POOR GIRLS CAN GET FIT!

Options
How to do it.

First of stop complaining about how you don't have the money. Because you don't need a lot to get healthy.

Second of all, realize you don't have to spend a dime on exercise. You don't need a trainer, you don't need any crazy diet program..not even a gym membership. If you have a computer and gyms shoes your good to go. If you don't have room inside... I know, you know... to go outside!
Sources:
-YouTube has amazing workout videos. Whether or not you got 5mins or an hour set aside for fitness. There are lots of REAL people that give real motivation to get fit and healthy.
-Pinterest had fun and interesting workouts that will get you moving and you won't get bored. All don't in the comfort of home

"Healthy food is SO EXPENSIVE" - uh no. Stop. If you think Special K and Kashi bars are the definition of health food... They aren't. Those foods need to be eaten in moderation and should not be a staple. And Why don't you skip McBurger Hut and go to Walmart. But stay the heck away from pre-made breakfast and dinners. Find and reach for canned beans, tuna, sardines, tomatoes... Apples, oranges, banana, grapes... Chicken breast, lean ground turkey, lean beef... Frozen mixed vegs.... Fresh onion, garlic, lettuce, salad mixes, celery, carrots, bell peppers... Eggs, low fat milk... Honestly it's about what you stop getting so you can start getting foods that will really bring your body health and in turn you'll see real results.

I find SO MANY clean food recipes and I'm inspired everyday to try a new healthy meal with a new fresh fruit or vegetables. There are so many out there and each have their own way of contributing to your health. Again, you don't need to spend money on healthy recipe books or magazines, there are sooo many online. (YouTube and Pinterest)

Check your priorities. Instead of shopping every weekend for clothes, i spent that time on money on foods to keep me healthy and happy.

And finally, it is not about having the time. It's about making it.

I would love feed back from others on how they manage to stay fit and healthy without spending a crazy amount of money.

*Disclaimer: this is my own personal advice from my own personal experiences. I am not a dietitian, no health expert etc.*

Replies

• wife2bo
    wife2bo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thanks..i needed to hear this
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Amen to that!
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Ignorant and judgmental. Check your privilege.
  • klynnshuck
    klynnshuck Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We rarely eat out but our fridge is always full of fresh fruits and vegetables. Lately they are from our garden, but even in the winter I can buy all the fresh we want. I use a jogging stroller and run with my son a lot and do workout DVD in our basement while he plays. I always thought it was too expensive to eat healthy, but I had never really tried either.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with you to some extent, because I am a poor girl and I am getting fit! I've never gone to a gym and have lost almost 27 lbs so far. I agree, it is possible. You don't need too many resources.

The only thing I disagree with is the food part. Yeah, Special K and Kashi are expensive haha. But things like good fruits (blueberries is one of the main ones I eat because of its antioxidant content and fat fighting nutrients) are not cheap. Meats are also not cheap and I'm not necessarily talking steak. Chicken is expensive as well. Since I started eating healthy, I DO spend more on food than I did before, and I don't buy processed health food junk. Also there are some things that if you really want the healthy version of, you SHOULD be buying the organic kind. I don't buy organic fruit/veggies, but I do buy organic almond butter, and raw, organic honey, because it's better for you than the processed kind. But, that being said, there are some great, healthy foods that are cheap like frozen veggies, oatmeal, bananas, whole grain pasta, etc. :)

And I agree with the recipes thing. I love that!

How I stay fit on a budget is definitely a choice of where I shop. :) I LOVE costco, because I can buy bigger bulk items of food I eat all the time. And for exercising, I buy workout DVDs. They are maybe $6-$10 a piece, and they are totally worth it for me. I'm a huge Jillian Michaels fan, and I have like 10 of her DVDs. Also, I did "invest" in a yoga mat. :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    75% correct, but now the price of "fresh" produce has increased alot. Broccoli is 2.49 a lb, brussels 2.49 a bag (12 oz), cauliflower 3.19, avacados 1.19 EACH... then don't consider the price of raw meat (5lbs unfrozen chicken 12$, 3 lb pork, 11$ grass fed beef, 1.85 lb 10$) or even milk (3.59 a gallon 2% or 1/2 gal almond milk @ 3.19). Even things like sunflower seeds - 16oz bag, 3$, almonds (raw) $5... [all prices are local to me - walmart, supermarkets, trader joes - and none organic, this is just standard stuff]

It's better than prepacked stuff, yes. But it's still not cheap. And not everyone has access to farms, farmer's markets, etc.

Plus, take into consideration that if you are running, you will need shoes - your 9 year old kicks aren't gonna cut it.

