*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    @_tru_ - nothing wrong with being crazy, as Paul Simon said, I'm "still crazy after all these years!" You've got me wondering with the juxtapostion of "can't sleep in the buff" and "going back to full-on brunette"................... :laugh: But I won't ask! Incidentally, Lil Miss Fitbit doesn't wake me up at night, but she was recording that I woke up kinda 20 times a night when my phone app said twice which I was aware of. Moving her to my right wrist has solved that problem and made her much closer to the phone app and with results I can agree to. She's given me a badge today for climbing more than 10 floors! As long as I realise she's female and therefore totally illogical, we can get along together, though I wouldn't go as far as to say we were having an affair. Not yet anyway.

@meg - check out this website - http://www.tardisbuilders.com/ - everything you could possibly need and more, I look forward to seeing the pics :bigsmile:

Funny talking about kids and boxes, when I had my third birthday, my parents, having scrimped and saved, as my Dad was stil at university, bought me a kiddy car. Apparently I ignored the car and played in the box it came in all day! Some things never change. Or so history relates! Me, I'm not sure whether they had boxes in those bad ol' days............

I've just ordered a new laptop, a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook (courtesy of my company!). My current one, also a Dell Studio XPS 13 is now over 4 years old and showing signs of age (battery not holding a charge as long as it should, wifi dropping out more than it should, etc) so I felt it was time. I have been buying Dell for some 18 years now and when I have gone 'off piste' I have had a bad experience (Sony, HP, etc) so I stick to what I know, their next day business support is awesome and I think basically the product is good if not cutting edge. In theory should be delivered on or before 9th August so I will keep you posted.

Ok, off to Die Vaterland (Germany) tomorrow for four days. Sadly I have to get up ultra early, but I can cope with that..........I think! I always enjoy Germany and Bavaria where I am going is such a beautiful region, temperatures are expected to be over 30 degrees (that's around 90 degrees in US money) so should be pleasant, if not warm even!

Aufwiedersehen for now friends!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends, I'm sorry I've been MIA. With the end of term and little misses birthday party and preparing to leave I feel like I've hardly sat down. Secondly I've been a very naughty girl lately with food and it showed this morning at the gym as I trained with my trainer. At one point I was sure there was no oxygen in the gym and that she was plotting to kill me. The evil kettlebells were back and as heavy as ever. I'm rather sleep deprived at the moment too so it was no an enjoyable session. Thank god I was seeing my hair stylist after and he made me feel better!! Probably lost a pound with the hair I spontaneously decided to chop off!!

So Kenzie and I fly to Canada (Toronto) bright and early Thursday morning. I am stressing big time about the flight as a one year old on my lap for 8 hours is not my idea of a good time. She took her first steps in Saturday (!!!!) so I see lots of us toddling up and down the aisle. I also don't see me being able to eat. The tray barely comes down as is but she will be taking up all the room. A sandwich from Boots me thinks will have to suffice. Wish me luck as Kenzie has been uber cranky the last two days and I'm really hoping it passes before the flight.

I am planning to take workout hear with me to run. Food at home is always an issue. My parents are good cooks but in recent years have succumbed to quick and easy and not nutritious. Plus going home always means having stuff I can't get in the UK. I will try to check in but as this time is always so precious it may not happen.

Ron / have fun in Germany. It's one of those countries I still want to get too.
    Your tales of miss fitbit make me giggle.

Tru I'm a real redhead and have been contemplating going even redder but my hiatal dresser didn't seem impressed! I can't sleep a la buff either...this fear that people will see me...don't ask who as I haven't a clue!

Jane: I see TOM had been being evil. We really should shoot that *kitten*!!

Meg: I can't see your last comment as on my phone but your running continues to be fab!!!!
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    Just popping on to say: Have a FANTASTIC day! Will catch up when I have more time. xo
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @Ron, things going more smoothly with lil miss fitbit? I checked out that website for TARDIS building, I actually have been to it before! Used some plans from it when I built the boy's cardboard ones.

