Oxygen magazine could be going byebye

Options
2»

Replies

• nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I really liked Oxygen, but starting this year I bought maybe 2 or 3 issues, because the magazine went kind of boring. Too bad they're having problems.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Just read the men's magazines. All of the women's mags are BS. Oxygen was the best of the bunch, but fitness magazines are like razors. The worst of the men's is still better than the best of the women's.
    Men's fitness mags may be great for the eye candy (from a woman's perspective), but they're junk as far as fitness advice. Thinly-disguised supplement catalogs with ridiculous lifting routines designed by pro bodybuilders who are pumped up on steroids.

What's the one Alan Aragon contributes to? Is that one any better?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I wanted to subscribe because it looked fab! Their website wouldnt let me, so I called a 1-800 # on their website. A recorded message said that the company went out of business and everyone was laid off. No more magazine. Sad :( I signed up for Shape I guess...I was considering Muscle & Fitness Hers but their website seemed for figure competitors & bikini models...all of which I AM NOT!

Oxygen was as well. M&F Hers is pretty similar to Oxygen.

I hadn't heard about them going out of business.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Just read the men's magazines. All of the women's mags are BS. Oxygen was the best of the bunch, but fitness magazines are like razors. The worst of the men's is still better than the best of the women's.
    Men's fitness mags may be great for the eye candy (from a woman's perspective), but they're junk as far as fitness advice. Thinly-disguised supplement catalogs with ridiculous lifting routines designed by pro bodybuilders who are pumped up on steroids.

He writes a column for Men's Health magazine. Anything Aragon writes is gold (IMO), but the rest of the magazine, as with most of them, is very broscience-y. It's just the nature of the beast for a periodical publication - they can't publish the same stuff month in, month out, so they have to include all manner of articles. Many of them directly contradict each other and a lot of them are designed to sell supplements (since supplement companies are by far the biggest advertisers in fitness magazines). You can pick pearls of wisdom out of the slop pile, but it's a good idea to have your BS detector on and finely tuned to distinguish the trash from the treasure.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

He writes a column for Men's Health magazine. Anything Aragon writes is gold (IMO), but the rest of the magazine, as with most of them, is very broscience-y. It's just the nature of the beast for a periodical publication - they can't publish the same stuff month in, month out, so they have to include all manner of articles. Many of them directly contradict each other and a lot of them are designed to sell supplements (since supplement companies are by far the biggest advertisers in fitness magazines). You can pick pearls of wisdom out of the slop pile, but it's a good idea to have your BS detector on and finely tuned to distinguish the trash from the treasure.

It's a shame because although I do most of my reading online at the moment, I really enjoy magazines in general. Something about the shiny pages, maybe? :happy: It appears I'll be sticking to cooking & organizing-type magazines.
  • FitCurlysue
    FitCurlysue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had just renewed Oxygen and Clean Eating and they're both linked to the same publisher/CEO and they're gone. Really ticks me off they can take people's money and run.
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had just renewed Oxygen and Clean Eating and they're both linked to the same publisher/CEO and they're gone. Really ticks me off they can take people's money and run.

This. I was just wondering why I never got the August issue in the mail...now I know. Guess I won't hold my breath waiting for a refund either.
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just bought a digital copy of this years Abs issues!