Replies

• ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    1245227615_colin_farrel.gif
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to stick with the shakes rather than the meals and bars they set for you after reading for the comments. Lol calling me lazy - this is my 3rd post and I basically joined this week - what a welcoming :D totally what I expected on a "fitness" website.. thanks all.

No one is being mean, you asked about slim fast, and we are telling you of our experiences and opinions. And this is a fitness website, not a "fitness" website (nice quotations). We are concerned with overall health here, and slim fast isn't the best thing for that. You can choose to do whatever you would like.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My grandmother tried it when I was younger. And she didn't lose anything.

I tried drinking it once, never again.

To each their own.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with Slim Fast or any other diet plan. The problem is that as long as you're on that plan, you don't learn how to manage real world choices to transition from the plan, and people typically put on weight when they stop using the diet plan. For the long haul, it's much easier to maintain your goal weight if you establish new habits during the weight loss process that will help you maintain. By using a "diet" to lose the weight, you'll be starting fresh to develop another set of habits during maintenance because returning to "normal" after a "diet" leads to yo-yo-ing.

While I've had great short-term success on several diet plans, using the same principles learned during weight loss mode --creating a deficit by making choices on how to use my calorie budget has helped me maintain at less than my goal weight for about 14 months.

Use whatever works for you, but while it may be harder to lose the weight initially while making real world choices, but it will make maintaining your success much easiter.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to stick with the shakes rather than the meals and bars they set for you after reading for the comments. Lol calling me lazy - this is my 3rd post and I basically joined this week - what a welcoming :D totally what I expected on a "fitness" website.. thanks all.

No one is being mean, you asked about slim fast, and we are telling you of our experiences and opinions. And this is a fitness website, not a "fitness" website (nice quotations). We are concerned with overall health here, and slim fast isn't the best thing for that. You can choose to do whatever you would like.

I don't think people are being mean. It's just that this website offers something different than the quick fix diet plans.

I've tried Slim Fast (years ago) ....... and here I am trying to lose weight AGAIN. Sure, I lost weight with Slim Fast (and half a dozen other quick fix diets) ......BUT that doesn't equal success. For me success is losing weight AND keeping it off.

The problem with Slim Fast and other diets that are essentially meal replacements is that they don't teach you anything, they don't give you any tools for keeping weight off (in the future). The point of My Fitness Pal is that you learn....... everyday you learn something. Logging your food teaches you about making good choices. It takes awhile to figure things out... it doesn't happen overnight.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    they dont work and they taste like chalk.
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drink one when I don't have time for real food. It tides me over for a couple hours, and keeps me from binging when I do have time to eat.
  • angelbabyskies
    Options
    In my opinion if someone uses slim fast or any other stuff to lose weight, they are not ready to lose weight. (well, I mean, to keep it off for life)
    Real sustainable weight loss comes from eating healthy + exercise. Nothing more.

If a structered plan is what you looking for, you could make your own. I used to like the idea of doing something like slimfast just because it takes the guess work out.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Slimfast blech! I used to work in an office where a bunch of the women there used to drink the Slimfast meal replacement shakes. I swear that stuff must cause crotch rot because the bathroom always smelled SO nasty after those women used the toilet after lunch.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Slimfast blech! I used to work in an office where a bunch of the women there used to drink the Slimfast meal replacement shakes. I swear that stuff must cause crotch rot because the bathroom always smelled SO nasty after those women used the toilet after lunch.

ewwww
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

LOL! D: omg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast made me hungrier the more I ate/drank it. I never felt the fullness SF advertized.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was gonna mention the ingredient list too. So much sugar! A good whey protein powder and some coconut milk....yum!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so you expected everyone to just nod their head and agree with you? Sorry, but it does not work that way ..if you do not want advice - good or bad - then dont post on a PUBLIC forum...

Everyone is saying just eat less of real food and you will have results that last for the long term....

But hey, if you want to drink slim fast lose some water weight and gain it all back in four months, be my guest. I mean, what do I know about weight loss after seven years and 50 pounds lost...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

so you expected everyone to just nod their head and agree with you? Sorry, but it does not work that way ..if you do not want advice - good or bad - then dont post on a PUBLIC forum...

Everyone is saying just eat less of real food and you will have results that last for the long term....

But hey, if you want to drink slim fast lose some water weight and gain it all back in four months, be my guest. I mean, what do I know about weight loss after seven years and 50 pounds lost...
    Sadly, far too many people are looking only for validation and approval... not advice.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    I drink one when I don't have time for real food. It tides me over for a couple hours, and keeps me from binging when I do have time to eat.
    this is how i've used the shakes too ...BUT now i feel like a heel for that LOL ...i highly doubt that it could ever actually "replace" a meal for me , it just gets me to my next meal without going calorie crazy snacking
  • kalyrichmond
    kalyrichmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If all you want to hear is positive feedback about Slimfast products...go to their web-site. This site is about making HEALTHY eating choices. If you want to lose weight the healthy way, learn portion controls and healthy meal choices. Eat real food. You can lose weight drinking slimfast but you'll be drinking it the rest of your life. And not to mention they don't taste very good.
  • angiemotto
    angiemotto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I don't consider Slim Fast a diet fad or starving yourself or losing water weight for 4 months, etc. I started on the slim fast diet about 6 months ago. I have tried a lot of different things prior including "just eating right", taking raspberry ketones, and trying a few other supplements from GNC. Nothing worked for me, maybe because I was off on my calories, I'm really not too sure. But heres a run down of my typical day when I first started Slim fast: I wake up and have a shake, wait 2 hours and eat a 100 calorie snack or little over something like a cereal bar, fruit/veggies or oatmeal, boiled egg, whatever. Then 2 hours later I drink a shake for lunch, 2 hours later have another snack, then have my dinner something reasonable under 500 calories and then have a desert of some kind, popsicle or pudding. I also added Zumba in for 6 days a week for hour. I didn't start at an hour but worked my way up to that. I started dropping the pounds. I like this diet because it takes the guesswork out of it. I don't have to cook or plan my meals, I just grab and go. Through this diet I have learned to count calories. Now I replace a shake with a regular meal here and there. I could go completely off and replace the shakes with food but I prefer this method. I like the taste of them, its very affordable. I get the Walmart brand or the Kellogg's brand .As long as you learn to add plenty of raw fruit and veggies, drink water, and exercise there is nothing "lazy" or wrong about this diet. Yeah if you stop the shakes and start eating whatever without counting calories to maintain you.r weight or stop exercising of course you will gain your weight back. You can't blame that on the Slim fast. The first couple days I would get hungry, but soon as I would get hungry it would be time to eat. Or if it wasn't time to eat and I was really hungry, I eat, plain and simple. A little snack to hold me over. I feel like this can be a proven meal plan, if you go at it the correct way. You shouldn't have to come to Slim Fast website for support, there are plenty of people right here who can support you if you want to go that route. To each their own, but protein shakes can be effective. Like i said it was the only thing that worked for me. I'm sure alot of different things work and fail for each individual, but if you find something that works and its healthy, then go for it. And what keeps protein shakes healthy for me is drinking lots of water, eating plenty of raw vegetables and fruits with your meal plan, and not being too strict. The exercise leaves room to eat a little more than usual. I couldn't imagine not exercising and just drinking 2 shakes, a slim fast snack bar and a small dinner to keep calories down. I think thats what the slim fast website says to do. That would be setting yourself up for failure. I hope everyone finds a plan that works for them. We are all here for the same purpose, after all.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Sadly, far too many people are looking only for validation and approval... not advice.

Agreed. It's just sad.
    Sad.gif