@Tru, I can't recall how the subject got brought up, but there's no sleeping in the buff for me either! LOL, I'm too afraid one of the boys would wander in to use our bathroom and me being my usual self would not be covered with any blankets. Funny that you went brunette... I've been thinking about going red! :laugh: Been a long time though so not sure I would....

@Steph, your trip home is coming up day after tomorrow! I bet you're excited! I don't envy you the flight with baby girl on your lap the whole way. I flew once when my oldest was 19 months and it was only a 2 hour flight, and not really fun at all. But at least my sister was with me, so we took turns with him. Hoping things go well foodwise for you! Have a fun time :bigsmile:

So, not much going on with me right now, guess that's why I've been a bit quiet on here lately. I do need to go for a run today. I'm about 2 miles shy of hitting 50 miles run this month! And since it's the 31st, well, I better get it done! I think I'm going to take measurements today too, so that they can be included in my monthly numbers that I report to my FB friends.
    Have a good day everyone!
  • joker5122
    joker5122 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I need to lose at least 50 lbs...preferably a little more. That will put me into the best shape of my adult life. I have a 6 week old baby girl at home and have already lost 25 lbs since her birth. That just melted right off in the first 3 weeks now I've been struggling to get anymore weight off. Any suggestions or supportive words of advice would help. I started exercising and using the food diary this week. Hoping to stick with it and see some results!

-Jenn
  • joker5122
    joker5122 Posts: 5
    Options
    That is awesome!!!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    @jenn - welcome to the thread! Stick with this website and with this thread - we'll try to help with the motivation!

@meg - you are doing an awesome job with the running - 50 miles in the month is brilliant. When is your next race?

@steph - think you've left by now! have a great time back home, hope the eating goes well and look forward to hearing your stories when you get back. I can't say I envy you on the flight with the little one on your lap the whole time but it will be worth it once you get her there. Sounds like your trainer session was hard work - you made me laugh about the thought of all the weight lost by chopping your hair off. Think I could probably have similar results doing that - but wouldn't necessarily help with my measurements:laugh:

not much to report at my end although we have achieved one thing today. The wardrobe that we bought when we bought the house (beginning February this year) has finally made it upstairs to the bedroom. The people who delivered it wouldn't carry it upstairs for us and it was simply too heavy for me and my husband to get upstairs. We don't have particularly strong, muscular blokes in the family - so it has been a feature in the living room for too many months. But this morning a couple of guys came round to do some work on our doors - and between them they have heaved it upstairs. So we finally have a wardrobe to put clothes in - upstairs where it should be. Yay! Working from home today then on a training course tomorrow and meeting a friend after work for a drink. Haven't caught up with him for months so should be good.

Have a great Thursday all!
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    @Steph - Wishing you a happy flight!

@Ron - Wishing you a happy Augtoberfest!

@Jane - Wishing you happy clothes hanging!

@Meg - Wishing you happy weight benching buying with your newfound cash!

@Joker - Wishing you a happy welcome to our group!

I have been cleaning out. Too much stuff. Not sure where it all came from? I swear there are little monsters that move stuff into my house while I am sleeping. Seriously!

Have a wonderful evening!
  • janetay01
    Options
    @tru - hmmmm I sympathise with the monster concern. Whilst sorting and hanging clothes last night, we had several moments of wondering how we have so much stuff - and where did it all come from! Going to do a sort and clear out this weekend.

And talking of weekends, yay it's Friday!! Anyone have any fun plans?
  • ron2e
    Options
    Finished what I had to do in Germany, a couple of hours before I leave for the airport, and I don't feel like doing documentation, that's for next week, so I thought it was time for an update. I've had a great trip, very productive from a business point of view, the hotel was great, had a wonderful meal last night of "Gamberoni alla Griglia" (Grilled Prawns) which were perfectly cooked, large and succulent, yumm, my mouth is watering thinking about them! Eating today is going to be difficult as eating before I fly is too early, it will be 9:30pm plus when I get home so not ideal (might just pick up some fish and chips, hell I can afford the calories.....!). Whatever, I won't starve, I can live of the fat of the land for the time being :laugh: Next week I am at home, lots of work to do but at least it will be quiet and I can get on with it and control my diet a little better.

