No Food, Just Ice & Water for 3 days!!

Options
124»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hello "No Food...", I have been reading "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels (she is so awesome and knows what she is talking about!). And in her book there is a section on Fasting and Cleansing, it is very interesting, she says that she is against any fasting and cleansing because it is disastrous for your metabolism and for your long term health. She goes on to say that "fasting depletes the body of important nutrients, essential minerals and energy and it is totally ineffective and counterproductive for weight loss". She says in her book that the few pounds that are lost in the beginning of the fast are only from water...which once you stop your "fast" the water will come back. Jillian says that she fasted for 7 days (I know that you say you are only doing it for 3...) and she lost 8lbs...2 weeks after her fast was over she gained 15lbs BACK! AND that it took her metabolism 6 MONTHS to get back on track.

As I read on the section explained some of the side effects of "fasting" and they include: weakness, nausea, headaches, and can even induse depression. In some extreme cases, extended fasts lead to disturbances of heart rhythm and death!

She goes on to say that "for those of you that think that you are going to detoxify your system, that theory is a load of BULL. There has been no EVIDENCE to suggest that toxins are removed from fat cells when fasting. Infact, you burn very little fat when you are fasting, and what you do burn is mostly MUSCLE. The best way to detox your system is to start eating right, drinking lots of water, and letting exercise burn all your stored fat." She goes on to say that unless you are fasting for RELIGIOUS purposes or are under doctors orders to treat a specific illness, AVOID fasting or toxin flushing at all costs.

I just wanted to pass this information along, I had no idea about this and found this very very interesting. I hope that this helps you. Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Making the Cut by Jillian Michaels- Awesome book to have as information!
    Wait, doesn't Jillian have a detox/cleansing product?

Yes she does and that makes me quite the fraud!!!

I do like Jillian's attitude on some things, but in the end she is out for only the almightly dollar and that is what turns me off about her............

Other than that, I kind of have her same attitude toward the lifestyle change part, but that is another subject............

To the original poster:

I do seasonally done master cleanse (aka the lemonade diet) for up to 10 days...............

I do it for spiritual and healing practices.

The point that most people are not seeing is the fact that YES the liver and kidneys are there to detox us and remove the toxins from our body……………however, that scenario exists with people that are eating organic fruits and veggies, raw nuts, meats that are free of hormones, antibiotics and god only knows what else………..

Our bodies can have build up of toxic metals also……………..

The detox cleanses ARE needed with all the crap that is in our food supply.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    What the heck... people are still responding to this months later???
  • snowflowr82
    snowflowr82 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How did the fast go? :)
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    3 days could work for you but i would say only one day because any more than that and you will just be so tired i reckon x
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What the heck... people are still responding to this months later???
    I actually didnt see the date on the post before I responded, but I never saw the results of how it went for you.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    It went very wonderful . Thank you all . I have done it twice now.
    No headaches, I was not tired.
    Spiritually , Mentally, even Physically better.
    I am very happy I tried it. It is some thing I will continue to do every few months.
    =0)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't have seizures from flushing out the sodium in your body. Seizure can cause permanent brain damage,

From WebMD
    "Missing out on essential nutrients can lead to side effects such as fatigue, dizziness, hair loss, gallstones, cold intolerance, electrolyte imbalance, and heart damage. A lack of fiber in your diet from not eating whole fruits and vegetables can lead to constipation and other digestive ailments. You also can lose lean body mass if you don't get enough protein in your liquid diet.

"but your colon will be clean, until you take your next food intake! Then you can start all over again!
  • katthomas
    katthomas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If it's for Spiritual reasons and you feel God absolutely leading you to do this to focus less on food
    then i'm all for it
    if it's strictly for weightloss
    i'm against it...
    Good luck
    and pray during your fast or you gain nothing

100% agree :happy:
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    MLB,
    Lived to tell about it. This is one long topic. I had to skip through the religious stuff. Glad it went well for you and who ever else desides to do it.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    If it's for Spiritual reasons and you feel God absolutely leading you to do this to focus less on food
    then i'm all for it
    if it's strictly for weightloss
    i'm against it...
    Good luck
    and pray during your fast or you gain nothing

100% agree :happy:

I would NEVER tell anyone to do this for weightloss !!
    There are too many negative, that out way positive.. if it is for weighloss!!
    This should be done only after researched, and if you have spoken to your doctor!!

=0) For me it works.. for others Maybe not so much