3 weeks in and I've just about had enough :-(

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Um the OP stopped replying and closed their food journal.
    Yeah, but I'm still waiting on an answer to the "carbs are directly stores as fat" issue.

You won't get an answer because it's not correct. It's bad science sold by low carb adherents.........
    Type 2 diabetes can be prevented and CURED with a permanent ketogenic lifestyle

Citations please? (and I mean peer reviewed, double blind sciency stuff not anecdotes)
  • needlessofme12
    Options
    Im a housekeeper I sweat all day and lift hospital beds to clean them but listen you have got to lower it because your body is use to climbing ladders ad if you stand on the ladder for more then 20 minutes at a time your not up and down all day.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    By all means, give up after a mere 3 weeks.

Or review the data you have collected thus far and figure out what you can do to improve things. Make small changes, adjust regularly as needed. This is an ongoing process, and if you are ready to give up after only 3 weeks, sadly, you will not be successful. I recently had a 3 month plateau. Data analysis...reduced my calories a wee bit, added a minimal amount of cardio back into my workouts...2 pounds lost. Small changes can make a big difference.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetes can be prevented and CURED with a permanent ketogenic lifestyle.
    Cured? No. Controlled? Yes.

At this point in time the consensus in the medical community is that there is no cure for diabetes. Once the pancreatic cells are damaged they cannot be repaired. There are a few medical professionals that claim diabetes can be cured, but there's no solid research to back up those claims.
  • ains1414
    Options
    Hi there!

I did not lose any weight in the first few weeks when I started mfp last year, then, it was completely accurate after about a month. In fact when I looked back on the entire month, in total, I lost all of the weight I had aimed to. Also, I would set your activity level to something lower. Painting and decorating definitley burns calories, but not like a mailman or waiter would. Also, just a tip, consider your general activity level as being outside of (or above and beyond) how much you exercise (as in at the gym or walking/running)

I have a desk job so I've set my activity level to the lowest one, even though I walk and go to the gym.

Hope this helps!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I needs carbs though - I'm diabetic :-(

Are you crazy?! YOU DO NOT NEED CARBS!!! That's insanity. Atkins is a diet prescribed FOR diabetics which LIMITS carbs. You're killing yourself thinking you need to rely on carbs for nutrition. The absolute most opposite thing you should be doing!

Sorry. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you HAVE to eat REAL food IN BALANCE. Try a Paleo or Atkins style diet. You don't have to go full on induction, but try to limit your simple carbs, such as sugar, bread, corn, pasta, sodas...those sorts of things. Structure your meals accordingly: 1. protein (chicken breast, hummus, PLAIN Greek yogurt, even steak!), 2. a veggie (green stuff! not starchy veggies and NO corn is not a veggie; it's a grain), and 3. a LITTLE fruit for your apparent sweet tooth.

I did the above and I stopped having the soar then crash cycles from simple carbs. You will feel SO much better, improve your blood sugar, AND lose weight.

Be good to your body and stop killing it!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

carbs and sugar are bad for a diabetic aren't they?

This is not entirely true....... I am type 2 diabetic and I must monitor my intake of carbohydrates but they do make up 50% of my macros. I tend to stay away from enriched white flours but eat my fair share of whole grains and my A1c have dropped from 10.0 4 years ago to averaging 5.3 the past 2 years....

^the above drives me nuts. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented and CURED with a permanent ketogenic lifestyle. "I need carbs because I am diabetic"... who the hell told you that!? Higher amounts of carbs can be included in a diabetic diet but then much care must be taken with constant blood sugar monitoring. Why do that? Is a daily bowl full of grains or piece of bread really worth that? Not for me. Nothing but good has happened to my health since ditching a high carb lifestyle; I wouldn't go back for anything. It's not "hard" and unless you call perfect health and effortless weight loss "suffering" then that's not happening either.

PS. If you are Type 1 diabetic, going crazy with sugar is also not advised.

This <3
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Um the OP stopped replying and closed their food journal.
    Yeah, but I'm still waiting on an answer to the "carbs are directly stores as fat" issue.

You won't get an answer because it's not correct. It's bad science sold by low carb adherents.........
    Oh, I'm aware. But she made the claim, offered a link to an article that did not back up her claim and then claimed she had other sources.

I'm patiently waiting.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

This is not entirely true....... I am type 2 diabetic and I must monitor my intake of carbohydrates but they do make up 50% of my macros. I tend to stay away from enriched white flours but eat my fair share of whole grains and my A1c have dropped from 10.0 4 years ago to averaging 5.3 the past 2 years....

