that voice when I'm working out. I go for a run, and my brain starts up 'You can't do it. This is going to be a rubbish workout. Uh-oh, feel that ache in your legs already? You'll give up. You always give up. Then you'll go home and feel crappy all day. You cant go any further. This sucks. I don't want to.' And ON and ON and ON.

I have learned that my brain LIES. I no longer listen to my brain. I listen to
    - my joints - if they tell me something is wrong, I listen, too many things can go wrong with knees and ankles
    - my lungs - they can tell me to slow down/ease off, but not stop
    - my muscles - but sometimes they lie too, so I have to be stern with them and say 'can you REALLY not do any more, or are you just a bit tired?'

As for my brain, I shut it up in different ways. I change up what I am listening to - different music, sometimes audio books, sometimes I'll download some comedy, whatever distracts me. I invent little games for myself - get to the next dip in the pavement, get to the gate and you can have a sip of water, just a few more steps over the top of this hill and my legs will rest going downhill. I daydream and invent stories in my head - what rides would I have at my own theme park or what would I do with a million pounds. I bribe myself (if you get through this you can have a bubble bath or a new song on itunes) Or sometimes I just jog along thinking 'I can do it, I can, I can'. Suddenly you realise you're more than halfway through and hey, look! You're doing it after all!

As far as giving up on the whole journey, yes, I've had that too. What helps is to remove 'giving up' as an option. You have no other choice but to live a healthy life. Even if you slip up, you just get up and carry on. When I think it's taking too long to see results, I remind myself that the time is passing anyway, may as well be taking baby steps towards my goal. I know it's cheesy but I find it helps to repeat little mantras to yourself. 'This too shall pass' is good for a bad day. 'A year from now, you will wish you started today'. Whatever gets you through it. You may not feel like you can continue being healthy forever, but you can do it for today, right? That doesn't sound so bad. And then tomorrow you can say it again - I can do it today, right?

Honestly, I can really relate to this. I don't yet listen to music while running because I'm building up a playlist, but I definitely do the distance game bit. It helps soooooo very much. The little things show you exactly what you have in you, and you make so much sense... So very very much sense. It's not cheesy at all.

I've also noted the joints, muscles, and lungs portion. I'll try to focus on those things more than my own thoughts.

This helped so much. This community is amazing. Thank you.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    First of all , read my Profile pic, Second you can do it. Like others said you just have to keep at it. Even if you do not want to. The old "fake it till you make it" really does work.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have moments like this occasional. During these times, I like to look at a picture of me at my heaviest and remember just how far I have come. If I'm getting bored with my workout routine, I change it up. This is a journey that takes not only will power and strength (mental not physical), but patience as well. For me, patience is the hardest part of it all.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much like success at work or success at college or at anything...those who work hard, are persistent and have a good head on their shoulders succeed sooner or later. With a pinch of luck and tablespoon of support.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    Oh yes, even now - and I lost most of my weight 2 years ago. A few weeks ago I had a major confidence wobble - and going to the gym felt like such a huge deal and I didn't want to face it. When I'm really stressed and worried about things I focus on small stuff and build it up - like the gym, and then because I'm anxious about doing something stupid, I do something stupid - or cry - which then makes me feel stupid!

As previous poster sometimes you just have to go into 'robot mode'. When I find myself thinking "Oh I'll go to the gym later" I need to go straight away because I am looking for excuses. If I really can't do it then then I find other exercise I can do -eg can I walk to the shops, if I can only spend a short time in the gym I can cycle there instead. Good music helps me, gym classes are harder to quit half way through than my own workout.

You are doing this for you - not for your family, or anyone else. You are worth this, because you are amazing! Stick with it.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iphone? If so, get yourself the zombies run app. The storyline is perfect for distracting yourself from the negative thoughts, I think you'll enjoy it.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Thanks everyone-- seriously. This community is soooo great. What was I even thinking not being here to begin with, lol?

:o Zombie run app????? ....And off to the app store I go.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing about 'robot mode'. Especially in the beginning you just have to do it; remove all thoughts and just do. I think it does get easier though as time goes on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    During work outs? All the time! I hate it. I like walks, but that's about it. Sometimes I do stop in the middle of a workout because I'm just not feeling it. I'm not too worried about it... it's still 80% diet and I'm still pretty active, well, much more than I was 7 months ago for sure.

Diet? So far never. And it's really what matters the most.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If your goal, any goal, doesn't make you pause and say "Um, I'm not sure I can do this", you've set your bar too low.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has those moments where they have to ask themselves, "Is this really what I want to do? Is it worth it?"

It only means you're human.

If the scale is moving in the right direction, then you're successful. Everybody seems to want the weight to come off instantly. I know with me it's so easy to put weight on, and yes, it's work to take it off, but it's been SOOO worth the journey. No, it's not coming off as fast as I would like, but it is coming off. It is definitely an exercise in patience!

While it does feel like watching paint dry in the weight seeming to come off so slowly, there are things that inspire me to move forward - you have to look for the "NSV" (non-scale victories). My "fat clothes" are really huge on me now. I can walk around so much more. I can actually go to the gym. I can do a lot of this stuff without my back hurting because of my weight. I used to have my husband drop me off at the movie theatre front door because I had trouble walking from the parking lot. Not anymore!

Keep at it. It'll come. Every little bit adds up! 1 pound this week, 1/2 pound next week, now I'm at 120.8 pounds lost. I never thought I'd be able to say that.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Do what will make u happy at the end of the day., not what will give u momentary satisfaction... Nevrr give up on urself. Push through ur couple weak moments as hard as u can and when its over u will be stronger. Will power!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never thought about giving up. Sure, there were days when I didn't feel like working out, but unless my body just physically couldn't do what I was asking it to do that day, skipping a workout was not an option. I knew from the beginning it was going to take a long time (I'm going on 4 years now), and I was fine with that. It's not a race. It's your life.