How do you get in enough protein?

Options

Replies

• sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also have to get about that much protein (I'm pretty overweight still). I eat a lot of chicken, tuna fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, lentils, almonds, etc. Egg whites for breakfast. Protein shakes also, on the days I lift. A can of tuna fish has like 22g of protein for ~100 calories, for example, so just making sure to include protein rich foods like that at each meal is really helpful.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I have consistently stayed within my calories, burn crazy calories and keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. I've had some friends have huge success counting macros. Thought I would give it a try!

I don't know how religious you are about counting absolutely EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, but I tend to do really well, start losing, then get more lax and hit a slump. When I get to that point where I seem to be stalled, I always tighten my logging back up and things start moving for me again.

This is assuming, of course, that you're already doing a healthy cut off your TDEE as your total calorie requirement.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I consistently go over the amount of protein this site says i should have in a day. :o go figure.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of white meats and protein supplements: Optimum Nutrition Gold and Pro Complex, Pure Protein and quest bars. I average around 150-180 grams a day.

Really? That's just an amazingly huge amount of protein to me. But it's not like I'm an expert in this area. Are you a heavy lifter? Is that why you need so much? I'm just curious, for my own education.

Not a heavy lifter, though I workout with weights four times a week and I also do some form of cardio six times a week. I feel it gives me the necessary energy to do what I need. I think this amount would a little overkill if you weren't working out consistently. That said, IMO the protein recommendations on here are too low - especially if you are very active.
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have consistently stayed within my calories, burn crazy calories and keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. I've had some friends have huge success counting macros. Thought I would give it a try!

I don't know how religious you are about counting absolutely EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, but I tend to do really well, start losing, then get more lax and hit a slump. When I get to that point where I seem to be stalled, I always tighten my logging back up and things start moving for me again.

This is assuming, of course, that you're already doing a healthy cut off your TDEE as your total calorie requirement.

I am a religious fanatic about logging ;) I was eating about 1500/day...way lower than my TDEE requirement. I was using MFP's suggestions for losing 2/week. I was burning 600 cal+ a day, and not eating the exercise calories. My friends suggested that I eat most of my exercise calories, then the scale started moving. My diet has been all over the place though...some days the 1500 calories were pure crap...other days healthy, but I didn't have any protein at all. I work all the time, so it's hard to get in the good stuff. If I have a plan, I'm sure I can make more balanced choices. Thanks for the help!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100g a day, and I don't use protein powder (just didn't feel the need to, with my current goals). You're welcome to creep my diary for ideas.

But what helps me is that I like dairy - I get a decent part of my protein from dairy. Whatever I have for protein at lunch and supper makes up the rest.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    MMM .. Quest bars!! Gaspari Protein shakes, Chicken, Tuna, Turkey, Lean Steak, Tilapia, Salmon, Cottage Cheese and some low sugar Greek Yogurt.. Protein is one thing I never have a problem getting ;-))
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    I eat a lot of white meats and protein supplements: Optimum Nutrition Gold and Pro Complex, Pure Protein and quest bars. I average around 150-180 grams a day.

Really? That's just an amazingly huge amount of protein to me. But it's not like I'm an expert in this area. Are you a heavy lifter? Is that why you need so much? I'm just curious, for my own education.

Not a heavy lifter, though I workout with weights four times a week and I also do some form of cardio six times a week. I feel it gives me the necessary energy to do what I need. I think this amount would a little overkill if you weren't working out consistently. That said, IMO the protein recommendations on here are too low - especially if you are very active.

Totally depends on the person's weight and goals.

Someone heavier will have higher protein requirements than someone lighter. I try for 120g per day and I am almost at goal. Lifting means you have higher protein needs, as does being at a caloric deficit, as it promotes LBM retention and satiety.

The standard recommendation is to aim for a minimum of 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, not total body weight. This is the only thing the OP may be confused about.

OP, are you calculating your protein needs based on pounds of lean body mass or total body weight?
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump, I'm wondering too!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I realize, looking back through my diary, that I'm a total carb addict. I snack on fruit, veggies and hummus. My meals have been within my calories, but 70% carb. I can definitely do better! Thanks

Yep. I've found the hard part isn't really getting protein, it's keeping the carbs reasonable while getting the protein.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I found scallops to be a great source, if you can fit them in your budget. Around here it's $16/lb and I eat half a pound as a single serving. I think there's about 50g of protein right there.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I bet eating more turkey will help keep you satisfied and you might even see the carb craving lessen somewhat (that's what happened for me, I still like my carbs, but I am so busy fitting in the protein, who has room for them, lol) Good luck to you!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You don't need that much. 75mg is fine. You can try adding in a low fat/carb protein shake once a day if you feel you -need- to but you already are getting plenty.
  • yobby1969
    Options

Totally depends on the person's weight and goals.

Someone heavier will have higher protein requirements than someone lighter. I try for 120g per day and I am almost at goal. Lifting means you have higher protein needs, as does being at a caloric deficit, as it promotes LBM retention and satiety.

The standard recommendation is to aim for a minimum of 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, not total body weight. This is the only thing the OP may be confused about.

OP, are you calculating your protein needs based on pounds of lean body mass or total body weight?

I used two calculators...one was total body weight and one was lean body mass. I'm guessing on my lean body mass, last time it was measured was 20 years ago, when I was an athlete. The total body weight was way too high.. like 161g
  • Ajcole002
    Ajcole002 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For around $15-17 I get a container of protein powder from Walmart. 32 grams of whey protein per scoop. I use 2 scoops in 8 oz of water or milk on days I lift. One scoop on days I don't. Also I like to use the steamer basket, that came with my stock pot, to make hard boiled eggs. 12 minutes of steaming them and they are just right. I usually do 12-14 at a time and eat the whites as a snack, or I have 4-8 with some Scottish oatmeal (with dried cranberries, dates and figs added) or some Fage Greek 0% fat yogurt with a couple teaspoons of honey and 2-3 drops of vanilla extract for breakfast. I also eat a lot of baked chicken.