^the above drives me nuts. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented and CURED with a permanent ketogenic lifestyle.

If the CURE requires a permanent ketogenic lifestyle, then it isn't one. Maybe a permanent ketogenic lifestyle can eliminate the symptoms of Type 2 diabetes (don't know, not bothering to do the research), but it is NOT a cure.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i hear here :( i been exercising for MONTHS and not losing anything!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^the above drives me nuts. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented and CURED with a permanent ketogenic lifestyle. "I need carbs because I am diabetic"... who the hell told you that!? Higher amounts of carbs can be included in a diabetic diet but then much care must be taken with constant blood sugar monitoring. Why do that? Is a daily bowl full of grains or piece of bread really worth that? Not for me. Nothing but good has happened to my health since ditching a high carb lifestyle; I wouldn't go back for anything. It's not "hard" and unless you call perfect health and effortless weight loss "suffering" then that's not happening either.

PS. If you are Type 1 diabetic, going crazy with sugar is also not advised.

Well then that is where we will just have to disagree to disagree..... When I started at over 500 pounds and was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (which runs in my family and my sister passed away from in 1997) I knew I had only one choice.. lose the weight and regain my life or I was going to die... I had the battery of test and went to my Endo Dr. and he set me up with a Registered Dietician and she set my Caloric intake(2500) and Macros (40 carb/30protein/30fats) which put me at 250 grams of carbs a day.. She instructed me to focus on my carbs first... Eat lean meats, veggies,fruits and whole grains and I could fill in my remaining calories with any discretionary foods I wanted... I was testing 4 times a day back then b4 and after meals... Fast forward to today (4 years and 312 lbs. down) I am maintaining at 4000 calories a day and my macros are now 50/25/25 and this is all working through the same dietician approving my every move... at my last Endo dr. check up he told me I only need to test once a day at a random meal either before or after my preference... I have maintain A1c averaging 5.3 for over 2 years now... I will be the first to admit what works for one diabetic may not be the right course of action for the next but I don't think my approach has put my health in jeopardy in the least...... Best of Luck ......

i might add there is NO CURE for Diabetes, once a Diabetic then you will always be a Diabetic there is no debate in that.... The best you can hope for is remission and then doing your best to keep it from resurfacing......
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't need to see your food journal to tell you that you're eating at maintenance. You're not eating too little. Cycling over the course of a week doesn't matter; you can eat 1000 over one day and 1000 under the next with no issues.

Eat a little less each day, maybe 500 calories less than what you're eating now. Come back in 3 weeks with a loss.

Being a painter on a ladder is probably more akin to "moderately active" on the calorie burn charts.
  • lulu0687
    Options
    Losing weight is hard work, I have tried everything. I've been yoyo dieting for years! I'm in the healthcare field, one of my clients gave me a treadmill(he had a stroke). I say he saved my life! I have back pain from lifting. This is a life change, you have to want this! The one thing I enjoy this time around, are all the recipes out there. You can revise them with healthy alternatives (like splenda, fat free products,butter alternatives,etc. You can eat anything you want, by decreasing portions or substituting ingredients. I wish you determination ! Stick to it for yourself!
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Carbs raise your blood sugar - I don't think that's what a diabetic needs.
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of Judgey Judgersons on this thread! Maybe, instead of being rude and condescending about things, you could perhaps try encouraging the poster?

As my maw said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything ;)
  • lulu0687
    Options
    You are right, carbs are suger! The more carbs I eat, the more I want! I cut out diet pepsi and noticed I don't crave sugar!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of Judgey Judgersons on this thread! Maybe, instead of being rude and condescending about things, you could perhaps try encouraging the poster?

As my maw said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything ;)
    Does MFP have staff somewhere whose job it is to post things like this in random threads?
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who completely cured her diabetes on a raw vegan diet and then slowly introduced some cooked foods back in. She doesn't need to inject at all any more and is doing great. She avoids all processed sugar though and overly processed foods.

I say eat very well.. lots of vegetables, raw if possible, fruit, quinoa, lean proteins and get your illness under control. I think it's best to think about long term health as well as fitness, though they are intertwined.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You are right, carbs are suger! The more carbs I eat, the more I want! I cut out diet pepsi and noticed I don't crave sugar!

/spoken word
    Sugar is a carb
    but are all carbs sugar?
    Is my broccoli sugar?
    But then
    perhaps everything is
    sugar
    in the long run.
    /spoken word
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    climbing up and down a ladder is only moderately active.. I climb the stairs every day to work but I definitely don't log that.

You probably aren't as active as you think you are either.

and LOL at this thread in general. Good way to end my day for sure.