But yes, you don't need a gym, fancy gadets, pricey clothes, ect. It can be done on the "cheaper" side.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Oh, so true!
    I wouldn't consider myself poor but I am a bit of a Scrooge and you are sooooo right! I was amazed at how much money I was saving by not eating out as much and eating more basic foods. And exercise - what Youtube, Spark, MFP, and all sorts of other sites have available is absolutely amazing. I borrowed a few fitness DVD's and bought some secondhand, too. Tons of people (literally tons LOL) buy them and then don't want them when they discover how hard it is. And, if you have nothing else, get out and walk. I've saved tons of money by going to ride my bike or go for a walk instead of entertaining myself in other ways. Just a few days ago, two coworkers were talking about getting gym memberships. Neither one of these will eat decently enough to lose weight and neither will get out and just walk or run. What makes them think they'll show dedication enough to go to the gym??? Eat less, eat better, and get up and move if you want to see results.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We are a one income family under my husband. I completely agree with what you're saying! Although the government claims that we are well under the poverty level, we are managing our money just fine without having to resort to welfare checks or things of that nature (not that some situations don't call for that). We forgo cable and fancy phones, no unlimited internet for the phones we do have. And we don't waste money on fast food very often (still a work in progress though!). We certainly aren't perfect but you would be amazed at what you don't miss when you don't have it. For example, we watch all the tv we want online for free.

Anyway.. the moral of my story is I completely agree! I am able to fix healthy meals and watch portion control (which is very necessary on a strict budget) and we do just fine. There are a lot of public options for exercise also. Such as groups that meet for tennis for free once a week, or running clubs. You would be surprised at how simple it is, and once you do it this way, it's hard to go back to paying $60 a month for whatever gym, then $30 a month for whatever diet program!

I am also under the impression that MFP is the best. I am biased though ;)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    "Healthy food is SO EXPENSIVE" - uh no. Stop. If you think Special K and Kashi bars are the definition of health food... They aren't. Those foods need to be eaten in moderation and should not be a staple. And Why don't you skip McBurger Hut and go to Walmart. But stay the heck away from pre-made breakfast and dinners. Find and reach for canned beans, tuna, sardines, tomatoes... Apples, oranges, banana, grapes... Chicken breast, lean ground turkey, lean beef... Frozen mixed vegs.... Fresh onion, garlic, lettuce, salad mixes, celery, carrots, bell peppers... Eggs, low fat milk... Honestly it's about what you stop getting so you can start getting foods that will really bring your body health and in turn you'll see real results.

I find SO MANY clean food recipes and I'm inspired everyday to try a new healthy meal with a new fresh fruit or vegetables. There are so many out there and each have their own way of contributing to your health. Again, you don't need to spend money on healthy recipe books or magazines, there are sooo many online. (YouTube and Pinterest)

Check your priorities. Instead of shopping every weekend for clothes, i spent that time on money on foods to keep me healthy and happy.

I would love feed back from others on how they manage to stay fit and healthy without spending a crazy amount of money.

*Disclaimer: this is my own personal advice from my own personal experiences. I am not a dietitian, no health expert etc.*

Are you kidding me????? I'm glad you were able to stop shopping to devote the money to eating healthy. Most people can't just reassign their rent and mortgage money for healthier food. Get a clue.

And no, fresh produce is NOT cheap, especially in some places where it's hard to get. I can get a frozen Healthy Choice meal for $2.50 when it's on sale. Banquet meals are usually $1 a piece. Tell me how that's expensive?

I get what you're saying and yes, working out can be free with the things you mentioned. But no, eating "healthy" (and "clean," which, face it, is what you're implying) is by no stretch cheaper than cereal and pasta. You also don't need to eat fresh produce for the majority of your meals to lose weight. Again, get a clue.

edit: I don't mean to be harsh and get what you're saying. Fast food meals can be pretty expensive especially when that's all you eat. But a lot of what you wrote comes off as pretty entitled and frankly, inaccurate. I'm really happy that you are getting healthy and staying within budget, but sometimes people don't even have money for anything extra. If they don't have money for clothes shopping to begin with, they can't make that sacrifice to eat "clean." I think what you really mean is that you can't use being poor as an excuse when you really could rearrange your priorities to get fit and eat better. But if someone really is truly poor, then no, they really can't take a lot of your advice.
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    We rarely eat out but our fridge is always full of fresh fruits and vegetables. Lately they are from our garden, but even in the winter I can buy all the fresh we want. I use a jogging stroller and run with my son a lot and do workout DVD in our basement while he plays. I always thought it was too expensive to eat healthy, but I had never really tried either.

Having a garden and an excess to a farmers market helps with the expense of fresh produce.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... Here we go again
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits are expensive, that is true, like berries and such, but if you measure your food and only eat one serving at a time, they really go a long way for the money.

