What do you think on Slim Fast?

Options

Replies

• BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself, this isn't about fast results, it's about a life long change.

Slim fast is not going to teach you the discipline you need when you go to those social events. You can only teach yourself what a healthy sized portion feels/looks like from experience. I think a lot of people become gluttons with food consumption. They don't enjoy/appreciate the flavors. They are only concerned with stuffing themselves to discomfort and then complaining when the scale skyrockets.
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Calling the OP lazy is a little over the top, in my opinion. Diets like slim fast are marketed CONSTANTLY as being realistic, great solutions for people who need to lose weight. Some people really think this is a viable option.

To the OP, I have tried Slim Fast and other meal replacement shakes in the past. While I don't think it would be horrible to have a shake a few days a week, I wouldn't recommend the actual Slim Fast plan. First of all, I was ALWAYS hungry on it. This, I think, is the main reason people gain back what they lose. If you're always hungry, willpower will only take you so far. Feeling deprived will eventually make you binge, or at least it did me.

If you're going to do shakes, I would recommend either making your own with protein powder or buying a lower carb, higher protein alternative. I enjoy the EAS Advantage low-carb shakes. They are only 110 calories, so they're more of a snack on their own, but lots of protein and filling! Good luck!
  • mandyj32
    mandyj32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this is very true when i lost my 90 pounds it took 3 years. but i never made anything different that what my family ate. I put small portions out and never went back for seconds. Again life style changes is needed. Maybe you could make healthier meals the hole family would enjoy. You want to lose weight to be healthy for you and your family, why not make them healthier in the process as well. Just a thought
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the taste so I could not do it. But my Step Dad and Mom are on the slim fast diet and doing great!! My Step Dad has lost 50 lbs in a year and my mom just started so I am not sure about her, but she seams to enjoy it!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those with positive comments. I wouldn't think of it as permanent. My friend used slim fast and it helped her loose 3 dress sizes .. 2 shakes a day, snacks veggies n fruit and a meal at the end of the day using a calorie counter. . I would like to use to it drop a dress size or 2 and then continue healthy eating but I just need a little boost to start off. Nothing wrong with it! And it is most certainly something I do NOT want long term! thanks to the positive posters :-) :flowerforyou:

The problem is... doing 2 shakes a day with just random fruit/veg inbetween with a single meal that's counted...

why not just start counting those meals now instead of going through the "I'm losing water weight! YAY!" and then "WHY AM I NOT LOSING ANYMORE!?" when you go back to real food?

Oh, and here:
    unicorn.jpg

Since you like positive comments, I'm adding in a unicorn and bunnies.

If you use it as a temporary fix, the results are going to be temporary too. Thought about that? There isn't a "do this, lose weight, go back to eating food and magically stay thin" after. Your friend lost water weight. You'll do the same.

But again, you seem pretty dead-set on this, since anyone that told you it wasn't a good idea wasn't being positive? Oh wait, except we are. We're telling you what has happened before.. since we've probably been down that road before.

You can choose what information you want, but if it's cuddles, hugs, and "here, yeah, just do slimfast since it's awesome and helped your friend lost water weight" then I'm not gonna be that guy.

Best.reply.ever.

Agreed!!!
  • missdamman
    Options
    definately make your own, way easier, way cheaper, way yummier :)
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents being thrown in here.... slim fast is def something that "
    might" work short term for your... but will require long term to sustain any loss....

If your excersizing and just looking for something easy and quick.... I would suggest like what has been stated... do protein powder in your milk.... or maybe even something like the carnation instant breakfast powder PLUS protein powder.... if your looking for something that will help with energy, control your appetite and boost your fat burn, theres several supplements out there that will do that too. I use a green tea fat metabolizer... and protein powder in milk, juice or water.... it works, tastes good, and is def cheaper than doing slim fast all the time... :) Good luck with however you decide... in the end its all about what YOU want to do...
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did Slim Fast for a while and the pounds definitely came off quickly, but I didn't have the energy to exercise much. The pounds did stay off for a long time and I think they would have stayed off. I just had 2 pregnancies and some emotional eating afterward that added them back. That would have happened no matter how I lost the weight before.

