Misleading food! What did you underestimate?

Options

Replies

• babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Oh how I love thee..
  • jezy_jass
    jezy_jass Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    PB&J...just logged one for lunch & the darn thing was 335, for just the sandwich. I'll be re-thinking my paniced "running late for work, so now what do I take for lunch today" question next time it comes up.
  • apcartwright
    apcartwright Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    All the sugar in fruits and vegetables
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    peanut butter :/ I love the stuff, and even though its good fat, its still fat -_-"

oh and white bread. that kills me.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    basically all of my cookie recipes. The chocolate chip ones by an embarrassing amount. Lol.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I believe that IHOP uses pancake batter in their omelets.... or so the rumor goes?!

Its true. When I was younger I used to work there .
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My friends and I were out all night driving home, and decided to stop at Ihop. Not the healthiest choice :P. phone was dead so no mfp D:. So I chose a GARDEN OMLETTE. Literally, tomatoes, peppers, onions mushrooms and cheddar...so i got home and checked....how is that 920 calories?! Crazy. I thought maybe 500 calories and that was pushing it. What are some foods you underestimated?

An Ihop omelet got me too - until I read the description and figured out why it was so high. They put pancake batter in the eggs to make the omelet light and fluffy. TOTAL SABOTAGE!!!

OMG! pancake batter in the eggs?! MADNESS!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Trail mix I love trail mix 160 calories for 3tbl spoons I could easily eat 4 cups worth
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Grits... 500 calories for a generous serving of a SIDE ITEM!! Sneaky!
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    mmm ihop!
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Definitely nuts and granola. Sometimes I eat them right out the bag without thinking. But you can easily eat enough calories for a whole meal - thinking that it's okay because they are "healthy".

Oh, and bananas! I didn't realize that there was so much sugar in them! My trainer told me to limit myself to eating maybe 2 or 3 per week. I was eating them daily in my oatmeal for breakfast.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's weird like me who tend to underestimate "cold dishes"?

Somehow when I eat a piece of beef that's part of a cold dish, I feel there's less calorie in that piece of beef than if it was served hot...

hahahah this is totally me!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! leftover chinese food? pizza? Doesn't count. it's cold.

But only with foods that are previously cooked. cereal and yogurt I don't feel that way about.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I fortunately noticed this before I bought it, but I was looking at muffins for a snack, saw the label, said like 270 calories. I thought, "270 calories, that's not too bad." Glad I also noticed that the serving size was 1/3 of a muffin. Dafuq? Who eats a third of a muffin?
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and cheese. It's not fair! :noway:
    ^^this^^

Seriously! how can mac and cheese (just talking Kraft here...) be so many freakin' calories!!! That isn't even talking about fresh mac and cheese... can't even begin to wonder at the calories in that... and I LOVE the stuff!!!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Healthy Paleo snacks! If it's healthy then I can eat it when I want, yeah right, I ended up eating tons of carbs and over 2600 calories a day. No wonder I started to gain :ohwell:
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Mexican restaurant tortilla chips with salsa for me. The salsa usually isn't too bad calorie-wise but the chips are usually like 150-170 per 15 chips. In the past I could down the whole basket of chips, and work on a second basket before the meal even came. That's like 600 plus calories NOT INCLUDING the actual meal.

I think its a cruel joke that most excellent salsas are like 5 calories per tablespoon, but tortilla chips are ridiculously high in calories
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I over or underestimate here, but rice is hard for me to log since the label is typically based on dry rice... who eats dry rice? LOL. Any suggestions on how to calculate? I guess it depends on how much water and how long the rice is cooked. :grumble: I'm on rice eating strike.

It's also hard for me to log Indian food... there are so many spices and a lack of nutrition info available online.

Ummm....adding water and heat to rice doesn't change the calorie content of the rice. So, you measure it dry, then cook it. If you measure 1/4 cup dry and it comes out as 1/2 cooked...then you ate and log 1/4 cup dry. Same with dry beans.
  • cfergusontx
    Options
    The IHOP Simple & Fit Vegetable Omelet with Spinach/Mushrooms & Tomatoes w/Mixed Fruit is only 310 calories so your Garden Omelet may have included hash browns and toast or bacon maybe?

Here is a link to IHOP's Simple & Fit Menu:

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/simple-and-fit
  • mary29033
    Options
    There is NOTHING at I Hop that is a good choice! I Hop puts pancake batter into the omelets. Seriously - just ask a server. Not good for those eating gluten free because I am pretty sure it doesn't say "we put high calorie, wheat-based pancake batter in your omelet." LOL

Yeah, do your homework ahead of time when traveling. Basically, I check the websites of the restaurants I most frequently eat at. I have a list of what I'd order if the opportunity to eat out comes up (but I basically cook at home when I'm trying to lose weight.) And pack yourself some snacks that you can eat if all else fails. I pretty much always have a Kind bar or something similar in my bag, and I know an iced coffee w/o sugar will tide me over at a restaurant if my friends and I stop somewhere.

I know if I go to Olive Garden, I get Apricot Chicken. If I go to Denny's I get an egg-white omelet. If I go to McDonalds, I get a grilled chicken wrap without sauce or mayo. If I go to California Dreaming, I get a CD salad and eat half. Starbucks...skinny iced coffee...etc. etc. etc.

I don't eat out often, I work long hours. But I plan ahead. If I am driving and stop at a gas station/rest stop for food, I know what my choices are and I PLAN. It's all about making informed choices and PLANNING. A Diet Coke and a bag of baked chips is better then grabbing a muffin out of the bakery case.

And if you are someplace new? Ask the server - What's in this omelet? Can you make it with no butter or grease, can I get egg-whites only? Can you use 1/2 the usual amount of cheese? Laugh and say, I'm trying to not blow my diet...if you are nice about it they will usually bend over backward to accommodate, and then tip accordingly! A six-egg omelet (very common) is 432 calories just in the eggs! But 6 egg-whites in an egg-white omelet is only 102 calories (using Large sized eggs.)
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I went back to raw vegan (and lost most of my weight) before joining MFP. I joined to help with those last few lbs and started logging. I almost fell off my chair when I first realised that my green smooth was 600 calories! When your 4'11 and having it as well as 3 meals it makes a huge hole in your calorie allowance!