Buy your boneless skinless chicken breasts in big packs because the are cheaper, I get a pack for $9 and it makes three dinners for my family of four, again measure that chicken and only eat one serving at a time. If your budget is really tight, just buy a whole chicken and broil or boil it and take off all the meat to eat, granted you are getting some dark meat so it is not as healthy as pure breast but the real culprit in chicken is the skin part and how you cook it.

Grapeseed oil has same benefit as olive oil but performs much better for cooking because olive oil caramelizes at low temps (that explains why your skillet you sauteed with olive oil is hard to clean) and grapeseed oil is very affordable, barely more than canola oil.

Buy generics when possible- saves you money, and sometimes a generic form is actually more nutritious (read the labels).

lemons and limes are cheap during summer and can be used to season most anything, also great to make a citrus zesty salad dressing when mixed with the grapeseed oil

don't overlook the local dollar tree, cheapest way to buy sandwich baggies (so you can break that big pack of chicken into smaller packs to freeze them) and also spices, dollar tree has an abundance of spices

beans are cheap, and delicious, and nutritious

just trying to help, some ideas you might not have considered yet :smile:
  • kat_lifts
    Options

Are you kidding me????? I'm glad you were able to stop shopping to devote the money to eating healthy. Most people can't just reassign their rent and mortgage money for healthier food. Get a clue.

And no, fresh produce is NOT cheap, especially in some places where it's hard to get. I can get a frozen Healthy Choice meal for $2.50 when it's on sale. Banquet meals are usually $1 a piece. Tell me how that's expensive?

I get what you're saying and yes, working out can be free with the things you mentioned. But no, eating "healthy" (and "clean," which, face it, is what you're implying) is by no stretch cheaper than cereal and pasta. You also don't need to eat fresh produce for the majority of your meals to lose weight. Again, get a clue.

Maybe you don't need to eat fresh foods as much as I needed to improve my health. I big point that I was trying to make was that it was possible for a poor girl to get fit. It wasn't nor is it always going to be easy. Fresh produce is a bit more expensive so I go to frozen or canned when I get the chance. And if I see that I've spent a good buck on my food for the week, I try to make sure extra money isn't being spent on stuff I don't really need. Thanks for your input.
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    Oh boy... Here we go again

For real... I always hate myself for falling into the trap of these crazy threads but I just can't let someone be WRONG on the INTERNET
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Where as I agree with your thought process, I must disagree that healthy eating is not more expensive. Not only is it a fact that healthy foods cost more, I've tested the theory. Someone can go to "Wal-Mart" & get a huge box of hot pockets or what not for a lot cheaper than they can a week or two worth of produce.

That being said, sometimes you NEED to sacrifice something in order to buy your clean food.
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    Fresh fruits are expensive, that is true, like berries and such, but if you measure your food and only eat one serving at a time, they really go a long way for the money.

Buy your boneless skinless chicken breasts in big packs because the are cheaper, I get a pack for $9 and it makes three dinners for my family of four, again measure that chicken and only eat one serving at a time. If your budget is really tight, just buy a whole chicken and broil or boil it and take off all the meat to eat, granted you are getting some dark meat so it is not as healthy as pure breast but the real culprit in chicken is the skin part and how you cook it.

Grapeseed oil has same benefit as olive oil but performs much better for cooking because olive oil caramelizes at low temps (that explains why your skillet you sauteed with olive oil is hard to clean) and grapeseed oil is very affordable, barely more than canola oil.

Buy generics when possible- saves you money, and sometimes a generic form is actually more nutritious (read the labels).

lemons and limes are cheap during summer and can be used to season most anything, also great to make a citrus zesty salad dressing when mixed with the grapeseed oil

don't overlook the local dollar tree, cheapest way to buy sandwich baggies (so you can break that big pack of chicken into smaller packs to freeze them) and also spices, dollar tree has an abundance of spices

beans are cheap, and delicious, and nutritious

just trying to help, some ideas you might not have considered yet :smile:

I didn't put a lot of these done that why I wanted a thread start to get everyone's input on a "poor girls" healthy lifestyle. These are good point thank you
  • jas1141
    jas1141 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yep, I'm one of those "poor girls," and I'm here to agree that it can be done!! Here are some hints I've found helpful:

* If you're single, look on YouTube or Pinterest to find ways to make your fruits and vegetables last as long as possible. My lettuce lasts over a week before turning a bit brown at the edges. Now I can get more for my buck.

* Stay away from processed foods just because they are cheap. Just because you can get Mac 'n' Cheese for $1 doesn't mean it's the right choice.

* Fast food is bad. Cheap fast food is even worse. Don't fall into the trap of thinking a bucket of grilled chicken is cheaper than roasting your own.

