Is Being Really Lean Really Worth It?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for the excuse making that these articles inevitably inspire. Sure, I agree that you don't need to have super low BF percentage, but if you're currently at 30% then this article doesn't apply to you.

30% is not unhealthy for a woman. It's a reasonable place to stop losing fat. Not everyone is looking for extreme leanness, which is kind of the point here.

I didn't say 30% is unhealthy for a woman, but to start using terms like "really lean" or "shredded," as this article does, at that body fat percentage is ludicrous. Before someone starts talking about whether they should get "really lean" they should at least be "lean." My point is to take one step at a time, and avoid getting ahead of oneself.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    5-7% for the win. I was born very lean, and it's physically impossible for me to go past a certain bf% unless I binge 24/7. Even then it would be tough.

Everyone's body has it's individual ideal percentage, so it's hard to call something "unhealthy" or "unmaintainable" in general just because it is for you personally.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference. I feel my best at 15-17% body fat, so I plan to stay that way. Yes, some people may run into health concerns, i.e. women losing their period, but nothing of the sort has happened to me.

I like that range, too. I also have never missed a period. That would be a red flag for me to slow down. I know some women don't care, but I like to stay reproductive... :glasses:
  • Fallouts
    Fallouts Posts: 16
    Options
    Depends on your body type, I have a naturally big frame (8" wrists 11" ankles) , my goal is between 10-12% body fat which will place me right around 215-225lbs. I don't think I'd like my look in sub 10% ranges, I like being a bit more solid looking.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    5-7% for the win. I was born very lean, and it's physically impossible for me to go past a certain bf% unless I binge 24/7. Even then it would be tough.

Everyone's body has it's individual ideal percentage, so it's hard to call something "unhealthy" or "unmaintainable" in general just because it is for you personally.

This was me for over 30 years. Trying to keep weight on was a fight & at one point my bf% was under 6 which led to a whole laundry list of issues. Fast forward 10 years and that "problem" is gone, and while I have several pounds to lose my arms & legs are still freakishly lean & cut for a person my age/size. bf% varies so much when you factor in lean muscle mass
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Articles like this are really important to remind us that balance is important in our lives. I think it demonstrates why it's important to have goals that are non-physique related. Also I think this is why I have a problem with figure competitions. I know that some competitors are able to get competition-ready without using unhelthy measures but I think for a lot it isn't a healthy process and wouldn't leave you in peak physical or mental condition

Amen!
  • MissAbi13dot1
    Options
    Yes! It's an adrenaline rush and TOTALLY worth it! But the problem is... Thinking about the long term pay off of not submitting to temp. urges for munchies! You are stronger than that tub of ice cream! Throw it out of the damn house and do your whole family a favor!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    In for the excuse making that these articles inevitably inspire. Sure, I agree that you don't need to have super low BF percentage, but if you're currently at 30% then this article doesn't apply to you.

30% is not unhealthy for a woman. It's a reasonable place to stop losing fat. Not everyone is looking for extreme leanness, which is kind of the point here.

I looked and felt fat as hell at 30% body fat, and I had high cholesterol and elevated BP to boot. At 25%, the medical issues were non-existent, but I still looked mushy and felt awful about how I looked.

Some women are comfortable at that level of body fat, but for the rest of us, it is unreasonable to say that's a reasonable place to stop losing.

20%-30% is not extreme leanness by any stretch of the imagination. I hope you are not implying that it is.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I looked and felt fat as hell at 30% body fat, and I had high cholesterol and elevated BP to boot. At 25%, the medical issues were non-existent, but I still looked mushy and felt awful about how I looked.

Some women are comfortable at that level of body fat, but for the rest of us, it is unreasonable to say that's a reasonable place to stop losing.

