42 lbs doesn't look like much...

Options
...When you start out at nearly 400 lbs.

I've seen some update photos where people have lost 20 pounds and thier difference is amazing. But I've lost over 50 lbs and can't really tell a difference when I look at photos of me then and now. It's a little depressing but I think when you start out weighing as much as I did then it takes a HUGE weight loss before it's even really noticeable.

It's ok though. I can FEEL a difference and my clothes are definitely a lot looser - particularly my jeans.

Anyway, even though there isn't much difference I thought I'd post my update photos. Unfortunately I took my "before" photos after I'd already lost almost 10 lbs. lol So the "before" photo here is of me nearly 10 lbs lighter than my starting weight.

05-02-2010to09-14-2010_Front_Small3.jpg

Starting weight: 385 lbs. (4-25-2010)
Current weight: 334 lbs. (9-17-2010)
Goal weight: 140 lbs.

So far I've lost 51 lbs but I still need to do that about 4 more times before reaching goal weight - I have a LONG way to go.

I have worked hard for the past five months to get where I am at and do hope there are some clear visible differences soon. Even people who hadn't seen me in months still can't tell I'm losing weight. lol

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Losing a lot of weight and it still not being really noticeable?

Replies

• truecaligirl
    truecaligirl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is noticeable. Your hands, arms, face and side of your stomach look smaller. Keep it up. It takes time.:smile:
  • Lauris83
    Options
    yea, ur neck arms and waist look smaller :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Really? I think maybe I'm just standing a little farther back in the second one. I hope you're right though. :)
  • Wendybirduk
    Wendybirduk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh you can definitely see a difference! Look at your neck, arms and sides! You may not see much of a difference but you see yourself everyday!

Keep going hun and keep posting those piccies coz we can see the difference even if you can't!

Well done and keep it going! You are doing great!
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    A) Nice camera

B) You've DEFINITELY made progress. Your neck is slimmer. Your shoulders are less rounded. Your arms, waist, and hips have slimmed down. I can even tell that you've lost in your tummy - look at the way your shirt drapes on the before picture. Now look at the draping on your current picture - the fabric doesn't curve out as much! It's flowing on down, baby!

Something you might consider, and I know it is going to sound indescribably scary, but pick a swimsuit, or a bra and panties, and take pictures in those. And then, in 20 more pounds, wear that same outfit. Seeing yourself sans clothing is intimidating, I know, but I'm sure is also going to give you one hell of an adrenaline rush when you realize it isn't just your clothes fitting better, it is you fitting yourself better.

:heart:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    ...When you start out at nearly 400 lbs.

I've seen some update photos where people have lost 20 pounds and thier difference is amazing. But I've lost over 50 lbs and can't really tell a difference when I look at photos of me then and now. It's a little depressing but I think when you start out weighing as much as I did then it takes a HUGE weight loss before it's even really noticeable.

It's ok though. I can FEEL a difference and my clothes are definitely a lot looser - particularly my jeans.

Anyway, even though there isn't much difference I thought I'd post my update photos. Unfortunately I took my "before" photos after I'd already lost almost 10 lbs. lol So the "before" photo here is of me nearly 10 lbs lighter than my starting weight.

05-02-2010to09-14-2010_Front_Small3.jpg

Starting weight: 385 lbs. (4-25-2010)
    Current weight: 334 lbs. (9-17-2010)
    Goal weight: 140 lbs.

So far I've lost 51 lbs but I still need to do that about 4 more times before reaching goal weight - I have a LONG way to go.

I have worked hard for the past five months to get where I am at and do hope there are some clear visible differences soon. Even people who hadn't seen me in months still can't tell I'm losing weight. lol

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Losing a lot of weight and it still not being really noticeable?
    Here's where I see the changes... neck, hands, chest, fingers, arms, stomach, hips, ......hm, that's the body parts I see in the photo, so all in all...I DEFINITELY see a huge change :):)

Sometimes ppl at work or friends don't say anything for any number of reasons... I've had ppl over the years say something to me, be all excited, I'd gain some back, well, then what are they to say, they say nothing and don't say anything next time I lose for good. lol Maybe after 5 years of keeping it off ppl might comment to me more, I dunno. I'm doing it for me, so seeing me naked and in form fitting clothes thrills me far more than others right now.

I think you're worked hard and it's noticable Stacy!:smooched:
  • subtilty
    Options
    Firstly... Well done!! 42lbs is a fantastic loss :D Keep going!

I can see major changes!! Your face and chin is completely different and thinner, your arms have lost a couple of inches.. Even look at your fingers :) they are a bit thinner too. Obviously wearing Black and then Black.. your not going to see anything major body wise.. you need to wear light colours or how already recommended, as scary as it sounds.. underwear/swimsuit to really see the differences. x
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    i agree i think you look thinner
  • Equilibrium
    Equilibrium Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It is noticeable -- look at how much door there is behind you on the 'now' photo!
  • Chikorita
    Options
    Actually, it is noticeable. Your hands, arms, face and side of your stomach look smaller. Keep it up. It takes time.:smile:

Definitely noticeable. We can't see but I bet it shows in your face too.
    Also, I think wearing black it is harder to see any differences.
    Do NOT give up.
    You are doing really well!
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    That's whats so nice about the scale. Losing it slow and healthy you may not notice it but the scale tells the truth. I think losing 40 pounds is a huge accomplishment that you should really be proud of. Your an inspiration!
  • ambercole
    Options
    YEP! I can see it too!!! Your neck and arms are much smaller now. Wait!!!! Hold the phone!!!! Is that muscle definition in your forearms that I see????? Hmmmmm...... Great job girl! Keep up the good work!
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    Oh Hun...look at your arms! That right there shows big time. Because you started out higher than some it will not show as much right away. What you don't see is the years you just added to your life. The fact that your risk for diabetes just went down. The fact that I know you feel better about yourself now! You are awesome so don't let this get you down at all. It's a long trip but make it fun and it'll go by faster.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    HELLO??? Are we looking at he same pictures? You are doing an Awesome job, don't be so down on yourself... be proud of everyone of those pounds gone!!! Look at hose pics again, camera looks the same size and so does the door so those are the "controls" however, your arms have shrunk considerably and I can see Way more of the door... so you are shrinking pretty rapidly, too!! I am Proud of you... Keep up the Great Work... You Are Worth It!!!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! :D I'm so glad that you guys can notice a difference *even if I can't* lol. I will definitely keep up the work I've been doing. I have no intention of giving this up - this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. :) I'm really looking forward to some major changes, and though they haven't happened yet, I know they are coming.

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys! You've put a huge smile on my face!

*big hugs*
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I notice muscular definition in your arm. We are our own worst critics. But your profile picture is gorgeous too. I love your sassy look. Keep going strong.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You look sleeker. Maybe people think you are wearing foundation garments ~the after picture looks like you are wearing "Spanx" or some other body shaper. Keep up the good work.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    definitely noticable. but i do think the black clothing makes it harder to see! also try taking a side/profile pic you might notice other things from that angle too! like if the bootay has shrunk, or tummy or the girls :wink:

fantastic keep at it!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Look how much smaller your arms and neck are! My neck is where I first noticed weight loss too, but I'm a little jealous because my arms are not getting any smaller. Great job! Anyway, other people will see it before you do. We're harder on ourselves than other people. Just trust this throng of comments. :)
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to drop a note and tell you,should be proud of yourself! It takes a lot of effort and courage to not give up and do something for yourself and your future.Enjoy the journey ,as long as you keep going the finish line will come.[promise]:smile: You can tell a differance,always harder when looking at yourself then it is for others to notice! I know you will make it!!!!!!:drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!