* Prepare ahead. This is a MUST to saving money. Yes, it's a pain, but it can also be very rewarding -- especially if you get the family into it. Here are a few ways that have worked for me:

-- Watch for grocery store sales. Sign up for their loyalty programs to get special alerts. See if your company has a discount membership for the warehouse stores like Costco or BJ's.

-- Get what's in season (and in excess!) at a farmer's market. Don't buy off-season fruits and veggies -- you'll pay premium.

-- Long-cooking brown rice tastes better and is cheaper, especially in bulk. Just takes 20 minutes instead of 5, so start it first when you get home from work.

-- Buy dried beans in a bag and soak them overnight. They'll be firmer than canned beans and are easy to cook.

-- Instead of thinking of your grocery budget by the week, try thinking of it by the month. That way, you can buy those "buy 2, get 3 free" bargains and freeze them, and you'll save money the following couple of weeks. (Just did this with chicken breasts!)

* If there is any way you can do it, make this a family affair. Get the kids involved in preparing foods in different ways (it's amazing how different a carrot tastes whether it's boiled, steamed, roasted, shaved or raw!). Split duties with your spouse -- one figures out the weekly menu, the other makes the grocery list, and so on.)

Hope someone finds these helpful!
  • TheSlorax
    Options

Maybe you don't need to eat fresh foods as much as I needed to improve my health. I big point that I was trying to make was that it was possible for a poor girl to get fit. It wasn't nor is it always going to be easy. Fresh produce is a bit more expensive so I go to frozen or canned when I get the chance. And if I see that I've spent a good buck on my food for the week, I try to make sure extra money isn't being spent on stuff I don't really need. Thanks for your input.

Check my edit, I thought about your post a little more and realized I could have said it better. I think you need a little more of ^ that in your OP.
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    Yep, I'm one of those "poor girls," and I'm here to agree that it can be done!! Here are some hints I've found helpful:

* If you're single, look on YouTube or Pinterest to find ways to make your fruits and vegetables last as long as possible. My lettuce lasts over a week before turning a bit brown at the edges. Now I can get more for my buck.

* Stay away from processed foods just because they are cheap. Just because you can get Mac 'n' Cheese for $1 doesn't mean it's the right choice.

* Fast food is bad. Cheap fast food is even worse. Don't fall into the trap of thinking a bucket of grilled chicken is cheaper than roasting your own.

* Prepare ahead. This is a MUST to saving money. Yes, it's a pain, but it can also be very rewarding -- especially if you get the family into it. Here are a few ways that have worked for me:

-- Watch for grocery store sales. Sign up for their loyalty programs to get special alerts. See if your company has a discount membership for the warehouse stores like Costco or BJ's.

-- Get what's in season (and in excess!) at a farmer's market. Don't buy off-season fruits and veggies -- you'll pay premium.

-- Long-cooking brown rice tastes better and is cheaper, especially in bulk. Just takes 20 minutes instead of 5, so start it first when you get home from work.

-- Buy dried beans in a bag and soak them overnight. They'll be firmer than canned beans and are easy to cook.

-- Instead of thinking of your grocery budget by the week, try thinking of it by the month. That way, you can buy those "buy 2, get 3 free" bargains and freeze them, and you'll save money the following couple of weeks. (Just did this with chicken breasts!)

* If there is any way you can do it, make this a family affair. Get the kids involved in preparing foods in different ways (it's amazing how different a carrot tastes whether it's boiled, steamed, roasted, shaved or raw!). Split duties with your spouse -- one figures out the weekly menu, the other makes the grocery list, and so on.)

Hope someone finds these helpful!

There's a lot on here I didn't mention, but I agree with and find helpful. Thanks for sharing
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    We are a one income family under my husband. I completely agree with what you're saying! Although the government claims that we are well under the poverty level, we are managing our money just fine without having to resort to welfare checks or things of that nature (not that some situations don't call for that). We forgo cable and fancy phones, no unlimited internet for the phones we do have. And we don't waste money on fast food very often (still a work in progress though!). We certainly aren't perfect but you would be amazed at what you don't miss when you don't have it. For example, we watch all the tv we want online for free.

Anyway.. the moral of my story is I completely agree! I am able to fix healthy meals and watch portion control (which is very necessary on a strict budget) and we do just fine. There are a lot of public options for exercise also. Such as groups that meet for tennis for free once a week, or running clubs. You would be surprised at how simple it is, and once you do it this way, it's hard to go back to paying $60 a month for whatever gym, then $30 a month for whatever diet program!

I am also under the impression that MFP is the best. I am biased though ;)

It's defiantly not easy, but its inspiring to hear how someone can do it and be successful. But of course no one is perfect and we don't have to be. Thanks for sharing!