Still seeing the fat girl..

Options
Before i start, i would like to say that im looking for advice, not sympathy.

It doesnt matter to me what other people think of me, so there is no need for anyone to say that... it matters to me what *I* think of me.. but im wondering if this is NORMAL.. do all people who go through a large weight loss also go through a transitional period where they still see fat chick? Do they ever get used to seeing the actual reflection in the mirror? How long does it take? Im just looking for advice. Here is kind of whats going on in my head:

It doesn't matter what i do, what i weigh or how much weight i lose..

I still see the fat girl in the mirror! It pisses me off! I eat pretty well, i exercise despite every challenge that gets in my way..

Ive had two strokes, i have massive health issues and I struggle with pain every day of my life.. yet ive lost weight.
Ive promised myself never to set a goal.. not to let a number define me.. is that where I went wrong? Do i NEED some "final" goal?

Why do i still see myself as the fat girl? Will i ever be proud of the image I've become?? (Not WHO I've become, because i LOVE that girl! but the image..)

Just as a reference, I started out a 246 pounds on June 28th, 2012 and i am currently 162.4 pounds. Im 5'5 1/2 inches tall. I have before & afters in my pictures.. the most current is the one with my profile picture in them.

Thanks ahead for the advice. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• barbaradetz
    barbaradetz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you have always been heavy, you will not stop seeing the fat girl until you reach for an outfit in a size you consider small and it fits you, or you see a number on the scale that belongs to you and is what you consider not fat. Keep taking pictures of yourself though as you lose and take note of how far you've come. Pictures tell the truth even when our self image doesn't. Give yourself credit for your achievements along the way even if you haven't arrived at your final destination yet. When you get there, you will be overjoyed that you didn't give up along the way.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't know if everyone goes through still seeing themselves as bigger... but I know my mind is behind when I look in the mirror. I don't really have any advice since you've obviously taken pictures... that's the only thing that worked for me in helping. And trying on new/old clothes. I was shocked when I could fit into my old clothes.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am 114lbs and still see myself as 140-150 most of the time. Only occasionally in certain outfits do I feel my current size.
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I still see myself as fat. I am also trying to come up with a way to see myself as I actually am. I wish I had advice to give to you. The only thing I can says, you are not alone.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get rid of the old girl....I know you want to see a place so you know where you started from but really how important is it..its just a reminder of the fat girl...you know sometimes its like people we forget how they look if we don't see them in a while...well your keeping those "fat girl" images and things or maybe favorite items and those things could be triggering ...why you cant let her go....I would burn it all its not important to see how far you have come anymore ..you know where you are at...get rid of anything that is a mental image of that old fat girl
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say it's pretty normal to see "what's left" instead of "what's gone" - it is for me anyhow.

I'm paraphrasing a passage from a book by Neale Donald Walsh that's largely about finding peace in the world that goes something like this....

The more you accomplish, the more you realize how much more you could achieve than what you originally set out to do - it's human nature to keep raising the bar as we approach it. The more you improve, the more improvement you become aware of that you could still do.

I'm in way better health now than I was 5 years ago, yet I see more room for improvement now than I did when I was just starting out.

Could it be that?
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think this is something everyone struggles with, especially if you've been big all your life.
    I used to wear a 22 and now wear a 10. Even though I mentally know that I can find my size on a straight size rack, I still get nervous shopping in straight stores because for some reason, I still feel like nothing will fit. I still cringe when I pull on clothes in the dressing room, expecting it to get stuck at my hips or over my boobs and am always surprised when the clothes go on and zip with no struggle.
    I think everyone has that.

What has helped me alot is taking pictures (I take them on the first of each month) and hanging onto a few clothes from when I was at my heaviest.
    When I have bad days where I feel like nothing has changed, I put on my old outfits.
    There's nothing to get your mind right like seeing that a pair of pants that you could barely fit into before is now so loose that it cannot stay up. Or that you can actually fit both of your legs into one pantleg.

And yeah, keep old goal clothes too. I remember the first time I could fit into my winter formal dress from high school. When I bought it, I couldn't fit it even back then, so it literally has never been worn. 7 years later and the tags are still on it. It even still has that fresh store smell still because it's been hanging in the plastic jacket since I tried it on all those years ago and I could not even close it, talkless of zipping it. I tried it a few weeks ago and it was actually loose. I cried like a big disgusting baby, but it was the best feeling ever.
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    I still see the fat girl too..I went from 190 pounds to 128 and I see no difference in the mirror except my clothes size. I think it is the fact I grew up fat that is all. Working out makes me feel always better in those cases plus the old clothes too :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I was not always fat. Only for the past 10 years. Before i had my first stroke, i was about 140 pounds.. and looking back.. appeared TOO thin, and sick looking. Thats only 20 pounds away.. how can i look SO fat to myself now? I just cant seem to wrap my head around it!