From 1999-2002 when I was working out all of the time I would have 3 protein shakes (50g whey and whatever was in the 8 oz of milk), 2-3 protein bars with 25-30 grams whey protein, plus tons of egg whites and meats. I was hitting around 1.5-2 grams per pound of body weight, but I also lifted for 2+ hours 4 days a week, swam 3 days a week, rode my bicycle 40+ miles twice a week, ran 2 miles before and after lifting (except on on heavy leg day when it was just before), and played back yard soccer with friends for 3 hours on Sundays. I was 183 pounds back then. Now that I have a wife and kids I wonder how I used to accomplish all of that, lol.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

I used two calculators...one was total body weight and one was lean body mass. I'm guessing on my lean body mass, last time it was measured was 20 years ago, when I was an athlete. The total body weight was way too high.. like 161g

A more accurate way to do it is to figure out your body fat percentage (via calipers or online calculator, preferably calipers), take that percentage of your total weight, and subtract it to get your LBM.

For me:
    136 lb total weight.
    20% body fat
    20% of 136 is 27.2 lbs of fat
    136 - 27.2 = my lean body mass (IE everything but fat), which is 108.8, round to 109, so I have a minimum requirement of 109 g protein per day.

Sorry if I oversimplified. :flowerforyou:

(ETA: Using an online calculator gave me 100 lbs of LBM, which is obviously wrong)
  • yobby1969
    Options
    For around $15-17 I get a container of protein powder from Walmart. 32 grams of whey protein per scoop. I use 2 scoops in 8 oz of water or milk on days I lift. One scoop on days I don't. Also I like to use the steamer basket, that came with my stock pot, to make hard boiled eggs. 12 minutes of steaming them and they are just right. I usually do 12-14 at a time and eat the whites as a snack, or I have 4-8 with some Scottish oatmeal (with dried cranberries, dates and figs added) or some Fage Greek 0% fat yogurt with a couple teaspoons of honey and 2-3 drops of vanilla extract for breakfast. I also eat a lot of baked chicken.

From 1999-2002 when I was working out all of the time I would have 3 protein shakes (50g whey and whatever was in the 8 oz of milk), 2-3 protein bars with 25-30 grams whey protein, plus tons of egg whites and meats. I was hitting around 1.5-2 grams per pound of body weight, but I also lifted for 2+ hours 4 days a week, swam 3 days a week, rode my bicycle 40+ miles twice a week, ran 2 miles before and after lifting (except on on heavy leg day when it was just before), and played back yard soccer with friends for 3 hours on Sundays. I was 183 pounds back then. Now that I have a wife and kids I wonder how I used to accomplish all of that, lol.

And you probably had a full time job too! I used to be a personal trainer and I worked another full time job,went to school, had an active social life, AND spent 3 hours in the gym! Now...15 yr old kid, full time job, social life (ha!), gym 6 days a week (I feel like a rock star!), and once in a while get to sleep in! This is my new "full" life, lol
  • yobby1969
    Options

A more accurate way to do it is to figure out your body fat percentage (via calipers or online calculator, preferably calipers), take that percentage of your total weight, and subtract it to get your LBM

For me:
    136 lb total weight.
    20% body fat
    20% of 136 is 27.2 lbs of fat
    136 - 27.2 = my lean body mass (IE everything but fat), which is 108.8, round to 109, so I have a minimum requirement of 109 g protein per day.

Sorry if I oversimplified. :flowerforyou:

Simple is good! lol I'm confused now about what I'm supposed to do. My friends used their total body weight, calculated their TDEE, took 20% off that to lose weight, then calculated their macros on the new number.

I need to calculate my bodyfat again. Back in the day, I had 120 lbs of lean body mass, according to my trainer at the time. Now, I'm 41, probably lost a lot of muscle.
  • celestrine
    Options
    The only meat that tastes good to me is fish, crawfish, and chicken (Depending on how its made). So I really don't get enough protein, just like you, unless I start using some sort of whey protein shake for breakfast with fruits and soymilk. I like the powders at trader joes the most I think.
  • indyakh
    indyakh Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Vega One All-In-One Nutritional Shake. It is a plant-based supplement, gluten-dairy-soy free, 1 scoop ='s
    15g Protein = 2.5 eggs
    1.5g Omega3s = 2.3 servings of salmon
    1bil Probiotics = 1 cup of yogurt
    6g Fiber= 3.2 slices of bread
    Vegies = 3servings of Greens
    Antioxidants = 2.7 cups of blueberries
    Total 50% Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamins & Minerals = 1 serving scoop

I use with distilled/purified water (Our city water contains chlorine which kills the probiotics) and/or almond milk to mix with the scoop. I also add fresh greens, fruit, and flax or chia seed when I make the drink in my Magic/Nutro Bullet. Talk about a mega powerful filling drink. My dietician told me to get my fiber up to 30-40g a day to lose weight, adding flax and/or chia seed to drinks and meals help to get to that goal.

Most people are gluten and dairy sensitive, which can cause many medical problems. Reducing your bad carb intake will help to lose weight. If done healthy, a gluten free diet will aid in weight loss and carb/sugar cravings. Whey protein, wheat, can due the opposite if you happen to be gluten sensitive and not know it. I hated finding this out from my doc, but got to say I feel much better!!!