@Steph - don't know whether you're monitoring but I guess you're well and truly in Canada now, though I'm still not sure Canada is a real place, though I've actually been there, though I'm reaching the conclusion that is a figment of my imagination....... Anyhow enjoy your time with your parents, they'll love having the grandchild around, I remember my parents first time they met my son when we stayed with them when he was around 18 months and a great time was had by all.

@Meg - you're really going to have to do better this month, 50 miles is neither here not there :wink: I do more than that every week. Ok that's in my car, not running, but still...................... Lil Miss Fitbit has settled down though she is still alternately flirtatious and couldn't GAF. I was really annoyed with her last night giving me an extra 24 calories for walking 2 km in 80+ degree heat, I think I deserved more than that. Also it was uphill all the way back and she added 1 floor. Lucky I was in a happy state because of my meal, I didn't throw her against the wall and as I'm putting her into the wristband for sleep monitoring, she says "READY?". I'm sure she winked but I can't swear to it!

@joker5122 - we're all mad on this thread, particularly _tru_ who gardens and megalicious Meg who runs, hope you're as mad as we are :bigsmile:

@Jane - glad to hear about the wardrobe, now all you need is a lion and a witch and you have the full set!

@_tru_ - many thanks for the German language video, I had a good laugh! Incidentally, you do know when October fest actuall is? Yes, that's right, September......... strange people the Germans :laugh:
  • TheRunningGuppy
    Options
    Summer... thread deserted....

Anyway! Hi y'all :bigsmile: SIL is visiting this week, have fun hanging out with her. Tomorrow going to the the county fair and likely to eat horrible food. Horrible TASTY food! Also, she's about to come pick me up, heading out to a natural oils as medicine class this evening, so I'll catch up with you all later!
  • janetay01
    Options
    Meg - county fair and natural oils as medicine sounds like fun - did you learn lots of interesting stuff about the healing powers of oils? I assume we are talking aromatherapy type oils rather than eating oils?!

Ron - well I always wanted a wardrobe that could take me to a secret fantasy world. It always sounded like such fun but I'm not sure this one is going to deliver on my childhood dream :)

Yep, summer does appear to = a deserted thread! Summer for me continues to mean very, very busy at work hence why I'm quiet in here at the moment. Took my mum for lunch at the weekend for her birthday - then was so busy nearly forgot to phone yesterday to wish her happy birthday on the actual day- ooops! Nothing much else to report - waiting for lots of people to respond to emails about work to do on the house and getting very frustrated. I know it's holiday time but when I go in holiday from work I put an email out of office message and phone message on - I don't see why they can't do the same!! Anyway, sorry for the rant! Have a great Wednesday all.

Edited as spelling on my phone was shocking!
  • Subzeromambo
    Subzeromambo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just holding my place on this thread until I have time to post!
  • Subzeromambo
    Subzeromambo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am just beginning the journey to lose 50 lbs. It is tough because physical stress stimulates my immune system to overreact. It is a fine line between having fun exercising and ending up in the hospital followed by up to six months in bed. I am hoping that this time I can slow myself down enough that I avoid getting sick!

I need lots of support and inspiration. Meg and Ron, I already find your stories very inspirational. Keep up the good work!
  • ron2e
    Options
    Welcome Subzero, just love your profle pic, but with the greatest of respect you don't really know how fast my couch is! I have the fastest couch in the South East of England!! Faster even than Jane's wardrobe, my couch is a turbo couch! If exercise is a problem, don't do it, follow my 'non-exercise' path, drink whisky, eat chocolate and lose weight. I am the living proof it works!! Forget epinephrin (adrenaline) highs they do you no good in the end uness you want to fight or flee, stay cool, calm and collected and lose weight gracefully.