I went from a size 22/24 and im now in a size 10/12 and i too cringe and think "that wont fit me!!" when looking for clothes.. which usually ends up with me not even trying them on :frown:

The things that remind me are pulling shirts from my daughters closet, and it does help me to pull out pictures, like my side by sides.. only because i dont even LOOK like the same person... but the weight? I cant see a huge difference! I look like i got a makeover.. my hair is a different color, longer and straight now.. but i wonder now if i had done those things... would you be able to tell that i actually lost weight?

Those are a few things i struggle with.. wanting to change so badly, and now wishing i hadnt changed so much until i reached my weight... whatever that will be!!

It helps to know that im not alone. Thank you to everyone who answered on this. :heart: It truly helps me & I will read again every reply and decide what ill do... maybe give everything.. or nothing a try.

I know my body is my own & no one can tell... but it HAS been 10 years since ive been thin... whats the going weight for someone who is 5'5" now? LOL.. that sounds funny. lol I guess you would say im a larger "boned" person.. i have wide hips and the shoulders of a linebacker. Im curvy, and i like my curves, but i want to look slender. Any thoughts on weight, since i have never set myself a goal weight?? I honestly dont have any ideas!!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have this...I am not even done losing the weight, almost half way though!
    Some times when I look in the mirror, i see fat (especially when im feeling bloated) and I get discouraged. The most bizarre is when I am sitting on the couch...I feel like I still have a bunch of rolls or my tummy is sticking out. When I go to feel...nothing is there anymore. Sometimes I feel my love handles are sticking out...i go to feel, and my back is flat.

What I find helps...is that I stare at myself in the mirror for a long period of time. Especially in a flattering outfit or when I am having a non-bloated day! :D This one is also very weird...but I feel myself all over, usually while I am about to sleep. I feel my arms, my thighs, my back, my butt, my boobs, my tummy...my hips - everything. It is crazy how in the dark, I imagine myself to be so much bigger, but when I feel myself, nothing is what I vision it to feel like. I have done this once a day for a week...and I really felt like my brain was catching up with my body shape/size.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I lost alot of weigh 9 years ago I felt the same way. Ppl would tell me how good I looked but I didnt really see it. I must admit that I was a person with depression at the time and most of my life back then. I also had low self esteem. It wasnt because I grew up heavy or anything, there were other reasons that are besides the point. What I did do is take a lot of pics. I could see the dif on pics but not in the mirror which was weird to me. I still wore big clothes thinking I was still big until one day I went to the dressing rm to grab a 16, then a 14, then...all the way down to an 8 or 9. I couldn't believe it! Eventhough the pics showed it, but the mirror didn't to me. The true relection of yourself is in your head. How do "you" really feel about yourself, at least it was for me. I didn't even realize that I suffered from depression until I was no longer suffering, not saying that you are. What I did do was look in the mirror everyday and tell myself, I love myself, you are beautiful, and thin (or whatever word I said for smaller) I actually said these words over and over daily before I went all the way down. After a while, I started believing that I WAS beautiful and I could see the change finally. It felt weird to "talk" to myself but I felt it was worth trying. And it worked. To this day, I don't have low self esteem (it took more work than self talk to get over low esteem and depression for me) and although I'm larger now, I still feel that I'm beautiful and I love myself. Of course I dont like the fat rolls but I think you get my point. In conclusion, maybe you should take lots of pics and put next to old pics and tell yourself that you are not that same person and that you have come a long way. BUT then again maybe you are the same person. Maybe the issue is internally. Only you would know that...
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    I have this...I am not even done losing the weight, almost half way though!
    Some times when I look in the mirror, i see fat (especially when im feeling bloated) and I get discouraged. The most bizarre is when I am sitting on the couch...I feel like I still have a bunch of rolls or my tummy is sticking out. When I go to feel...nothing is there anymore. Sometimes I feel my love handles are sticking out...i go to feel, and my back is flat.

What I find helps...is that I stare at myself in the mirror for a long period of time. Especially in a flattering outfit or when I am having a non-bloated day! :D This one is also very weird...but I feel myself all over, usually while I am about to sleep. I feel my arms, my thighs, my back, my butt, my boobs, my tummy...my hips - everything. It is crazy how in the dark, I imagine myself to be so much bigger, but when I feel myself, nothing is what I vision it to feel like. I have done this once a day for a week...and I really felt like my brain was catching up with my body shape/size.

This is a really great idea, thanks! Maybe this is what i need to do! Hopefully it will help my brain catch up with my eyeballs!! Hubby is gonna get jealous, though! :laugh:
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    I'd have to say it's pretty normal to see "what's left" instead of "what's gone" - it is for me anyhow.

I'm paraphrasing a passage from a book by Neale Donald Walsh that's largely about finding peace in the world that goes something like this....

The more you accomplish, the more you realize how much more you could achieve than what you originally set out to do - it's human nature to keep raising the bar as we approach it. The more you improve, the more improvement you become aware of that you could still do.

