How to respond if someone says you're overweight!

Replies

• JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    "Thank you. I used to be obese."

Awesome!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    "Do you even lift bro?"
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Ron-Burgundy-Smells-a-Dirty-Pirate-In-Anchorman-Gif.gif
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Stating the obvious today?
    Perfection. End thread.
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Didn't read other comments but:

Use it as motivation, lose the weight, this is the best response
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    "Thank you. I used to be obese."

This is the best response. Thank you
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    "No I'm not" :smile:
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    When I was fat and not doing anything about it, it would hurt my feelings because I FELT GUILTY. Now, I would respond with something like,

"well thanks very much Captain Obvious, please see me in 6 months." and laugh like hell. Because all that would do is fuel my workouts. And - I feel fantastic because I'm working hard. Also, what they said is true, so why worry about it. If that's the only bad thing they have to say about me, yay for me!

I fully expect that even when I'm not fat, someone will say that one day, because it's hurtful and they're lashing out. No point in responding except to laugh. I love me - frankly, even if no one else does, I'm enough. :flowerforyou:
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Ron-Burgundy-Smells-a-Dirty-Pirate-In-Anchorman-Gif.gif

^^^^^^^^ hahahahaha
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,147 Member
    delawithit_zps5f05eebd.jpg

My verbal response is either "No *kitten*", "Thank you, Captain Obvious", or "Uh huh".
  • Amor
    Amor Posts: 61 Member
    It's funny how the "fit" people try to give a logical response... Being overweight doesn't give anyone the right to insult you. Unless they're a medical professional, what's it to them? The problem doesn't "lie within you" if you get offended. The problem is with that person and their mother/parent/gaurdian, who should have taught them how to respectfully talk to people.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    3om0p6.jpg
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    "Thank you, I was wondering if anyone noticed."
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    "I will kill your entire family"
  • Amor
    "Do you even lift bro?"

LOL!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    you-re-fat-don-t-try-and-sugar-coat-it-because-you-ll-eat-that-too.jpg

I have always found this hilarious. And I am fat so I feel I can honestly say for myself...it's accurate.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    My response depends on the persons age....

A child... I just explain how it isn't nice to comment on a persons size, color, or they way people look. I just assume that they weren't taught that at home.

An adult... I sarcastically tell them " Aren't you a GREAT friend! I obviously had no idea!" Then I just walk away smiling, because they usually never know what to say...lol

Is my way the perfect way to handle the situation? Probably not, but it makes me feel better.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    I like "Thank you Captain Obvious" :angry:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    can't comment because...rules.
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    I would say "Really? I had no idea. With all the commercials and TV shows telling people they are fat and overweight, I didn't put it together until you told me. Thank you."
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    I usually grab a fat roll and say "Erhmahgad, I DIDN'T KNOW"!
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    achmedani.gif

love this!!
  • I would say, "Yeah, but my boobs are so much bigger and look amazing!"
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    At least I have some cushion for the pushin, ya pole dancing hoe.
  • Soulpaint
    Soulpaint Posts: 33 Member
    It's funny how the "fit" people try to give a logical response... Being overweight doesn't give anyone the right to insult you. Unless they're a medical professional, what's it to them? The problem doesn't "lie within you" if you get offended. The problem is with that person and their mother/parent/gaurdian, who should have taught them how to respectfully talk to people.

This.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    I would say "Really? I had no idea. With all the commercials and TV shows telling people they are fat and overweight, I didn't put it together until you told me. Thank you."

Yes this would be my response....or laugh...
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member

It is a falacy to assume that a "fit" person was always a "fit" person. I suppose most would consider me fit. Although, 25 lbs of fat ago that was not the case. And when I got called fat then, my answer was generally "yep, I am." It is not an insult, it is a factual observation. Don't like it? Change the reality of it.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    About three years ago, I started writing a blog for plus sized horseback riders and called it "A Fat Girl & A Fat Horse" -- because, well, both my horse and I, at the time, and still currently are fat. It is basically about not putting things off "until you're skinny" and living your life regardless - it was about the same time that I took the negativity and emotion away from the word "fat" in my dictionary. Some of my friends were upset that I described myself using that word... but fat is a descriptor, just like tall, or blonde, or short. Some people may try to attach negative connotations, but really - that's about them, not about me. Out of respect for my readership who might be more sensitive about the "F" word, I do use "plus sized" instead of fat to describe them.

So my typical response is "So? You're tall."
  • Amor
    I would say, "Yeah, but my boobs are so much bigger and look amazing!"

LOL! If it was me you said it to you would win & I would walk away crying :sad:

lmao
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Generally, I look something like this.
    tumblr_inline_mmwhaw4kln1qz4rgp.gif