I have to be honest and say I am not inspirational. This whole thing has been so easy. Calculate your calories, don't eat over your allowance, bingo! over 2 lbs a month gone. I'm a fraud really. But I am a happy fraud in the way I have turned my life around. And to put things in persepective, I have lost around 65 lbs, still have 75 to go. Meg is the awesome one, the Forest Gump of MFP (Run Meg, run), she's taken to running like a duck to water, and actually enjoys it (baffles me, but whatever rocks your boat!) and loses weight by the handful.

@Meg - you'll have to run faster to catch me up :laugh: Castor oil is a natural oil that will give you a good run for your money, should suit you down to the ground ;)) I suppose you're up on Peter Capaldi being the new Dr Who? I'm kinda disappointed, good actor as he is, I think they missed an opportunity here to bring in a woman or even a black woman (gasp! What next, a black American President??). The mileage they could have got out of changed relationships while pleasing the more modern fans would have been incredible. Personally I'm not certain I want to watch it any more though I will give it a chance.

@Jane - you get people to respond to emails about work on the house? Wow! My tame tradesmen hardly respond to the telephone, far less email!! I find the best way is to leave a message on their land line................... However I do think if anyone self employed can afford to take a holiday, they're charging too much!

I've written a new blog post for those who have missed it. I sometimes think I cast pearls before swine............ No not you dear!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    Options
    @Ron, yep, I have heard the Peter Capaldi news. Should be interesting. Seeing all sorts of meme's from when he was on in the Pompeii episode. As far as castor oil goes, I'm thinking I'll avoid that one unless desperate. LOL And yes, I can see I need to run more. Been using castor oil? Is that your trick? :wink:

@Subzero, welcome! Thanks for the compliment. And whether Ron believes it or not, he IS an inspiration! Hope things go well for you with exercising. Just listen to your body :smile:

@Jane, the oils class was really interesting. The presenter's mom was diagnosed late last year with stage 4 cancer and they started her on using Frankincense from the start, among others, and while not in remission, she's living life normally again. Was sent home with hospice to die basically, but they say the oils have mostly healed her. Just that, and some personal examples I've seen make me want to start using them, but it's not cheap to get started, I'll need to set aside some money first. At least $150. These oils are above food grade, so can be taken internally or externally, depending on the need. My mom in law loves them, has been helped a lot by them.
    As soon as I get off work today (yes, I'm working!) I am heading out to the fair with my hubby's 2 sisters and their kids, and mine of course. And I think hubby will meet us there when he gets off work. So I'll spend a lot of time walking and corralling kids, and eating corn dogs and elephant ears and funnel cakes. Yay for deep fried foods! LOL
    Hope you get responses to those emails!

Going to go out for at least a 3 mile, maybe 4 mile, run tomorrow evening. Haven't had a chance to run since Saturday, and I need to get at least one run in before the 8K on this coming Saturday morning. I'm thinking I need to find a run to sign up for in September, something to keep me motivated. Then in October I've got the 10K! And in November, I start my half marathon training program. Eek! Sounds crazy to even think about!
  • janetay01
    Options
    @subzero - welcome! Stick with us - we'll give you support and try to make sure you don't do too much!

@ron - you might well have the fastest couch in the south east but my wardrobe has stamina to burn. Why else do you think it resisted the trip upstairs for so many months:laugh: oh dear - racing furniture - we may be mad! Not sure about the Capaldi appointment - but then I became thoroughly bored with Matt Smith. Like you, I'm not convinced that I will continue to watch it. And regarding work on the house - the sad truth is that I don't get responses from them. I would have thought they would want the work - though perhaps they are really busy as people improve their current houses rather than do battle with the UK housing market. Who knows. I will start pestering over the phone now and if that doesn't work I'll find different people who do want the work. And I agree - they clearly earn too much if they can take holidays!