I'm in way better health now than I was 5 years ago, yet I see more room for improvement now than I did when I was just starting out.

Could it be that?

Great quote.. and being slightly OCD... and a woman.. im obviously never satisfied either. lol It's possible I may never SEE or feel completely done, but im going to have to figure some sort of happy medium.. i only have so much more I can lose or im going to disappear!
  • natalierashell
    natalierashell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was 30+ pounds overweight and I have lost most of it. I feel better about myself, but I still feel like a fat girl. I don't think it matters if you have 100 pounds to lose or 30... how we perceive ourselves is what matters. I will eat something unhealthy and complain about it (poor me, huh?) when the girls at work will be like?! "What are you complaining about?!?! You're tiny!" I will never believe them. I just laugh and know that I am always going to be a fat girl at heart. I still look in the mirror after losing the weight over 6 months ago and am surprised not to see a double chin or fat arms in my reflection. I think it will take awhile for me to accept and believe that I am skinny. I don't know what it will take, or how long, but I am hoping that eventually it will sink in and I can be proud of what I look like and feel like.

Sorry, I don't know if that answers your question, just know that you aren't alone. :)
  • JudyBrackney
    JudyBrackney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. I think that is wonderful that you lost that much. You need to pat yourself on the back for it. It isn't easy to loose weight. Some people brag and it come right back on them, so SMILE, BE HAPPY, SAY WTG! ME! I think too that we all have a poor image of ourselves and it doesn't go away. Take a look at your fat picture and look at you know, ok. Love yourself because if you don't know one else will, ok. Great Job! Judy Brackney
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This topic is near and dear to my heart. Over the years i have gained up to 230lb and been as light as 110lb (admittedly a very long time ago now) and I always look the same in the mirror. So not only do I not see the losses.. I don't see the gains either. My brain lives at about 190lb. No matter what. And I dont see weight gain or loss on other people much either. They would have to lose TONNES of weight before I will see it. And I have no idea why. Been that way all my life. So I might try the feeling my body thing in bed and see if it helps. Cause mirror time, photos and loose clothing really doesn't change my perception.
  • igor11
    igor11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

i really like that passage. It's kind of a reminder to remember to take a step and look at how far you've come, but we can always keep going.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I see myself as heavier even though people tell me I have lose weight and I can no longer fit into certain clothes. I don't have anything intelligent to say to get rid of it....mine is due to my bulimia history. I do know that society, with women in particular, has conditioned people to obsess over weight. Everywhere you look fashion magazines put in celebs that look so wonderful in their bikini bodies, and shaming those who dare get to a size 8. With me, while I do like progress I always have a fear that I will become heavier than I want to be again, which will trigger the old cycle again. I am afraid to see the current good when I fear it will be all taken away again I guess. You aren't alone in your thinking, even if the reasons why vary.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I see the new me, and sometimes I see the old (OR - what I THOUGHT the old me looked like. I probably looked worse!!)

I think part of it is body fat% - when that gets down lower it will make a difference.

I think part of it is that we still see...us. It's still kind of the same proportions, just smaller. And that is hard to gain perspective on - which is where the pictures come in handy. Just looking in the mirror without your old self standing next to you doesn't give you something to compare to.

I also wore a 22/24 - and am now getting too small for most of my 10's. I wear scrubs at work, and can get the size smalls onto my body. I used to wear the 3XL. Yet I still see fat, especially certain angles.

When I'm at the gym with a certain couple of guys who are the football coaches at the highschool...I look tiny. I can't see ANY fat then. I *love* those guys. (he, he...but it's the persepective thing - me compared to them - and I can see how small I am. Me next to a size 2 lady, even if I *am* more muscular - I see BIG!)

One day I was at the gym and there were two bikini-body-builders who were headed into a competition (so they were at their tiniest). They were drop dead gorgeous to me. Stunning. You know what one of them said? "When will it ever be enough? I still see myself as fat. Even though I know I am not." That was most of the conversation I heard. But it was all I needed to hear. It has helped me to remind myself of it.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would say it is normal. I think most people, and I stress most, battle with self image. I was different than you in that I for the longest time saw a skeleton/bean pole in the mirror when I looked, I had several friends yell at me, telling me that I was crazy, because I was in pretty good shape. Even as I got older, stopped working out and balloned up, I got up to 250, I could not see the weight gain, until I looked in pictures. Now as I come down, I battle between wanting to be healthy and trying to figure out what healthy is.

You want to set me off, pull out the old BMI index, which says that I am not overweight, but obese.

I think you need a number though, just to give you something to aim for, and to see progress, but I do not think any number is locked in stone. But it tells you, "hey I accomplished this, what else can I do?" And I think that is the key, as you get closer to the number, recognize that you can change it.

The key is feeling happy and confident in your own skin. (OK, so health might play a role too.) But the reality is you are not alone.