Help! My fridge is overrun with zucchini!

Options

Replies

• missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Zucchini "spaghetti" is good!

I've heard that before. How do you do it?!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    zucchini bread is great you can get recipies on allrecipie.com

Definitely trying that one!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    If you can't fashion zucchini boats, slice them into 1/2" thick rounds. Hollow out the seeded part, put them it on parchment paper and put mozzarella cheese inside, spoon some pizza sauce in, sprinkle a little more cheese and some oregano on the top and pop them in the oven until melty at 350 for pizzucchini.

Sounds simple enough!! I wanted to try the boats idea, but I've heard it's harder.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    zucchini tacos! Quarter 'em and stir fry with onion, tomatoes, peppers--and add a cubed mango at the end and some lime and fresh cilantro. Serve on warm soft taco tortillas. Fast fresh summer taco night! Yummm!:happy:
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    you should make a bunch of chocolate zucchini bread and send it to me! :D
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I made a "gratin" of sorts recently with yellow squash that would work with zucchini. Thinly sliced zucchini layered with minced fresh garlic, a little salt and grated manchego cheese (parmesan or some other cheese would work too), and just repeat how ever many times ending with cheese. If you use a good flavorful cheese, it does not take much, and it was soooo good.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You could pickle it. :happy:
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Grate it and add it to spaghetti sauce or chili - it disappears! If you can't use it all, grate and freeze it in small baggies for future use.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Zucchini 'Steaks'==Grill 'em on the BBQ with a little Olive Oil, salt, pepper & Garlic powder. YUM!

Zucchini Bread is always a winner, but hard to just eat one slice.
  • tx_mom72
    tx_mom72 Posts: 96
    Options
    Wash, dry, slice & bag into potions to add to casseroles or soups. Veggie lasagna too! :smile:
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you can't fashion zucchini boats, slice them into 1/2" thick rounds. Hollow out the seeded part, put them it on parchment paper and put mozzarella cheese inside, spoon some pizza sauce in, sprinkle a little more cheese and some oregano on the top and pop them in the oven until melty at 350 for pizzucchini.

Sounds simple enough!! I wanted to try the boats idea, but I've heard it's harder.

It's not at all. I use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the seeds after cutting them lengthwise. You can do variations, too- chicken taco boats, southwest, enchiladas, etc.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I roast it. My hubby and kid love it.

Slice into rounds. I like to put it on parchment paper and just gently give the top a little spray of olive oil (you can oil the pan too if you don't have paper) and season...lemon pepper is good and so it just salt and pepper.

350 degrees until the tops just start to turn golden, maybe 30 minutes or so. They'll be all crispy on the bottom and sweet. Love it!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I gotta share this.

2 years ago I was working in West Hope, ND. It is a great town with great people, population 429.

One day I made a comment on everyone leaving their cars unlocked and often left running in the middle of down town while the owners took care of business. The person told me the only time they locked their cars was during gardening season. "Gardening season, why only then?", I asked. The person replied, "cuz if your friends find your car unlocked they fill it with zucchini! LOL
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I add mushrooms and tomatoes to mine bake in oven...olive oil....salt/ pepper or Lawrys. You can use ground beef or turkey brown it ...add spaghetti sauce....and basil, oregano and garlic....fresh or dried is fine. Parm on top if desired. I omit noodles as I am on zucchini harvest as well. : ) My kiddos and hubby seem to all enjoy.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I gotta share this.

2 years ago I was working in West Hope, ND. It is a great town with great people, population 429.

One day I made a comment on everyone leaving their cars unlocked and often left running in the middle of down town while the owners took care of business. The person told me the only time they locked their cars was during gardening season. "Gardening season, why only then?", I asked. The person replied, "cuz if your friends find your car unlocked they fill it with zucchini! LOL

^Hahaha :laugh: Can I live there?! I wouldn't be said to be overloaded. Once armed with these recipes of course.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    A few ideas - Cream of Zucchini soup, if you leave the peel on you get a mildly rough chopped veggie in the creaminess of soup, and it's really pretty low in calories dispite the cream, because most of the soup is just the veggie.

If you peel the zucchini lengthwise until you reach the seeds you can fry it up with some olive oil and garlic, top with some fresh tomato and parmesean cheese.

You can do what I did today, which is use it as the filling for a calzone.\

Fry up the zucchini peeled as above, with some cubed eggplant and red bell pepper in butter or olive oil, with about three cloves of garlic, some salt, pepper, a really small dash of curry powder (if you like it spicy) and some red pepper flakes. Take that, pop it into some fresh pizza dough, fold, bake and serve with a dish of sauce on the side....mhmmm it was super tasty!
  • Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had bought a zucchini the other night and wasnt sure what to do with it either so I put some olive oil in a pan, added sliced zucchini, corn, onion, and bell peppers. I seasoned it with garlic, salt, pepper, and a little bit of paprika
  • nursecat1
    nursecat1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Now,that pizzazuchinni sounds doable. Sorry,but too much" bread "is my downfall. I grill thick slices,with mushrooms and then sprinkle oregano on top,maybe a bit of cheese,too(shredded). Yummy.:love:
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I made this last summer with all the zucchini I got from a neighbor, it was delish

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html