Does protein make you fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• wilburdonovan91
    wilburdonovan91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    just remember that excess protein is converted to carbs through gluconeogenesis
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    Great Question!
    Protein will help you feel full/satisfied longer. Protein & the right carbs aftera good workout will help muscles recover and help to avoid soreness,in addition to storing the right energy for the next workout instead of converting to fat.

This link has all the information about how much protein a person needs based on many variables, your fitness objective, gender and activity level ect. While it can get feel a bit complex at first, you can hone in on what closest matches your personal goals.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
    The fact that you are asking the question is the best step in finding out what is best for you!

:-)

J

thank you very much! i will have a read! :)
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Of all the macro nutrients protein is the most anabolic and thermogenic, so no!!!
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Too many CALORIES = FAT

Too much protein = Kidney problems etc...

Can't tell from the layout of your post if this is sarcasm or not? But unless you have a preexisting kidney problem protein won't damage them at all.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Very wrong and common with people that are uneducated on such things. I think the common idea that protein makes you fat is from things like the weight gain/bulking powders that people seem to only associate as 'protein'.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great alternative, stick with it! Protein helps you burn fat, even if your just doing cardio and not doing any muscle training. Just keep your calories down elsewhere so the shakes fit into your diet.

What?

My guess is that she thinks that protein burns fat because protein helps to build muscle. However, at a deficit you are not building muscle, though you might add some lean body mass which could "burn" more calories than fat. Relying on adding muscle/LBM to burn calories is WAY overestimated though. If you replace 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of muscle you will only increase your BMR by 20 calories per day.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Over all one needs to achieve a proper balance in the foods eaten preferably daily. When I add an item to my food diary for the day I try to keep the totals at the bottom of the page in mind. I don't worry if the fat collum is under though. MFP may not work to a personal tde but it does make a good effort at giving us information to balance the principal food groups. Over time you will find what works for you, though sometimes you may just want a slight change.

Since I have been here, 10/11 weeks I have lost 19 lb. Logging everything daily is keeping me going.

all the best.
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    Very wrong and common with people that are uneducated on such things. I think the common idea that protein makes you fat is from things like the weight gain/bulking powders that people seem to only associate as 'protein'.

i choose to be positive about your post tho it sounds a bit harsh to me! People are misinformed - i don't think anyone would appreciate being called uneducated.
    thanks anyway!
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    Over all one needs to achieve a proper balance in the foods eaten preferably daily. When I add an item to my food diary for the day I try to keep the totals at the bottom of the page in mind. I don't worry if the fat collum is under though. MFP may not work to a personal tde but it does make a good effort at giving us information to balance the principal food groups. Over time you will find what works for you, though sometimes you may just want a slight change.

Since I have been here, 10/11 weeks I have lost 19 lb. Logging everything daily is keeping me going.

all the best.

thank you very much! :smile:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

i choose to be positive about your post tho it sounds a bit harsh to me! People are misinformed - i don't think anyone would appreciate being called uneducated.
    thanks anyway!

"Uneducated on such things" isn't an insult. It simply means you didn't know any better. No one knows any better until it's been explained to them.
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    Hey everyone! :)

I'm in a journey to lose weight... maybe about 16 lbs.! :(
    I'm 25 years old and I currently weigh 150 lbs.... height is about 164cm so I’m overweight and truth hurts!

At the moment, I am limiting my calories intake to 1200kcal and doing 30 mins of cardio twice / 3 times a week - I hate exercising so I do stuff that I enjoy like skipping, playing futsal or badminton every week.
    I also take meal replacement in the afternoon! So that is about 200 kcal. It has about 15gm of protein in it. So some of my friends are saying that protein can make you fat if you are not exercising. So I’m quite worried about this. I don’t really exercise every day you see… So does that mean I can’t take my shake?

My reasoning: A woman needs about 46gm of protein in her daily diet. I don’t really enjoy food with high protein and I don’t really eat them. So I feel my shake is helping me to get enough protein. So I feel it’s ok. But I may be wrong!
    So is it really a bad idea to take protein?

A woman would need 46g of protein if she weighed 56 pounds, otherwise, that is an extremely deficient protein intake...

can i just ask? i only work out like 2 / 3 times a week - and there are just light exercises like skipping and playing sports. so when i calculate my protein requirement (kg * 0.8).. my protein requirement is only like 55 gm! (tell me if i'm wrong with my calculation... i read this online)
    how is that you say 46 is way too little for me? it's lower than 54 of course but that's not a huge difference tho..
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! :)

I'm in a journey to lose weight... maybe about 16 lbs.! :(
    I'm 25 years old and I currently weigh 150 lbs.... height is about 164cm so I’m overweight and truth hurts!

At the moment, I am limiting my calories intake to 1200kcal and doing 30 mins of cardio twice / 3 times a week - I hate exercising so I do stuff that I enjoy like skipping, playing futsal or badminton every week.
    I also take meal replacement in the afternoon! So that is about 200 kcal. It has about 15gm of protein in it. So some of my friends are saying that protein can make you fat if you are not exercising. So I’m quite worried about this. I don’t really exercise every day you see… So does that mean I can’t take my shake?

My reasoning: A woman needs about 46gm of protein in her daily diet. I don’t really enjoy food with high protein and I don’t really eat them. So I feel my shake is helping me to get enough protein. So I feel it’s ok. But I may be wrong!
    So is it really a bad idea to take protein?

A woman would need 46g of protein if she weighed 56 pounds, otherwise, that is an extremely deficient protein intake...

can i just ask? i only work out like 2 / 3 times a week - and there are just light exercises like skipping and playing sports. so when i calculate my protein requirement (kg * 0.8).. my protein requirement is only like 55 gm! (tell me if i'm wrong with my calculation... i read this online)
    how is that you say 46 is way too little for me? it's lower than 54 of course but that's not a huge difference tho..

.8 grams of protein Per kg of BW is fine I would probably aim for a least 1.1g of protein per body weight though

A lot of people are under the impression that you need 1gram of protein per lb for optimum hypertrophy but its not true. Make sure you hit that minimum value though.
  • lovelytanya87
    Options

.8 grams of protein Per kg of BW is fine I would probably aim for a least 1.1g of protein per body weight though

A lot of people are under the impression that you need 1gram of protein per lb for optimum hypertrophy but its not true. Make sure you hit that minimum value though.

Maybe i'll increase mine a bit then! thank you! :)
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt have thought so as I did the Ducan Diet a while a go and after the 5-7 days of just protein you do alternate days of protein only days and i lost loads of weight!

X