... ok. Have fun with your quest for extreme leanness.
    20%-30% is not extreme leanness by any stretch of the imagination. [/b]I hope you are not implying that it is.[/b]

Now, please elaborate on what exactly in my statement got even close to implying that 20-30% is "extreme leanness".
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    These articles tend to get misused. Of course body composition is not synonymous with overall health, and of course there is a point where very low body compositions become suboptimal for overall health. But that really doesn't apply to 99% of the population. Nobody with a 25% body composition should be worrying about losing too much weight and becoming unhealthy unless they have an eating disorder.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I don't think it is.
    My natural body fat is 30% and if I go below it, it's a stressor and I feel awful.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I found this article that I thought was really interesting and I just thought I'd share it with everyone. What are your thoughts on it?
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=is_being_really_lean_really_worth_it

I enjoyed it! Thanks for posting. :flowerforyou:

I am at 38% BF right now and working to get down to about 30%. I have had several people tell me that I should go down to 20%, but that isn't currently a goal for me. I am much less concerned with looks than I am with how I fell. I was about 30% body fat as a teenager and I loved my body (had beautiful legs and arms) and always had a ton of energy. I am naturally muscular with a wide-set bone structure, so 140ish pounds would be the lowest I would want to weigh. My goal is to maintain my LBM, which is roughly 125 pounds. If I maintain my muscles while losing fat, I expect to be about 160ish when I begin long-term maintenance. So I set my weight goal at 170 and figure I'll rework the math when I reach that point. Twenty-eight pounds to go and they are coming off so much more slowly now than they did in the beginning. :grumble:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I didn't say 30% is unhealthy for a woman, but to start using terms like "really lean" or "shredded," as this article does, at that body fat percentage is ludicrous. Before someone starts talking about whether they should get "really lean" they should at least be "lean." My point is to take one step at a time, and avoid getting ahead of oneself.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

^^ The 30% woman is what my body looked like when I was at 30% BF. (Though my boobs weren't that big since I was still just a teenager. lol) Bone structure can make a difference in how the fat is distributed, but for most women, 30% is lean.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    ^^ The 30% woman is what my body looked like when I was at 30% BF. (Though my boobs weren't that big since I was still just a teenager. lol) Bone structure can make a difference in how the fat is distributed, but for most women, 30% is lean.

O.o

I think you are confusing "not fat" with "lean". I don't know any women that would be labeled "lean" at 30%BF (healthy: yes, hot: yes, lean: no).

Anyway, I found the article to be filled with long winded opinions and not a lot of real intellectual content. Anyone can "write" on the internet.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Eh, extreme leanness for women is normally classified as 15% and under. I don't even consider myself as "extremely" lean at 17%. I too wasn't where I wanted to be at 25%, but my goals were slightly different as figure competitions were my end goal.

Just because one does not feel fit at 25%, does not mean they are necessarily going for "extreme" leanness. It's a bit of a generalization.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

O.o

I think you are confusing "not fat" with "lean". I don't know any women that would be labeled "lean" at 30%BF (healthy: yes, hot: yes, lean: no).

Anyway, I found the article to be filled with long winded opinions and not a lot of real intellectual content. Anyone can "write" on the internet.

Or maybe you are confusing "skinny" with "lean." Most medical professionals would agree that 30% BF is healthy, and that skinny is not. Believe what you want, and do what you want with your own body. Your choice.

I've done my own research and will do what I like with my own body. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

20%-30% is not extreme leanness by any stretch of the imagination. [/b]I hope you are not implying that it is.[/b]

Now, please elaborate on what exactly in my statement got even close to implying that 20-30% is "extreme leanness".

20-30% is average for women, not extreme at all. I would say that over 35% is getting to be too much and less than 15% is getting to be too little. (with a few people on each extreme that carry it well due to their particular bone structure)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    20-30% is average for women, not extreme at all. I would say that over 35% is getting to be too much and less than 15% is getting to be too little. (with a few people on each extreme that carry it well due to their particular bone structure)

no-30% it is what we have now ACCEPTED as average.

30 % is in no way shape or form lean. not in the least.... all it qualifies as is "not fat"- and I am seriously not convined that it is even that.

it is in no way- shape or form- lean. or trim.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

no-30% it is what we have now ACCEPTED as average.

30 % is in no way shape or form lean. not in the least.... all it qualifies as is "not fat"- and I am seriously not convined that it is even that.

it is in no way- shape or form- lean. or trim.

You have a different definition than I do for lean. *shrugs*

"Not fat" = lean