@meg - the oils session sounds intriguing. I always find it interesting how people see such change to serious illness through stuff like this. Might read up more on the finer detail. Saw your low calorie day comment on the feed and I'm going to see how I do today with a low day - just lots of liquids. It will probably make me unspeakable to live with but I'm interested to know how I deal with it and whether it has a positive effect.

On my way into work now - late after a dental checkup - ugh! Need some work doing to fix a filling - just the kind of cost I could have done without right now! But never mind - the sun is shining and it's nearly weekend. Have a good day all.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    Options
    @Jane, oh the joy of dental work. I know that one since I recently had a filling almost the size of half a tooth put in. Ouch! On both my mouth and wallet... How did your low calorie day go? I'm doing one today. That fair food the other day messed me up enough that I feel a need for it.

@Ron! Exercising!??! Shame on you, you're the "not exercise" guru! LOL I'm pretty sure you can't call running up the stairs anything except exercise. Unless you're being chased by zombies. Were you?

Like I said, I'm doing a low calorie day today. Going for 1100 or so. I hope this works out all right with the race I'm doing tomorrow. From what I recall last week, I did fine running the day after, so it should be OK. My race tomorrow is a fundraiser for a historic lighthouse about 35 minutes from where I live. I'm kind of excited to run at the beach, haven't been able to do that yet. Which reminds me, I need to figure out where check-in is... I'll try to get some good pics tomorrow and share them with you all.
    Sunday, my hubby takes off for a work thing in Denver, and won't be back until Thursday (bummer, I hate it when he's gone!), and then I take off on Friday morning to go visit my best friend who lives 3 hours away, and the boys and I are staying through Monday! My friends son is my older son's best friend, so the kids are really excited as well. It's going to be a very fun weekend. Their community has a pool, and they also live right on the beach by Puget Sound, literally a 3 minute walk to get on the beach. Haven't seen my friend since May, so this is going to be a good visit. Can you tell I'm excited?
    Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • ron2e
    Options
    @Jane - as Meg says, the joys of dental work. After years of going for check ups and having no work, I failed in March this year and had to have about £700 of work mainly small fillings, but including a root canal............. Fortunately, after decades of Dental Phobia, I conquered that about 20 years ago with the help of a sympathetic dentist and it really doesn't bother me now at all.

@Meg - I call running up stairs "running up stairs" and definitelly not exercise! Or maybe I have found a single exercise gene in my DNA............. Anyhow, no zombies were involved, but I do worry about dementia! Good luck with your race, I'm sure you'll rock it!

I'm having a semi fast day today, nothing to eat so far (5pm) and looking forward to dinner tonight, and maybe a whisky........ Should I? Oh go on then! I was going to go shopping early this morning but it poured with rain, so I didn't go, and had no fruit for breakfast. I could have had eggs, but decided to do a partial fast day. I find it quite fun for some reason........... like I said, dementia!

Well tomorrow I am not doing a race, but might do a bit of non-exercise in the form of dog walking, if it is dry.

Have a good weekend all :happy:
  • CarolinaTK50
    Options
    Hello to all. Newly joined MFP. Anxious to make new friends and read what you all have found successful. I'm a 50 year old Nurse. Healthy aside from well controlled Asthma. Thank heavens its not exercise induced. I'm fairly active and spend an average of 4 hours weekly in my garden and mowing. I use a push mower type for exercise.

But I love to eat. All the fried foods and sweets are my vice. So my outside exercise still is not enough alone. I'm on day 7 of healthier eating. I did join a bariatric center near me. They reccommend no more than 20 fat grams a day. Not much at all. I want to lose 70 pounds so any advice and tips is highly appreciated. Feel free to friend me also. Thanks guys :)
    <~~~~~~~~~wants to be fabulous at 50 !