Also, Walmart.com sells it cheaper than I've found anywhere else.
  • danarod23
    danarod23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would not do it. It is not something you can or would want to drink forever. It does not contain any nutrients. I would try to eat clean and workout. You will enjoy eating real foods and be able to learn hoe to eat right for your body. Shakeology is a nutrient rich supplement that would be good to take in conjunction.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Slim Fast is so 90s.
  • need2shrink
    need2shrink Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I looked into these and other diet shakes a few years back. The amount of sugar turned me off. I settled on Total Soy meal replacement powder instead, mixed with powdered fat free milk and water. With crushed ice in our ninja blender its kind of like a vanilla milk shake, one of my biggest weaknesses. I agree with the other comments that it is temporary though. My doctor was blown away with my weight loss once and and wanted to know how I did it. Of course the weight came back not long after I stopped. I still like them for occasional meal replacements rather than a whole diet plan.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I looked up the nutrition on it because i've never tired it... but 18g of sugar and only 10g of protein? Sounds like a recipe for hunger to me. I would not find that satisfying for very long and i'd be hungry again shortly after i drank it.

If you're gonna do a shake/meal replacement, try to find one that has more protein than sugar... it will curb your hunger longer. (the one i use has 36g protein and only 9g of sugar... and i feel full 4-5 hours after drinking it, which helps so much on a busy work day!)

I'm pretty sure if i tried slim-fast i'd be hungry again in an hour or 2. To me, that's not worth the money.
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use it occasionally as a meal replacement - primarily breakfast. I drink the chocolate ones from their high protein (20 g), low carb (4 g) line. Not all shakes are created equally, so if you decide to try the shakes make sure you know what you're getting into.
  • xnancyelizabeth
    xnancyelizabeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to stick with the shakes rather than the meals and bars they set for you after reading for the comments. Lol calling me lazy - this is my 3rd post and I basically joined this week - what a welcoming :D totally what I expected on a "fitness" website.. thanks all.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i think it's just plain crap. Might as well be considered junk food imo. you're better off eating a sensible meal than any of that stuff plus what do you actually LEARN by just using their pre measured already prepared you don't know what processed stuff is really in there food. i'm also against jenny craig, nutriosystem, etc. i feel like you don't actually learn anything from doing these "diets" other than how to use a microwave or pop open a can.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to stick with the shakes rather than the meals and bars they set for you after reading for the comments. Lol calling me lazy - this is my 3rd post and I basically joined this week - what a welcoming :D totally what I expected on a "fitness" website.. thanks all.
    It isn't lazy certainly. But it probably will be less effective than you may think. Just remember at some point to maintain a healthy long term relationship with food, you will need to build a new meal plan you can stick to, and meal replacements are probably not going to be your long term goal. Calling you lazy is wrong, any person working hard at weight management and actually doing something about it isn't lazy really. But that being said, I hope you took the warnings of the people who have actually been on the Slim Fast plan in the past, it tends to throw your body off and when you stop using them it is hard to maintain the weight loss as you didn't learn a new habit. If you commit to using it for part of your plan and then moving toward real food as you progress and building a new habit you will be fine. But sometimes these diets become too easy and people don't move toward improved food habits and then regain the weight very rapidly afterward.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Fitness and nutrition website.. what did you expect? People here are trying to show you what works and you're not listening. We know because we've been there, got the tee shirt and it took us an additional couple of years to learn what we are telling you.

Diets don't work
    Diets dont' work
    Diets don't work

Eating the right foods and the right portions of them while exercising is all that works.

They are calling you lazy because you are looking for the easy way out.

There is no easy way
    There is no easy way
    There is no easy way

It's hard to eat healthy. It's hard to make the time to cook, and exercise.. in the beginning.. it gets simple as time goes on.. Plus food tastes better then the shakes.

starving yourself. (which is basically what the slim fast diet does) is not healthy, and not in line with health and nutrition and is not what this site or most of the people using it are striving for.

So again.. what did you expect from a health and nutrition website???
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    This is intended to be funny, not smart-assed or sarcastic.

What do I think on Slim-Fast? I think "OMG; I wish I had some food!"
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Far too low on protein for my preferences.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Why is fitness in parenthesis? This is a fitness website, full of people who are at different stages of weight loss through people who are here to stay in the shape they're in.

I think you've gotten some advice from some successful individuals pointing out the downfalls of slim fast while pointing out how much better portion control and eating a better diet are.

The problem with MRP's (Slim Fast, Herba Life, etc...) is they work early, your numbers on the scale drop, but it's mostly water weight and eventually you'll need to start eating again and the scale will go up as the water weight goes back on. Discouragement starts, the diet stops, and the yo-yo is in full effect.